• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

What about the ones who can't apply because they can't cut the strings

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
And what about the opposite case, Wink? I think if we are the opposite, we deserve medals for pushing on against opposition.

My sad story:

So two days ago, I received my conditional appointment to the Virginia Military Institute. This should have been my proudest day. I showed it to all my friends in school. I showed it to my unit commander at NJROTC who told me not to show it to any of the other kids in NJROTC there since they would be jealous and hate me. And, besides my dad, I DIDN'T SHOW IT TO ANYONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY!

Why? Because, though my dad would prefer I become a doctor like everyone else in the family seems to do, he does support me to do what I want. BUT NO ONE ELSE IN MY FAMILY DOES. Not my mom, who is a wall street trader, not a typical woman's job, but she just laughed at me when I told her about the Navy, not my grandparents who think it is crazy, and not my aunts and uncles. In fact, besides my dad, not a single relative I have supports this. Even my counselor in school thinks I should have my head examined. I haven't even been able to tell any of my family I "applied" to VMI - forget telling them I was accepted!

When I come home from school in my Navy Junior ROTC cadet uniform on uniform day or my Navy sweats on PT day, I have to rush up to my room and hide it and my nicely polished shoes so no one in the family needs to be reminded about what I am doing. I have to slink around the house because I am wearing a Navy uniform.

One of my cousins was in Army ROTC and received a purple heart in Iraq as a 2nd Lt with the special forces. When I bring him up with my relatives, they all say how if his parents had known that Iraq was going to come down, they would have fought my cousin's decision to join ROTC too. I once discussed with my grandparents the NROTC scholarship, and they told my dad that if he was to let me take it, he would be selling his soul and mine for a few pieces of silver - like Judas Iscariot.

Flying? No way! :eek: That is like my deep dark secret! I don't want to end up being locked up in a mental hospital!

So, here. I am all alone in wanting to do this. Most of my family thinks I am retarded for wanting to do this. I discussed all of this during my officer interview, and I think I got bonus points for it.

But there you have it. There are some of us fighting an uphill battle to join the Navy. We wish there was a helicopter parent somewhere who would help us out a bit. Or be supportive.

That's also why I feel a bit sad when I see posts, like from A4sForever and Steve Wilkins, about how women don't belong in the military. I feel like I am fighting the battle on both sides.

Cams1215

That's a tough situation and I commend you for fighting for what you want... a little help and support would be a great thing. But do know this, when (not if)you do achieve your goal, it will mean more because of what you went through to get it.

BlackBearHockey

go blue...
I think if we are the opposite, we deserve medals for pushing on against opposition.

...words...

That's also why I feel a bit sad when I see posts, like from A4sForever and Steve Wilkins, about how women don't belong in the military. I feel like I am fighting the battle on both sides.

First off, and in all seriousness, congratulations on pursuing something in the face of adversity.

Secondly, please do not bring your soapbox to AW. If you want to pose a question such as how do I get my parents on my side, I'm sure people on here, including myself, would be happy to help you. I, personally, can't stand when someone gets on and whines about how nobody supports them and they deserve medals because their dad's a doctor and their mom's a wall street trader. If you think that adversity is going to be too tough, then don't do it. It's not a difficult equation. Don't think you're the first person to have a similar situation, and don't think that there aren't other people trying equally as hard or battling through much more significant issues to achieve a goal. Know what would happen if my parents pulled some Code Pink attitude? I'd tell them to pound sand. It's part of growing up. Instead of sulking in your room with your shoes, why don't you try to get them on board. It may take more than one conversation. It's not about what they want to do, it's about what you want to do. Chances are they're more misinformed than anything.

As for you calling out A4s and Steve, I'm pretty sure their careers in the fleet give them the right to have an opinion, even if it's different than your quaint NJROTC picture. I apologize that you feel sad when you read them. It makes me sad that you're sad.:icon_cryi

/rant

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Good luck to you, DSL1990.

Having been around USN for a few years, your situation is not that unusual. Sorry that most of your family does not support your decision...I hope that changes once they realize that you are succeeding in YOUR dream.

