• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weber State University

erelislt

My second choice school is Weber State U at Salt Lake City. Anyone knows anything about the schools and its NROTC program?

SQUIDutah

pilot
I am at the University of Utah as a stash Ensign right now, and your chances to get the Weber ticket are very bleak. As per CO at the unit it is not "possible" to make 6am PT's (2 x per week), lab on Thursday (1530-1730), and other "activities" living so far away. The only MIDN/OC/USMC we have here are from Westminster and Utah. Just a FYI. PM me for more info.

erelislt

I am at the University of Utah as a stash Ensign right now, and your chances to get the Weber ticket are very bleak. As per CO at the unit it is not "possible" to make 6am PT's (2 x per week), lab on Thursday (1530-1730), and other "activities" living so far away. The only MIDN/OC/USMC we have here are from Westminster and Utah. Just a FYI. PM me for more info.

Not sure what you mean. Why is it a bleak chance of me getting into Weber? I read that Weber has its own ROTC program. Please tell me more.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yes. Each unit will have a list of area schools with which it has crosstown agreements.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
My second choice school is Weber State U at Salt Lake City. Anyone knows anything about the schools and its NROTC program?

Weber is in Ogden by the way, about 45 north of SLC. Its a lot smaller of a town but nice. Why not apply to the U (of Utah)? It is IN Salt Lake, and im sure would be a better place for after class activities. When my wife's father was the CO of the NROTC 6 years ago the schools that most Mid's attended were the U or Westminster. Squid, when did you graduate?

SQUIDutah

pilot
Not sure what you mean. Why is it a bleak chance of me getting into Weber? I read that Weber has its own ROTC program. Please tell me more.

As said before Weber State is a cross-town affiliate. The U of U NROTC has not had a Weber State OC/MIDN since 2003. This is due to traffic making them late and time crunches. Example: You arrive to PT by 6am meaning you have to leave Ogden by 04:45 to make it in time. You finish PT by 0700 and it can take 90-120 minutes to fight traffic back up to the school. On Thursday's you have to be in by 1530 fighting rush hour traffic both ways. Traffic is not the only problem... we have hella snow storms that will make your commute last the better part of your morning/evening. The command has made it policy not to allow any MIDN/OC to attend Weber.

Also when you look on the Weber State website it lists Captain Louis Barraza and Captain Fred Orchard as Professors, but according to NETC the only PNS is the University of Utah CO. I am told these Captains are retired and "represent" the NROTC up at Weber. Currently my CO is trying to get NETC to remove Weber as a cross-town affiliate. If you have any questions about this call the battalion. They might be able to clear it up better than I have here…(or they will transfer the call to me and I will tell you the same).

SQUIDutah

pilot
Weber is in Ogden by the way, about 45 north of SLC. Its a lot smaller of a town but nice. Why not apply to the U (of Utah)? It is IN Salt Lake, and im sure would be a better place for after class activities. When my wife's father was the CO of the NROTC 6 years ago the schools that most Mid's attended were the U or Westminster. Squid, when did you graduate?

Spring 07... Stashed for 6 months working the paper shredder. :sleep_125

I started in 2003.

skim

None
Contributor
Great info, looks like it is going to be U of U or CU at Denver for me. Credit wse, I do not have much to go.

I dont think that the U of U requires that much to get in admissions. You're transferring right? I would give it a go. I got accepted there but was denied NROTC due to age, and lack of math requirements. The U is a nice campus, and SLC is great too if you dont mind some of the 'politics' that goes on there.

As far as I know, and can get that verified if need be, but Capt. Orchard has nothing to do with Weber NROTC.

haubby

None
Contributor
I dont think that the U of U requires that much to get in admissions. You're transferring right? I would give it a go. I got accepted there but was denied NROTC due to age, and lack of math requirements. The U is a nice campus, and SLC is great too if you dont mind some of the 'politics' that goes on there.

As far as I know, and can get that verified if need be, but Capt. Orchard has nothing to do with Weber NROTC.

You were accepted to the college but NROTC denied you? Are you talking about the scholarship portion or NROTC?

SQUIDutah

pilot

That is what the PNS of Utah also says...

skim

None
Contributor
You were accepted to the college but NROTC denied you? Are you talking about the scholarship portion or NROTC?

[Disclaimer]BTW, I am once again a dumbass and failed to notice that this thread is under Enlisted Commissioning Programs. I just noticed the title and talking about the U, and knew a little about it from family experience. I am not a prior, and tried to enter in as a 2 year college program student. Anyways my story is probably irrelevent to the thread, but will keep it if you are still curious. Sorry if I confused or mislead or anything else bad. Good luck to all applying.[/Disclaimer]

To be honest, I dont know, and here is why. I condensed it but its a long story and will keep the names out. I go and talk with recruiter who tells me that college program will be good since I dont need the math and that my age won't be an issue. I also would not need to do the summer intro course if I double my Naval Science courses throughout the 2 years. I say good and grab the paperwork, drive home to California and fill it out. Drive back up to hand deliver the paperwork but give it to another staff member after the person I was to deliver it to failed to show up that day after I scheduled it. It gets fuzzy from here (it was a few years ago). I am pretty much told that I needed an interview with the CO and that it was just a formality and that I would be in. I go with that and show up a month before school starts and meet with a new staff member who replaced the one that I originally talked to. My packet is missing, was told to fill out a new packet and could maybe join in the new semester. My packet is found buried in the CO's desk and my age would now be an issue including my lack of math, and I needed to attend summer intro course since I was a transfer. I debated that but that was 'in the books' so to speak and couldn't double the classes up. Decided that prolonging my graduation a year for a possible slot did not outweigh my wifes career (we quit our jobs to move up there) and paying out of state tuition. We choose to return back to California to get in state tuition and my wifes career back and shoot for OCS. A week or two after we moved back to our place, I get a call saying that my packet was rejected due to my age.

What happened to me sucks IMHO, and hope it doesnt happen to anyone, yet I understand that was also my fault for not following through enough. I think things happen for a reason and it was a big learning experience for me. I am Pro-Rec now and will get my commission soon enough I hope. Thats my story.