• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weighted training (ankle weights, weighted vest, hand weights ets)

BackOrdered

Contributor
What's your take on weighted training? I was thinking of getting some light ankle weights, but I heard that there are many injuries involved in weighted jogging. It works from what I've heard, but is it worth the potential risks?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I can't imagine that wearing those weights would do anything but destroy any semblance of form. Running well (and fast) is about endurance, but it's also about attaining the proper form so that your body is using energy efficiently. If you want to improve your running, I'd skip the weights and focus on form. A good speed improvement drill is to do intervals of sprinting and running.

Brett

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
If you insist on weights, approximate what you'll be dealing with. Heavy boots; a light pack, and/or running with a 9-lb pole in port arms.

Yeah, I run on the track in my gym with a 9lb pilades stick thingy in port arms. What?

Edit: Ah, seeing how this is the Navy PRT, not the PFT you may want to skip all that. I don't think there's much boots and utes runs at Navy OCS.

Lawman

None
Im gonna tell you basically the same thing mmx1 just did. Boots and Utes running is a great equalizer. Theres lots of guys that are fast as hell in PT gear with go fasters on but take them out of that and they lack the combination of strength and indurance needed to run in the weight of that gear. That is the reason all our physically graded tests at OCS (Marines) are in boots and utes with the exception of the PFT. So if you want to do some weighted running get yourself a set of very good fitting boots with some high quality insoles so you dont do more harm then good and switch out one of your regular run days for a slower paced but long distance boots and utes run. If you wanna go one further switch out a couple days of running for boots and utes and do your own version of the Run Curcuit (cross training hell) that we do. Ive already figured out how to set up a Fartlek at my campus now Im just waiting for the go ahead from my Pediotrist to start doing it.

Sidenote : tax payers just bought me a very expensive set of orthopedic insoles from my doctor. Apparently nobody every stopped to tell me I pronate like a mo'fo.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Weighted training, like plyometrics, has its place in a (advanced) training program. But, my guess is that you are not at that place yet.

If I were in your position, I would stick with the advice given here by Brett. Get your form in good shape, maybe some interval training and, maybe, later, some strength training.

greysword

Boldly lick where no one has licked before
Sidenote : tax payers just bought me a very expensive set of orthopedic insoles from my doctor.

After reviewing my paystub for last month, all I can say is....You are very welcome! :D :tongue2_1

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Or just put on a few pounds like this guy and haul it around when you run...same result, right?

Attachments

• bigbut.jpg
    bigbut.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 76

BackOrdered

Contributor
I was just seeing if another else has tried it because I pretty much hit a wall in terms of endurance a week ago and now I'm doing everything under the sun to improve. I can pass the PFT with a minimal score blindfolded but that's not enough. I probably got another month before the big PFT and I'm looking for ways to take it to the next level. But yeah, ankle weights are out. I can ill afford to go to rehab for another injury.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Things to try:
Interval training/sprint drills (alternate 200m of sprints with light jogging for whatever distance you're running)

Hills (even on a treadmill) similar to the sprint drills, works your VOmax.

Pylometric jumps - find a 1-2 foot step or curb and do sets of 20 jumps. You can work these into your run.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
If you use weight, weight your torso, not your arms or ankles. Flak jacket, pack, or (I've been told) tying a rope around your waist and pulling a tire along the ground work for different people.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
How far are you running for training? You hit a wall in endurance? Try to go farther. Try to do 40-50 miles a week and don't worry about the speed. I haven't run less than 6-8 miles at a time in months, but I ran a 5k for fun and surprised myself with a 16 minute race. After jogging 15-20 miles 3 will seem like a run to the mail box and your confidence will be way up there.

BackOrdered

Contributor
How far are you running for training? You hit a wall in endurance? Try to go farther. Try to do 40-50 miles a week and don't worry about the speed. I haven't run less than 6-8 miles at a time in months, but I ran a 5k for fun and surprised myself with a 16 minute race. After jogging 15-20 miles 3 will seem like a run to the mail box and your confidence will be way up there.

By "brick wall" I mean I'm tapped as far as my running distances (which is usually somewhere between 3 and 4 miles) and I need a kick in the ass. I suppose I can attempt to double up my distances which will feel like pulling teeth. I've got a ways before I catch you as far as mileage. Geez, running bites. :icon_rage Then its like I say, There is always failure.

Lawman

None
By "brick wall" I mean I'm tapped as far as my running distances (which is usually somewhere between 3 and 4 miles) and I need a kick in the ass. I suppose I can attempt to double up my distances which will feel like pulling teeth. I've got a ways before I catch you as far as mileage. Geez, running bites. :icon_rage Then its like I say, There is always failure.

Yeah 3-4 miles is the shortest distance we run at Quantico, not knowing exactly what the Navy's PT at OCS is you might be ok but if you stretch that out into the 6-8 mile range you will be a PT stud when you show up and not sucking wind which makes you less of a target for the training staff.