• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wetting Down

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Hey ya'll! Random question for people familiar with San Diego. My husband has his promotion ceremony on Saturday which means that in the very near future he will be responsible for coordinating his wetting down. Sadly, he has yet to be able to make any of the previous wetting downs that have happened in his chain of command due to duty or leave and thus has no clue where would be the best place to hold such an event.

What is a recommended place for this event? One friend recommended the 94 aero squadron but that seems slightly awkward as PenguinGuy is a SWO. :)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Anywhere is good. The idea is to celebrate the promotion. Ideally PeguinGuy combines his funds with a few others to have a blow out party!

-ea6bflyr ;)

Renegade One

None
Anywhere is good. The idea is to celebrate the promotion. Ideally PeguinGuy combines his funds with a few others to have a blow out party!

-ea6bflyr ;)
Concur with all of the above from ea6bflyr...

However, as one who orchestrates about 10-12 events per year for the local Tailhook Ready Room, here's some places where we've had "great times":
"Barefoot Bar" at Paradise Point Resort in Mission Bay. Show up...work a deal with the bar staff where anyone with a name tag or "the code" charges their bevs to the account.
"The Tilted Kilt" (either downtown or the Mission Valley location). Again, meet with the manager, work a deal.
Any of the "Filippi's Pizza Grotto" locations...all STRONG military supporters...and most have a private room for your use. We like Mira Mesa location best of all...
The Back Room at "Wine Steals" on Liberty Station. Good food, great wines (obviously) and beers...
"Gordon Biersch"...we've only ever gone to Mission Valley...
"Karl Strauss Beer Garden"...we only use the Sorrento Valley location...your mileage may vary....

For a "Totally SWO Experience", I'd talk to the folks with the San Diego Maritime Museum on the waterfront...maybe a special after-hours thing on HMS SURPRISE? Could totally ROCK...

"Bahia Belle" or [the other party boat?...name escapes me...] from the Bahia Hotel on Mission Bay?

"The Island Club" on NAS North Island? Totally non-denominational :)

Ideas....I've got a million of 'em...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
We did a H&F at Dick's Last Resort. The atmosphere kept the proceedings in the appropriate light. Parking is a pain since it's down town, but it was a great time.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
You guys are awesome! As soon as he gets off duty (tomorrow morning) I will be passing on the list of possibilities.

Ideally PeguinGuy combines his funds with a few others to have a blow out party!

I so wish this was the case, unfortunately everyone who has promoted recently already did this and the next round of promotions will be after he detaches. His timing could really use some work! lol

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
What is a recommended place for this event? One friend recommended the 94 aero squadron but that seems slightly awkward as PenguinGuy is a SWO. :)
Most 'Shoe' bases have a club or two that host small gatherings in a party room. If Hubby's SWOmates aren't allergic to Airdale environs, the I-Bar at the North Island BOQ, can handle wetting downs/retirement gatherings very nicely.

Word of caution, due to the contemporary military anti-alcohol environment, they are quite squeamish re. over-imbibing (legal issues). When I arranged my Daughter's wedding reception at the (former O-Club) at NAS Noris, I was not allowed to pick up the bar tab for the guests, as had been customary in our culture. They insisted on a no-host, each guest pay for their own drink/s basis (claiming that 'free drinks' encourage excessive intake). That hardly works well for a wetting down? For more info on the I-Bar call 619-545-0120. BTW the Noris Beach (former) O- Club, also has party rooms available.:)
BzB

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
You are awesome BusyBee!!! Thank you, I'll give him the numbers as this is obviously not a spouse-friendly function. :D

robav8r

None
Contributor
Word of caution, due to the contemporary military anti-alcohol environment, they are quite squeamish re. over-imbibing (legal issues). When I arranged my Daughter's wedding reception at the (former O-Club) at NAS Noris, I was not allowed to pick up the bar tab for the guests, as had been customary in our culture. They insisted on a no-host, each guest pay for their own drink/s basis.
Sweet Jesus BzB, is nothing sacred anymore ? Sometimes I question what is happening to our Navy . . . .

Renegade One

None
Word of caution, due to the contemporary military anti-alcohol environment, they are quite squeamish re. over-imbibing (legal issues). When I arranged my Daughter's wedding reception at the (former O-Club) at NAS Noris, I was not allowed to pick up the bar tab for the guests, as had been customary in our culture.
San Diego Tailhook Ready Room "rang the bell" at MCAS Miramar O'Club earlier this month...as we do every year at this time. Everyone seemed to appreciate the gesture...even the 2- and 3- stars drinking on our tab.

Semper Fi!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
San Diego Tailhook Ready Room "rang the bell" at MCAS Miramar O'Club earlier this month...
Reckon Miramar is one of the few 'true' O'Clubs left today. For a few cool ones at Happy Hour, after a tough week flying (while the bus full of local lovelies unloads, and the jazz combo tunes up).... All Hands Club anyone? You may be able to arm-wrestle a plane captain from your sister sqdn, for the fairest flower in the bouquet.:rolleyes:
BzB

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Word of caution, due to the contemporary military anti-alcohol environment, they are quite squeamish re. over-imbibing (legal issues). When I arranged my Daughter's wedding reception at the (former O-Club) at NAS Noris, I was not allowed to pick up the bar tab for the guests, as had been customary in our culture. They insisted on a no-host, each guest pay for their own drink/s basis (claiming that 'free drinks' encourage excessive intake). That hardly works well for a wetting down? For more info on the I-Bar call 619-545-0120. BTW the Noris Beach (former) O- Club, also has party rooms available.:)
BzB
Yet more proof that there is only one O-club worthy of the name left in the Navy . . . at Fallon.

helo_wifey

I planned my husbands LT promotion since they were all on the carrier and asked for help. We did a harbor cruise in Sydney Harbor which was nice. Heavy appetizers with an open bar. I think everyone enjoyed it.

I don't think you can go wrong with alcohol and food.

BlkPny

pilot
I don't think you can go wrong with alcohol and food.

This is pretty much all you need to know to have a successful wetting down. Or any other get-together.

Helo_Wifey has it all figured out.