• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Steve Wilkins said:
Say what? Come on Feddoc,. your posts usually make sense. This one is out there I guess. The pull of gravity is the same whether you're talking about me or my wife's 10 lb cat. Will she (the cat) falll faster (harder) than the rest of us if we were both dropped from a height of 100 feet? Uhhhh......no.

SW,

Sorry, meant that sarcastically.....the rest of it was the truth....honest.

On edit, there is a grain of truth to that. At a body weight of 280, the chances of a torn panel increase due to the effects of opening shock on the 'chute. That torn panel may cause the guy to fall a bit faster than if he were, say, 180 or so and the 'chute was undamaged.

Kycntryboy

pilot
Steve Wilkins said:
Say what? Come on Feddoc,. your posts usually make sense. This one is out there I guess. The pull of gravity is the same whether you're talking about me or my wife's 10 lb cat. Will she (the cat) falll faster (harder) than the rest of us if we were both dropped from a height of 100 feet? Uhhhh......no.

No thats if we are talking about acceleration, which is things "technically" accelerate towards the ground at the same rate (actually the more massive something is the more the earth accelerates to meet that object) But when you talk about the harder they fall you are talking about when they hit the ground or a change in momentum (also known as an "impulse") which is mass dependent and you .... ohhh my God Phy 213 flashbacks ... sorry. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/momentum/U4l1b.html

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kycntryboy said:
No thats if we are talking about acceleration, which is things "technically" accelerate towards the ground at the same rate (actually the more massive something is the more the earth accelerates to meet that object) But when you talk about the harder they fall you are talking about when they hit the ground or a change in momentum (also known as an "impulse") which is mass dependent and you .... ohhh my God Phy 213 flashbacks ... sorry. http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/momentum/U4l1b.html
Yes, this is correct. My statement was based on what I thought Feddoc was trying to say, which was that the heavier you are, the faster you fall. Remember, the graviational attraction between two bodies (in this case, between the earth and a human body) is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them and directly proportional to the mass of each body. Since the earth is much, much, much greater than the human body (and cat), the difference between the gravitational attraction of the earth on the human compared to the cat, is negligible. But I get what you're saying, and Feddoc was being sarcastic anyway.

stevo01

35_NSS said:
lol,,first off im not your bro, secondly go cry me a friggin river about how you had to stop eatin your brownies and pop tarts to become a marine, go do a subway commercial or something....

It is dumbass's like you , that give the Military a Bad reputation. Ignorance can be overcome bro..

Status
Not open for further replies.