• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weather and Oceanography related questions

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow and I'm wondering, for those who have taken it lately, did you run into many weather or oceanography questions on the Aviation/Nautical info subtest?

I've been studying the ARCO and Barrons books for a couple of weeks now. I haven't seen any questions of that type in them but when I look around on the internet, some of the practice tests have weather/oceanography questions.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped to get this out of the way. I've taken about 4 practice tests and have done excellent on the aviation/nautical and spacial aperception subtests. It's just those damn math, reading comp, and machinacal parts.

Back to studying...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
I'm taking the ASTB tomorrow and I'm wondering, for those who have taken it lately, did you run into many weather or oceanography questions on the Aviation/Nautical info subtest?

I've been studying the ARCO and Barrons books for a couple of weeks now. I haven't seen any questions of that type in them but when I look around on the internet, some of the practice tests have weather/oceanography questions.

Anyway, I'm pretty pumped to get this out of the way. I've taken about 4 practice tests and have done excellent on the aviation/nautical and spacial aperception subtests. It's just those damn math, reading comp, and machinacal parts.

Back to studying...

Know your clouds (types and altitudes you find them). Know how the atmosphere works (on a basic level of course), try to get a hold of a private pilot manual it will discuss everything you need to know pertaining to weather. You do not need to be a meteorologist.

also understand bernoulli's law, pretty simple but you will be able to answer a lot of aviation questions relating to lift

euclid83

FS SNA
It might also be a good idea to know the different types of turbulence and what to do in the occurence of each.

Steve24

clouds were the major thing i ran into, also know what air is the lights/heaviest, different kinds of winds and what causes fog

nzachman

Yeah, well. The Dude abides.
Don't spend too much time on weather and oceanography though, its not a large part of the test. I say that because I had no clue about things that related to Naval history, the carrier, who wears purple, etc.. and still got a good score. Focus more on mechanical/math stuff as well as general flight rules and the principles of flight. That is where you will make your gold.

cpwhit1

Final Select SNFO 07 March 2010
Just got back from the test. I got a 6/7/7/52. Not the best scores but I'll see what happens I guess. Not too much on the Weather/oceanography topic.