• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances? I need advice.

Callesw

Greetings Everyone,

I need some suggestions as I am debating wheter I should go ahead and submit my package or re-take the ASTB to get a better score. Honestly, I only studied for the ASTB for about 2 weeks and I am confident that I can do better. I did not like taking the computer test because it was slow and the guys at MEPS were having difficulty setting up the test. I felt as if the computer cut the time short. I was thinking about submitting once and if I get rejected I could retake the ASTB and re-submit with better scores. I only want to send my package ASAP so that I can re-submit prior to transfering to another command. This is where I stand:

Submitting for SNA/SNFO/AMDO.

-25 year old PO2 (AW/SW) (6 years in aviation community)

-ASTB: 4/4/4 42 (OCS Inst. states that minimum requirements are 3/4/4).

-3.16 GPA- Bachelor's of Science in Business Administation Accounting Major
-3.22 GPA- Associate's in General Studies

-Extracurricular activities:
Navy Region Southwest Honor Guard
Volunteered hours to support Base VITA program.

-PRT: Latest was Good Medium, hoping to get Good High or Excellent Low
on this next one(in two weeks).

-AWARDS:
LOC from Admiral
LOC from OIC

-EVALS: EP, EP, MP.

Callesw

The current enlisted to officer instruction (1420.1) does state that the Pilot/NFO minimums are 3/4/4

I do realize that if I can bring those ASTB scores up, I can be more competitive with the rest of the people that apply. I just don't want to re-test and get an even lower score, but I now have an idea of the questions they ask. I need to study the aviation part a little more.

Anyone on the board taken the 3 forms of the ASTB tests? Are they the same tests arranged in different format or are they totally different questions? I do not think that the ARCO book was helpful except for the Spatial part. Any suggestions on what I should study for the Aviation part?

Thank you for the comments.

Callesw

That was my first eval at the present command. Starting on a new command, you have to prove yourself and work hard to earn an EP. That is exactly the reason why I would like to sumit my package prior to transfer. If I check into a new command I will have to start over and prove to my superiors of my potential.

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Callesw said:
The current enlisted to officer instruction (1420.1) does state that the Pilot/NFO minimums are 3/4/4

The minimums are just that: Minimum. It's like saying all you need is a 2.0 to graduate college, but good luck finding a job. Take the test again if you're serious about submitting an OCS package.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
Callesw said:
That was my first eval at the present command. Starting on a new command, you have to prove yourself and work hard to earn an EP. That is exactly the reason why I would like to sumit my package prior to transfer. If I check into a new command I will have to start over and prove to my superiors of my potential.

Yeah, good. A decreasing FITREP (decreasing score with same rep. senior) WILL NOT get you far on the officer side of the house.

Make sure that if you do decide to start over, you get the fact that you WANT O PROGRAM to your entire chain. They'll support you if you are indeed a SH sailor...talking about that, do you have OCS/STA 21 in your "Recommend for" blocks above the summary section? You should have those for at least 3 in a row...

Just a few thoughts from a former DIVO.
~D

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Callesw said:
Starting on a new command, you have to prove yourself and work hard to earn an EP.
So that's how it works.

BT

Make sure your evals from here on out reflect a recommendation for OCS, whether it's in the actual writeup on the back or in the block with two places for recommendations of duty assignment (Block 41).

Edit: just saw that Chunks said the same thing. Sounds like good advice to me.

Callesw

I have been recommended for either the STA-21 or the OCS program on all of my evals. I talked to one of the officers at my command and he said that I should go ahead and start applying. I did a research and there is a few other people on this board that have gotten picked up with my scores.

Thanks for everyone that has provided some kind of input. Finding this website has been a blessing.