Best to you.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though my parents were supportive of me going into the military, I had a slight issue as I was still 17 when I graduated high school and didn't turn 18 until the end of my first semester in college. I was considering USCGA and USMMA when I was making all my applications, but since I was 17 I still needed parental approval and my parents flat out told me they would not support me with either of these. Navy was my first choice so it ended up not being an issue, but if they had been my first I would have been SOL until the next year. Are you 18 or going to be by the time you start the program? If so, don't worry. Once your parents see how happy you are with your choice odds are they'll be happy that you're doing something that fulfills you.

Dirty

Registered abUser
pilot
None
Contributor
I wouldn't say women don't 'belong' in the Navy. Have you thought about the Nurse corps, JAG or Civil Engineering? I keed I keed. Truth be told, in my fleet squadron we had about 6 females roll through in my time, both Pilot and NFO. TWO of them were worth their weight. Of the other 4, 2 were FENAB'd and the other 2 never qualified, or did out the door and were never given the 'keys'. There were men who did that too but it seems to get lost in translation, it just seems easier to tell a man he's f*cked up and he better fix it. The heat will be on for you to EXCEL (Telling a couple off color jokes and rolling with hearing them helps too). There's no turning back, we might as well embrace it. Good luck.

The phone is ringing, it's my command EEO, uh-oh.....I just went from a 5 to a 3

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
While I didn't have the opposition you did (my parents supported me), my extended family thought I was nuts, as I'm sure some of my acquaintances and friends probably silently thought the same. I knew this, and how much of a shit did I give? oh, that's right, a very little one...

Is this your life or everyone else's? If you want to do this and they don't like it, then fuck them! Wear your uniform with pride, and don't hide it because people show you opposition. I sure as hell wouldn't slink around Berkeley in uniform because people "didn't support me". Do what you want and give it your best effort. If people don't support you, fuck them AND their medical degree/wall street job.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
And what about the opposite case, Wink? I think if we are the opposite, we deserve medals for pushing on against opposition.
No medal, after all, you are pursuing a personal goal that you have dreamed of. It isn't like you worked 12-15 hour days for weeks developing a new preventative maintenance schedule for a multi million dollar piece of equipment when you could have been at your kids base ball games or golfing with your friends. Not like you exposed yourself to enemy fire to call in air strikes. You do however, earn a degree a admiration and respect. Like everything in life, your experiences mold the person you will become. Believe it or not, you will benefit from this experience. That will be your reward. And eventually most your family will come around. Congratulations on your appointment. Change your bio. You WILL be attending a military college as a midshipman.

red_ryder

None
While I didn't have the opposition you did (my parents supported me), my extended family thought I was nuts, as I'm sure some of my acquaintances and friends probably silently thought the same. I knew this, and how much of a shit did I give? oh, that's right, a very little one...

Is this your life or everyone else's? If you want to do this and they don't like it, then fuck them! Wear your uniform with pride, and don't hide it because people show you opposition. I sure as hell wouldn't slink around Berkeley in uniform because people "didn't support me". Do what you want and give it your best effort. If people don't support you, fvck them AND their medical degree/wall street job.

AND the horse they rode in on. A few of my family hate it, a few really support it, and most are just confused with variable degree of support.

Your dad's selling out for LETTING you? You're getting closer to being an adult woman now, the real question is, who's going to STOP you? Your dad is ahead of his game and knows he won't be able to for much longer, so he might as well support what makes you happy. Well done.

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Good luck. It sounds like you're trying hard already, so keep up the work, and you should be good to go.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I find the title of this thread ironic. It sounds like you're doing a very good job of "cutting the strings" and living your own life. That is a great thing- best of luck to you.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
You have to live your life.

Let your family enjoy their view from the cheap seats.

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Lots of soapbox words....

Is this why you've went on a spree of resurrecting any old thread where a bad thing is said about women in the military? I mean I understand your intentions and can respect why you do it, but I don't think you understand the audience you're preaching to nor do I approve of your methods.

HueyCobra8151

pilot
tiniest-violin.jpg