• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances? Getting commissioned and into flight school.

chadsalt

I am currently a rising Senior in the Aerospace Engineering program at Virginia Tech. Recently I have had a change of heart, and like many others I really want to fly while also serving my country.

Basically, I want to know what I am up against. From what I've read, recruiters will tell you that it is impossible to get flight school guaranteed, when it actually is possible (but difficult). I would prefer the Navy, but am open to all branches, which branch gives me the best chance of flying? (I don't care if fixed wing or rotary)

My GPA is solid (3.64 in-major and 3.47 overall). Also, I will be starting a summer internship with Lockheed Martin on Tuesday, I don't know if this is relevant. It will involve missiles systems for the Trident II sub and I will be receiving secret security clearance.

Thank you in advance for any and all advice, and don't be afraid of hurting my feelings.

Gator Guard

always knife hands
It's obvious you haven't done even cursory research yet. Try to learn as much as you can on your own by reading what's already been written on this site, then come back with questions.

chadsalt

It's obvious you haven't done even cursory research yet. Try to learn as much as you can on your own by reading what's already been written on this site, then come back with questions.

Actually I have researched this topic quite a lot. It has been awhile however, about two years. This was something that I was heavily interested in while I was still attending Community College (Transferred to VT July 2013). I was momentarily distracted by the hefty paychecks that I could receive after graduation, but I again had a change of heart and REALLY want to do this if possible. With one year left till graduation, I want to get the ball rolling now. However, I am running into the same problems that I ran into two years ago while researching, mixed information. I have never seen so much mixed information on a topic, so I don't know what is true. Some people say you're best chance is Army because it has the most slots, mostly helis of course. Others say Navy, and others say Marines because they are the only branch that can guarantee a chance to attend flight school. And then again, there are those that say it is possible to guarantee flight school in other branches, and those that say it is 100% impossible no matter the branch. Nobody really seems to recommend Air Force. Then moving on to the Academy vs. ROTC vs. OCS thing. I did not do ROTC, some people say I don't have a shot in hell because of this, while others say it's fine. So basically what I was trying to get clarified is if I do stand a chance, and if so what is the best route to take at this point? I understand if you don't want to answer the question because repeat questions are annoying, but if you were to point me in the direction of certain sections or threads it would be much appreciated.

MemphisBell

pilot
ok guys.... take it easy on him. @chadsalt this is a very informative site with tons of information on navy aviation and becoming a navy aviator. You can usually find what you are looking for by looking around for a little bit. I am a recent SNA (student naval aviator) select so if you have any question that you cant find on the site, feel free to send me a message. Also, seems like you have the beginnings of a great pilot application but I will tell you that the ASTB is the most important. However, there is tons of information on here to help you study for it. Good luck!!!

chadsalt

ok guys.... take it easy on him. @chadsalt this is a very informative site with tons of information on navy aviation and becoming a navy aviator. You can usually find what you are looking for by looking around for a little bit. I am a recent SNA (student naval aviator) select so if you have any question that you cant find on the site, feel free to send me a message. Also, seems like you have the beginnings of a great pilot application but I will tell you that the ASTB is the most important. However, there is tons of information on here to help you study for it. Good luck!!!

Thank you for the serious input, I definitely will.

MemphisBell

pilot
I remember hearing the whole "the marines guarantee a pilot slot" but all the other branches also do the same. However when you go the academy or ROTC route you pretty much sign that you will do service after you graduate. With OCS, if you put in for pilot and don't get it, you are not under any obligation.

chadsalt

I remember hearing the whole "the marines guarantee a pilot slot" but all the other branches also do the same. However when you go the academy or ROTC route you pretty much sign that you will do service after you graduate. With OCS, if you put in for pilot and don't get it, you are not under any obligation.

Awesome, that's what I like to hear. I would like a guarantee if possible because I know that this Lockheed Martin internship has the potential to turn into an awesome career choice. However, even if I don't get a slot I would still consider something else within the military. I guess my next step is to talk to recruiters and study like crazy for the ASTB.

MemphisBell

pilot
I graduated back in 2012 with a mechanical engineering degree and started working for a orthopedic company with very nice pay and benefits. However, after 3 years of working in a cubical, I really don't see myself being happy making a career out of it. Now.... I know that I might join the military and hate every minute of it but I know if I don't at least try that I would always regret it.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
Go and talk to recruiters from each service. With your 3.47 GPA I assume you have the ability to read a contract so you know exactly what you're getting. No?

Then again, that ability may be needed more on the F-35.

chadsalt

Go and talk to recruiters from each service. With your 3.47 GPA I assume you have the ability to read a contract so you know exactly what you're getting. No?

Then again, that ability may be needed more on the F-35.

Haha well hopefully I'll get into flight school and that thing will be ready to fly by time a graduate.

exNavyOffRec

Find a recruiter and take the ASTB, if you get a really good score you should have an excellent shot at being selected, but no one can say what the future may hold, unforeseen medical issue, air sickness, etc.... lots of things that could derail a chance to fly for the USN, but step 1 is finding a recruiter and taking the ASTB.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
back when I was a high school senior in the 2000/2001 timeframe, I talked to a recruiter and he said there was no chance I'd ever get into naval aviation, suggested I enlist (ie his job) and I walked out. Needless to say, he was very wrong. Don't worry about that. OCS is your jam if you aren't turning 27 (or 27.5 or whatever it is) anytime soon. I personally doubt you would have much trouble as a VT Mech E grad as long as you aren't snuffing lines of coke on the weekends and you have been a contributing member of society.