• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What are my chances for a NROTC scholarship?

Nick Termini

I'm currently a NROTC applicant (high school senior) and was wondering what you guys think my chances of getting the scholarship are. Here are some stats:

GPA: 3.843
SAT: 1910
I just took the Math 2 and Physics subject tests (waiting on scores)
I've taken the most advanced courses possible (AP/honors) except my freshman year
Three seasons of sports per year
Eagle Scout and SPL
Volunteer Firefighter/EMT
I sent my application in around mid-August, in time for the first set of boards
Not sure if this has any bearing on the application, but my brother is a Marine option with NROTC (he just graduated college and is going to TBS soon)
I've had my interview and thought it went OK (I was pretty anxious)

My five schools are:
1- University of Wisconsin-Madison
2- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
3- University of Colorado Boulder
4- University of Maryland:CP
5- Penn State

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Given what you have posted you are definitely a player. I do question your judgment and critical thinking skills based on the list of schools you have applied to. ;) Nothing is guaranteed. Competition is stiff these days. Good luck.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm currently a NROTC applicant (high school senior) and was wondering what you guys think my chances of getting the scholarship are. Not sure if this has any bearing on the application, but my brother is a Marine option with NROTC (he just graduated college and is going to TBS soon)
From what you have posted, I'd say you are well qualified; however, no one here can quantify "What are my chances...." for any program, and we don't try. Good on your Bro going Marine/TBS, but it has no bearing on your selection. Much patience will be required, as there will be long waits between stages of your applicaton processing/approval.;)

Good luck with your applicaton, it looks like you have all your ducks lined up.:)
BzB:cool:

Last edited:

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Nick, it seems to me that you have a strong set of qualifications, but I honestly do not know what the current competitive minimums are for landing a scholarship. Hopefully some of your peers or people more knowledgeable can chime in and help answer. Concur with the above, patience and persistence pay off, since it can be difficult to answer "what are my chances" type questions.

Good luck!

John

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Have you contacted your top three NROTC units to see how they fair every year with scholarships and to find out more about the unit? You'll want to speak with the recruiting officer. When I was at Penn State, we always had a scholarship waiting list of about 10 people. About three of those 10 we able to activate their scholarship at the unit. The rest had to re-compete for a 3-year scholarship.

As others have stated, your chances look pretty promising from your stats posted. Some folks don't find out about being selected until the summer before school starts, so keep the faith and have a back up plan. (*If you don't get a scholarship, where would you like to go and will you join the NROTC unit anyway?)

Last edited:

Renegade One

None
I'm currently a NROTC applicant (high school senior) and was wondering what you guys think my chances of getting the scholarship are. Here are some stats:blah…blah…blah.
Just for the sake of "honest feedback"…you sound like a totally untalented lazy lima bean who coasted through your parents' money and are now hoping to hitch your miserable wagon to the fact that your brother is a Marine option en route to TBS. How sad…

[LEGAL DISCLAIMER: If OP took his own life due to perceived "bullying" on the AW site and the reply attributed to me herewith and forthwith, I hereby absolve and distance "air warriors.com" from any responsibility for the fact that OP couldn't read a post all the way to the end.]

Oh, wait…just kidding! Seriously, like everyone else above has said, looks like you're a "high-stakes player". You certainly would have taken my slot…if you were applying during the Vietnam war. ;) (As memory serves, I don't think there were many contenders…it was a "sellers' market")

Work the process…be patient…I'm sure you'll be with us here on this forum for a long time to come. I certainly hope so. Hope one of your schools of choice works out. Welcome to the fray!

Cheers, R1

Last edited:

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just for the sake of "honest feedback"…you sound like a totally untalented lazy lima bean who coasted through your parents' money and are now hoping to hitch your miserable wagon to the fact that your brother is a Marine option en route to TBS. How sad…

[LEGAL DISCLAIMER: If OP took his own life due to perceived "bullying" on the AW site and the reply attributed to me herewith and forthwith, I hereby absolve and distance "air warriors.com" from any responsibility for the fact that OP couldn't read a post all the way to the end.
Saayyy whaat?:eek:
Oh, wait…just kidding! Seriously, like everyone else above has said, looks like you're a "high-stakes player". You certainly would have taken my slot…if you were applying during the Vietnam war. ;) (As memory serves, I don't think there were many contenders…it was a "sellers' market")

Work the process…be patient…I'm sure you'll be with us here on this forum for a long time to come. I certainly hope so. Hope one of your schools of choice works out. Welcome to the fray!

Cheers, R1
Phew... Oh, now I get it... I thought it was gonna be th start of an EPIC doggie pile!;)
BzB

Renegade One

None
Saayyy whaat?:eek:

Phew... Oh, now I get it... I thought it was gonna be th start of an EPIC doggie pile!;)
BzB
YES…you got it. The message is "READ THE FUCKING QUESTION [OR STATEMENT] ALL THE WAY TO THE END" before you formulate/choose your response."

P.S.: I hope it will be a dog-pile on OP's side. He sounds pretty good.

BusyBee604

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
YES…you got it. The message is "READ THE FUCKING GOL DURN QUESTION [OR STATEMENT] ALL THE WAY TO THE END" before you formulate/choose your response."
I did read the post to the end before I replied... IT WAS IN JEST! I stand solidly behind my response.:confused:

P.S.: I hope it will be a dog-pile on OP's side. He sounds pretty good.
As do I, see my previous post #3, this thread.;)
BzB

Last edited:

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Sorry 'Gade... Not fluent in SWOhili!:eek:
BzB
I weep for the past. I'll leave it to one of the SWO-Bros to "edumicate" you...
Not a SWO, but here's what Google turned up:
"Splice the Main Brace: For special occasions or for a job well done, the squadron leader would hoist the signal of Alpha-Delta-28, meaning Splice the Main Brace. This indicated the issuing of a double measure of rum for that day, in celebration. It can today also mean an invitation aboard for free drinks."