• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

wearing of prior service ribbons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robv182

Gotta have the Nutz
None
One way or the other I am going to wear mine. I earned them I am going to wear them. I don't have anything to hide and do not want to give them any reason to scrutinize me further or give them the impression that I am hiding something. I also heard the same story about the guy getting washed back for not wearing his ribbons. It is an integrity thing and part of his uniform. If they want to beat me for having too many ribbons, more power to them. That means they must not have anything else to ding me on. Its only three months anyway.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Rob hit it right on, wear those ribbons and be proud of them! The DI can pack sand if they are jealous of where you have been and what you have done when you were enlisted, and now you are using all that to further your goals in OCS and earning that Commission. Frankly, in my book, with ANY uniform inspection, if they want to be nitpicky enough, they can always find something, what, are you going to cry foul?!?! not bloody likely. So what, I guess you will get mashed a little bit or have to field day something, so what, they could have busted you on something else. Then again, they could see those ribbons/warfare insignia and give you the once over (like happened to me at NSI, ECP's version of OCS), and the Gunny just nods his head and passes on to the next unforunate victim. OCS, Basic Training, Dive School, any of those places where they play head games with you, its all a matter of internalizing and telling yourself, "that bastard is not going to beat me!", keep that smile and positive attitude and you will kick some butt. Ribbons should not be on your worry list.

JGalus

You guys beat me to the punch! I agree! Depending on command policy, generally it will be stated that you are to wear authorized ribbons and badges. They are part of the uniform and if you don't wear them you are out of uniform. Furthermore, you bet it is a pride issue. Personally, I am proud of my past accomplishments and will proudly wear my decorations to OCS.

I would like to address the topic of Drill Instructors. Speaking as a former Non-Commissionned Officer of Marines, I would like to tell you that the Drill Instructors are not there to see how many individuals they can make cry or to see how many people they can make pass out doing leg lifts. These individuals who work in upwards of 18 hours a day have one mission: to train individuals to become the best Naval Officers in the world. Furthermore, the quality of officer that they produce is a direct representation of themselves. They take pride in the accomplishments of their troops and will do their best to help them overcome failure. If you would like just a little insight into the mind set of these men simply read the NCO and Drill Instructor Creed on the following links:

http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/nco_creed.htm

http://www.usmcpress.com/heritage/USMC_drill.htm

Sorry for being so long winded,

Jamie
BDCP (SWO)
(Sgt, USMC 91-99)

Status
Not open for further replies.