• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Website for OCS Pilot Applicants

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've got to ask... With such a detailed and dynamic site like AW, why attempt to reinvent the wheel? You could just as easily post the info on your site to AW (hey, these are my personal experiences), and get seen by thousands of users instead of the two or three people who might visit your site?

matt.nowlin37

Brett,

I just thought it would help expedite the process for OCS Applicants. AW was my major source of information during the whole application process but I still found my self searching for hours for specific details. I wanted to make a website and I had a lot of knowledge on the topic so I figure I would contribute it to one source. Since I posted it on AW I figure it will come up in the search and other people may stumble upon it.

John wright

SNA Pro-Rec Dec 2012
You said you went to MEPs after getting pro-rec? I had to go before I even sent my application in?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett,

I just thought it would help expedite the process for OCS Applicants. AW was my major source of information during the whole application process but I still found my self searching for hours for specific details. I wanted to make a website and I had a lot of knowledge on the topic so I figure I would contribute it to one source. Since I posted it on AW I figure it will come up in the search and other people may stumble upon it.
I'm not saying there's anything wrong with your site, but it does present a fairly unidimensional look at what is normally a fairly varied and complex process. One person's experience is usually not representative of what someone else might encounter, which is why having such a broad range of posters here at AW is probably more valuable to the average prospective SNA/SNFO.

BackOrdered

Contributor
It reminds me of the situation with this site, where for all the good gouge "then and there" it rapidly became less and less of the gospel and eventually it was all old gouge compared to today's standards. I agree with Brett but more power to you for wanting to help out.

http://heathalvarez.com/hobbies/ocs.html

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
It reminds me of the situation with this site, where for all the good gouge "then and there" it rapidly became less and less of the gospel and eventually it was all old gouge compared to today's standards. I agree with Brett but more power to you for wanting to help out.

http://heathalvarez.com/hobbies/ocs.html
I agree. However sometimes re-inventing the wheel every couple years to provide a comprehensive and consolidated summary of EVERY aspect of the process from first contact through commissioning has its utility.

I used the above site and others for a VERY detailed picture as to what to expect through the process and then at OCS. OCS was quite a bit different than the journals provided a picture of, but STILL it provided me with enough knowledge and comfort to make it through. Does it help? Arguable, but it certainly does give you peace of mind to be able to read through the whole process.

Nice site. And good luck!

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
You said you went to MEPs after getting pro-rec? I had to go before I even sent my application in?
Yeah that was a fairly recent change, MEPS will need to be completed for an SNA/NFO/SWO application to be considered. Initially it was supposed to take effect immediately, but they waived the requirement for the upcoming December board.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The following link is to my website I created to help out future OCS Pilot Applicants. Feel free to view and comment. Help me find any errors and note if I omitted any valuable information. I Just created it so it is a work in progress. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

Best Regards,

Matt Nowlin

https://sites.google.com/site/navyocspilotslot/
Re: STEP 6: "Complete an interview with current/former Navy pilot." I'm not sure that's a requirement, or at least I haven't heard as much from my recruiter. Can anyone chime in on this?

yakboyslim

None
Re: STEP 6: "Complete an interview with current/former Navy pilot." I'm not sure that's a requirement, or at least I haven't heard as much from my recruiter. Can anyone chime in on this?

I didn't have any interviews. Applied 3 years ago, I don't think there has been a change to make it a requirement, just a good idea.

exNavyOffRec

you are right, not required doesn't actually help as they are looking for someone who has observed the individual for a period of time.

There are other issues as well.

Age is wrong, must be commissioned by age 27

applicants are not evaluated by NOMI until AFTER they are in OCS

degree from higher ranked school has little advantage, if it did I would have put in many more, a good GPA is a good GPA, actual degree has more bearing.

paper version of ASTB is only given at one location still, and when the patch for windows is done it will ONLY be given on the computer.

DD370's current of former officer does no good if you haven't known them for a while

MEPS for the next board must be completed before you can apply

Not all NRD's will have Officer Recruiters, some have or are transitioning to enlisted recruiters doing officer applications as well.

Renegade One

None
I've got to ask... With such a detailed and dynamic site like AW, why attempt to reinvent the wheel? You could just as easily post the info on your site to AW (hey, these are my personal experiences), and get seen by thousands of users instead of the two or three people who might visit your site?
What Brett said...

matt.nowlin37

Thanks for all your input. I fixed the errors on my site. Thanks to airwarriors and its contributers because it has helped me substantially in my process of getting to OCS.