• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weighted training (ankle weights, weighted vest, hand weights ets)

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Walk if you have to, but just set a mileage goal (and one thats ALOT more than you think is reasonable.) Run a mile walk a minute. This generally adds about 30 seconds a mile to your times, but it will allow you to go alot further. Set out to do 8-9 miles and tell yourself you are going to finish whether you have to crawl. The key is the mileage on your feet and not the speed. The speed will come and depending on your mileage... it will come fast. Good luck.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I kinda like the idea of incorporating walking into my running routine. It doesn't seem to out of the way at all and will bridge the gap to running a full 6-8 mile (my goal before OCS). Just so everyone knows, by the big PFT, I mean the FINDOC PFT. I haven't been pro reced just yet.

Sounds like my old problem...what's your form like? Are you taking bad strides?

I've been working on my form alot so I don't think that's the issue. I'm just really winded after doing the 3-4 mile run. I keep saying "I'm going to do the another mile" and by the end of the 4th mile (after doing push ups and sit up of course), I'm beat all to hell. But yeah, good stuff guys. I'm going to try the walk.

One question, would the run/walk thing in too close intervals ruin my PFT time?

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I didn't mean to walk/run the PFT, just to gain mileage training for it. If you can run a mile walk a minute for 9 miles you will help your 3 mile run time. Its all about making the 3 mile seem like more of a sprint. By covering lots of distance at a slower pace you will increase capilaries in your legs and lung effinciency. Good luck, and keep us posted.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Or just put on a few pounds like this guy and haul it around when you run...same result, right?

Just so everyone knows, Schnugg's workout is picking up his "man mug." 52 oz. of pure whatever he wants in it. I kid you not, he walks around with it all day trying to act all manly with that bad boy... women checking him out from across the pool whispering "wow... what a huge mug" as Schnugg counts off "999" and struggles to get it to "oneeeee....thouuusand" as he breathes a sigh of relief, and then winks across the pool...

Hey it works for him apparently. And for 84 cents he fills it up with anything he wants (except coffee, that's 99 cents, of course.)

:D

snizo

Supply Officer
I remember my track coach telling us not to do that in high school - something about it being pretty bad for your joints. Convenience and quality rarely come in one package. Best way to improve your run is to train more.

BackOrdered

Contributor
Well I tried what was suggested. I did several sprints while running my usually distance and walked awhile afterwards for mileage sake and to cool down. This was after the push ups and sit ups of course. The good news is I knocked nearly a minute off my average time. The bad news is that my legs are killing me today. I guess I just need to get use to it.

pdx

HSM Pilot
The good news is I knocked nearly a minute off my average time. The bad news is that my legs are killing me today.

Yeah, this is pretty much how it is supposed to work. Are you telling me this is the first time your legs have hurt since you started running?

BackOrdered

Contributor
Yeah, this is pretty much how it is supposed to work. Are you telling me this is the first time your legs have hurt since you started running?

LOL NOooooooo!:icon_tong

I found that very funny. I started running about 2 or more years ago. When I started I was a complete mess. I had chronic shin splints, I'm talking major! That on top of just being in all-around poor shape. I wasn't hopeless, but I freaked out because at the time I wanted to go NROTC and I was such bad shape I'd get shin splints from walking (I was also 50 pounds heavier)! I saw a doctor about it, bought some awesome motion controlled running shoe, ran the treadmill religiously, and cut my diet to pieces. Now my legs are such that I prefer street running to track running (the rubber on the track interferes with the shock absorption in my shoes). When I see how far I've come I find it all amusing but at the same time, I see how fortunate I'm. *end of musing flashback*

Anyway............

I guess it has been just that long since I cranked my exercise regiment up a notch. You think that because you are dog tired you've progressed but that's not the case. A few pain killers, an ice pack, full lower body stretches, and a little R&R between workouts and I'll be good as new.:icon_wink

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You sponsor a plebe and it goes to their head....

Youth these days...no respect.

I suppose I could wear an inner tube and a dress to look cool, too....
X

What's wrong with this mug?
bigmug.jpg

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
See this is exactly what I'm talking about people... He took this picture with mug in hand, gave me that girly towel and makes me carry all that stuff... all because I am the handsome, young, in-shape midshipman who the (good-looking) lifeguarded totally wanted and he had to make himself feel better by making me look that way. He even did it in a 7-11, mocking me as he took a small coffee mug and suggested, in front of everyone, that was the "midshipman mug." Heed no advice from Schnugg, he stoops down to making people feel bad in a 7-11, just so he can feel better about himself in front of the two guys behind the counter who can't even understand what he's making fun of me for.

P.S. - that cool mug isn't his either. His is "chromed out" thinking he can fit in with the mids... he tells people he's "hip and hop" and then starts the macarena. No joke.

foniks

I doubt you hit a wall in endurance with 3-4 mile runs. Just slow your pace down, and run farther. If you can run 3 or 4, you can run 6. I wouldn't do the run/walk thing either, but that's just me. I would think that it would do more harm mentally, than just slowing down after 4 and biting it out. If it's Navy PRT then you don't necessarily need to run 6 miles, but I think that you should need to be able to.

Ankle weights are a horrible idea. It's not necessarily the added weight, but more the awkwardness that will lead to injuries.

BTW, what are you running on? Asphalt? Dirt? Grass? Get on some softer ground while you are upping your mileage.

I wouldn't necessarily worry about speed work right now if you can't run over 4 miles in one course. You need a larger base. You aren't in shape, yet. You'll get there, of course.

Anyway, if you up the mileage, before OCS, the most important thing you can do is listen to your body. When you are tired, rest and take it slower, when you feel good, go faster. You don't want to injure yourself before OCS, obviously.