• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight waiver for jets? (underweight)

RCArce01

Ha, as cool as that would be I meant 2nd generation as in my dad was a VMA/VMFA guy in Vietnam. Not 2nd gen platform.

Do you have an overactive thyroid?
If you have a really fast metabolism, that might be why. But once you hit your 30's, people will have no problem gaining weight, more so than they would like.
I had that checked once and the doc said everything checked out. But that was years ago so it might be worth another look.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
http://foodmed.net/2016/04/20/cracking-obesity-code-jason-fung-weight-loss-secret/

But back to Fung and how he can make you fat.

He says all he has to do is prescribe prednisone. Prednisone is a synthetic version of cortisol, the “stress hormone” that occurs naturally in your body as part of a class of steroid hormones known as glucocorticoids. It’s the one that courses through your bloodstream and gets your heart pounding when you feel under threat, in so-called “flight or flight” situations.

Prednisone is used to treat conditions such as cancer, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis and inflammatory bowel disease. Fung explains how and why prednisone treats serious disease but also makes you fat, just as the hormone insulin does. Insulin is the hormone your pancreas releases in response to carbohydrate food intake.

“It’s not coincidental,” Fung writes, “that both insulin and cortisol play a key role in carbohydrate metabolism.”

Prolonged cortisol stimulation raises glucose levels and subsequently insulin. This increase in insulin plays “a substantial role in the resulting weight gain”.
###

But, why you'd want to destroy your long-term health for it...

popeye123

Method 1: if you wanna gain weight the healthy way, i would suggest whey protein and hit up the gym 3-4 times a week. 3 scoops, twice a day, morning and after workout. You'll gain some muscle mass (weight), burn fat, and be much more physically in shape in terms of flexibility, strength and stamina.

Method 2: or you could do what most people do in our society...consume wholeheartedly. I would suggest a large coca cola and big macs on a daily basis. you could switch it up and try some other cool stuff like Papa John's, Jack in the Box (they got a pretty good breakfast menu) and KFC's 20 piece hot wings with honey mustard...delicious meals full of calories and protein for weight gaining needs. Oh and just go to sleep when you're done eating, not much exercise needed in this method. :cool:

Just kidding about that last method...but honestly, method 1 is a good choice for gaining weight. Just gotta put in time and effort at the gym. It's also a normal life style for many body builders.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I'm the type where I could eat pizza and burgers for a week straight and maybe gain a pound if I'm lucky.

S25EO.gif

Squawk7700

If you can afford it. :)

My info is dated, but I was one scrawny SOB as an ENS/JG. I think I weighed a buck thirty soaking wet as an ENS. I could pound weight-gainer shakes and lift, and absolutely nothing would happen (oh, to have that metabolism back).

That said, all I remember doing was signing a waiver in the API building saying more JAG-like words to the effect of "the Navy bears no responsibility for the spinal fractures your scrawny ass will get in the event of an ejection." I have 700+ hours in an ejection seat that I was probably too light for the majority of the time; I know on Das Boot (with no beer), I was consistently below 140.

Is this a new thing that Big Navy is being this anal about seat weights? Maybe I was just on the right side of the weight curve, but I don't remember this ever being an issue when I was a stud.
Maybe something to do with F-35 ejection qualification? Pentagon required an expanded weight range.

Scuttlebutt was JPO had a petite female pilot specially checked out for a taxi test in a F-35 and she was 128 pounds at the time. They were more concerned about her height (5'3") than her weight. She had to be specifically cleared & had a waiver for the ejection seats in previous jets.

The advice about high protein diet is probably the best for gaining weight. Pulling Gs burns a lot of calories.