• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weight Restrictions

Status
Not open for further replies.

SNA-Wanna-Be

I was wondering what the weight restrictions and body fat percentage is for someone who is 5'10"? I am about 280lbs and I know I need to lose a lot of weight, I was just wondering what I needed to be at. Thanks

Crowbar

None
For 5'10", max weight is 192 pounds.
Max body fat is 22% with a 1st class PFT (225 or better), 18% otherwise.

For women, max weight for 5'10" is 174 pounds.
Max body fat is 30% with a 1st class PFT, 26% otherwise.

Crowbar

None
No difference between officer and enlisted. A Marine is a Marine.

227 pounds is not a valid max weight for any height IAW MCO P6100.12
203 pounds is max for 72" (6' 0").

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
That would be very funny if officers had different weight restrictions than enlisted.

FearedFactor

When I went for my physical, I asked about being a little overweight, not much about 10 lbs. The doc looked at me and said you're OK (6'3 230lbs). The numbers aren't set in stone, everyone's body structure is different. If you score a 280 or better on your PFT and your 20lbs over they weight, they won't give a damn. If you score 240 or lower and are 20lbs over weight, they are going to chew your ass.

Carrying around the extra weight will just slow you down at OCS, better to loose it now at your own pace than to loose it at thiers.

Crowbar

None
FearedFactor said:
The doc looked at me and said you're OK (6'3 230lbs). The numbers aren't set in stone, everyone's body structure is different. If you score a 280 or better on your PFT and your 20lbs over they weight, they won't give a damn. If you score 240 or lower and are 20lbs over weight, they are going to chew your ass.

The doc said that or you are saying that? Regardless, either way it's kind of vague and not advice I'd give to anybody. The height/weight and body fat numbers are set in stone. Read MCO P6100.12_ and see for yourself. For males, the max body fat is 18% unless you score a 1st class PFT, then it goes up to 22%. If you meet the height/weight requirements, body fat doesn't matter. If you run a 300 PFT and are over weight and over 22% body fat (I haven't seen that yet but that doesn't mean it can't happen) then you don't meet the standards. The order's pretty clear.
As far as OCS goes, since it's entry level training, you may get a little leeway and get put on probation if you are say 23% or something like that with a respectable PFT. But beyond training, not meeting the height/weight/body fat requirements usually results in paperwork, which is far far detrimental to your long term well-being than an ass chewing.

Typically the people who really need to worry about this aren't officers. Generally....always exceptions...we take care of ourselves enough to have wiggle room even if close to the max. But it's best to know the standards and live by them, not what the doc told you after he 'looked at' you.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Just guessing here...but, based on your avatar

If you fly in ejection seat aircraft, you should also be concerned about your body weight and the ability of the seat to get you out safely...the heavier you are, the harder you fall...also to be considered are dynamic overshoot, degradation of the 0/0 capability of the seat, effects of opening shock on the parachute (and you)...

I think the max body weight for the NACES seat is 243....can't remember for sure.

From the waiver guide: (last edited in 2003) http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/Text/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/exams.htm

1.20 HEIGHT - WEIGHT POLICIES

Aviation Limits: A minimum weight of 100 pounds and maximum of 235 remain in effect per NATOPS for all aviation personnel/applicants. Applicants will be considered for waivers by the appropriate line authority (BUPERS/USMC/CNRC). NAMI Code 342/BUMED M3F83 does not consider height/weight or anthropometric measurements on physical review. Per NATOPS 3710.7S, the minimum weight is 100 pounds and a maximum of 235 for aviation duty personnel. For personnel on non-ejection aircraft using parachute's, the maximum weight is 245 pounds. This is a safety of flight issue based on current ejection seat and parachute weight limit testing data. Waivers below and above these numbers are consideration on an individual basis. Members with nude body weight below 135 and above 218 pounds are to be advised that they are at increased risk for ejection injury .

Navy aviation personnel will follow the same standards and administrative procedures as outlined in the new CNO Physical Readiness Program. Aviation personnel must meet the height/weight table standards of the current Physical Readiness Program listed in OPNAVINST 6110.1 series.

If member exceeds both weight for height and body fat standards, send a memorandum to the member's commanding officer advising that member is not in compliance with administrative requirements of OPNAVINST 6110.1 series.

The CO may elect to ground a member until he or she meets standards.

The Flight Surgeon need not recommend grounding the aviator unless the excess weight is considered to be a detriment to performance, safety of flight or emergency egress.

Applicants for aviation programs must meet the general standards (table or body fat). If already in a training program leading to commissioning, the parent command shall be advised that member must meet weight standards and/or body fat standards prior to commissioning.

Marine Corps aviation personnel must follow the provisions of MCO 6100.10 series. A separate aviation waiver from ASM 34 is not required unless below 100 or above 235 pounds for ejection seat aircraft.

35_NSS

SNA-Wanna-Be said:
I was wondering what the weight restrictions and body fat percentage is for someone who is 5'10"? I am about 280lbs and I know I need to lose a lot of weight, I was just wondering what I needed to be at. Thanks

Holy cow man, i hope that 280lbs is a typo cause if it isn't, SNA WANNA BE is exactly what your gonna be, unless you get your stomach stapled and go on a diet of water and oxygen. The only thing you might be able to fly is a CH -53, and thats because its a heavy lift helo. All jokes aside, just join the navy you'll be fine, youll fit right in. Good luck

stevo01

35_NSS said:
Holy cow man, i hope that 280lbs is a typo cause if it isn't, SNA WANNA BE is exactly what your gonna be, unless you get your stomach stapled and go on a diet of water and oxygen. The only thing you might be able to fly is a CH -53, and thats because its a heavy lift helo. All jokes aside, just join the navy you'll be fine, youll fit right in. Good luck

all jokes aside my ass. Bro, I Know plenty of fellow marines(as well as my self) who decided the marine corp was for them(navy for some) and the determination took over, and the weight feel off. Was not easy for any of us, but i garuntee i am in better shape than you.
stevo

35_NSS

lol,,first off im not your bro, secondly go cry me a friggin river about how you had to stop eatin your brownies and pop tarts to become a marine, go do a subway commercial or something....

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
feddoc said:
...the heavier you are, the harder you fall... [/B]
Say what? Come on Feddoc,. your posts usually make sense. This one is out there I guess. The pull of gravity is the same whether you're talking about me or my wife's 10 lb cat. Will she (the cat) falll faster (harder) than the rest of us if we were both dropped from a height of 100 feet? Uhhhh......no.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
35_NSS said:
Great advice, guy. Now here's some advice from me. Stop posting on this forum. Your "wisdom" isn't wanted or needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.