• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

West Coast Helos to Pcola

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Was out at Williams Gateway Airport (former Williams AFB) today and US Navy Helos were everywhere. Went into the base ops snack bar and found a HSL-49 Lcdr running around with his hair on fire. He said all available HSL, HC and HS helos from the west coast were ordered out this morning to stage at NAS Pensacola for relief operations until further notice. They were given hours of notice. There was nothing pretty about it. It was a max effort. As the helos were made available a crew blasted off. All seemed to be stopping at Willie for gas. Any of you west coast helo bubbas have something to add? Or maybe you are already on the road.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
There were a s***ton of 60's and 53's flying in and out of Sherman Field in P-cola this morning when I was driving to muster...

From gossip around here, I'd say some of your info is on point... tho I dunno if the mobilzation is that extensive...

Try looking on a Navy news website...

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Live in the area and noticed a significant increase in the number of helos in the air heading east and west...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
bch said:
East coast Hawks are assisting as well.
How many legs would that be for a 60 from NASNI to NASP? Seems like it would take you forever to get there.

Brett

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Yeah, there was quite a row going down at the HTs today trying to get New Orleans sectionals and the like assembled and down to MAG 29, which is... well, doing what a ton of the other helo squadrons are doing.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Saw a blackhawk transiting westbound over I-10 while I was at site 8 today; didn't take long to figure where he was headed.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Granted, I am WAAAYYY out of the loop on the other side of the planet. But I just KNEW that there had to be all sorts of military assets converging down there. Haven't seen jack in the news about it.

Thanks for the posts. You helos bubbas fly safe and thanks in advance for all the hard work you will shortly be putting in for our fellow citizens in need! God, I wish I was there to help out...

bch

Helo Bubba
pilot
Also, a big deck amphib and another ship are in the gulf staging for helo ops and the truman and bluje ridge I believe are on the way (all of this has been published on CNN so not an OPSEC issue).

Brett, I have no idea how many legs it would take off the top of my head. My guess (and it is just that) would be about 3 or 4.

E5B

Lineholder
pilot
Super Moderator
East Coast Sh!tters and a few phrogs are representing as well.

phrogpilot73

bch said:
Brett, I have no idea how many legs it would take off the top of my head. My guess (and it is just that) would be about 3 or 4.
I doubt it would be 3 or 4 legs... Generally it takes us 3 DAYS to get from the east coast to the west coast. And that's flying 3-4 legs per day... I would say it's probably (since PCola is closer than New River), about 8-10 legs, and it will take them 3 days (if they fly 8 hrs per day)...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
I doubt it would be 3 or 4 legs... Generally it takes us 3 DAYS to get from the east coast to the west coast. And that's flying 3-4 legs per day... I would say it's probably (since PCola is closer than New River), about 8-10 legs, and it will take them 3 days (if they fly 8 hrs per day)...

If I got the LCDR correctly, he said they were going to RON in El Paso and make it to Pcola on day two. This guy was practically running to go to the head and get a drink and snack for the road so he could be back in the seat when the refueling was complete.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
phrogpilot73 said:
That sounds more like it. If memory serves from my -60 crew days: ~4.0 per bag at ~120 KTS cruise. That is one hell of a X/C. Even a full Prowler takes 2 legs from NASWI, and that's assuming favorable winds. East to west coast is always 3 legs and 6+ hours.

Brett

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hawkeyes and Greyhounds are also doing their part. Even VAW-120 has contributed assets.