• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wearing Flight Suit on the Yard

xj220

Will fly for food.
pilot
Contributor
Random question and was wondering if anyone had an answer, but can I wear my flight suit on the Yard? Here's why I ask, I have to head up to Annapolis to drop my car off and then pick it up from the shop and I'll be in my flight suit since I'll be going in to work right after. I have a buddy who teaches there and I'd like to grab lunch with him, but would that be authorized? I know they have their own rules and I've never seen anyone wear one except for the "warrior" days so my guess is no, but curious if there was more info. Thanks for the help.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Head up from where...Norfolk?

Wouldn't it be easier to just put on shorts and a t-shirt and avoid any "problems" altogether...it is a training school.

There are plenty of senior ranking shoes on the yard that would love to bust your chops...

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
If it''s an authorized uniform and the uniform of the day for your parent command, plus the newish NAVADMIN for wear out in town, what's the worse that can happen?

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I agree with the above suggestions about wearing civvies, that is what I would do. I don't, however, see anything wrong with wearing a bag there. It is a fucking Navy uniform for crying out loud, and you aren't a mid. It isn't like there is a navy-wide instruction telling you that you can't wear it (for example, no NWU's in the puzzle palace). Anyone who says a word to you is just hating.
Here's the litmus test - if your parent command would not like a phone call saying that you were wearing it there, probably should just go with the civvies. Personally, my front office would laugh it off.

jtmedli

pilot
Head up from where...Norfolk?
Wouldn't it be easier to just put on shorts and a t-shirt and avoid any "problems" altogether...it is a training school.
There are plenty of senior ranking shoes on the yard that would love to bust your chops...

Which is a huge problem. If the shoes have nothing better to do than bitch about flight suits then they need to get a life. Many problems I've seen with the Navy are cause by whiny-asses in command who have nothing better to do than complain about stupid shit when they ought to be affecting some real change that would do some actual good for their sailors.
I agree with the above suggestions about wearing civvies, that is what I would do. I don't, however, see anything wrong with wearing a bag there. It is a fucking Navy uniform for crying out loud, and you aren't a mid.

Well, technically I think it is still defined as "organizational clothing" but see above for the ridiculousness of that...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
Well, technically I think it is still defined as "organizational clothing" but see above for the ridiculousness of that...
Touché, you are correct sir. It is governed by the uniform regs though, so I agree with you. Let the SWOs bitch.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
As a non-aviator, I can't figure out the big deal. I'd wear a boat sweater, sneakers, and a poopie suit if the Navy let me. It's not like blue camoflauge looks professional or anything.

Technically I think you're supposed to be in service or higher if travelling outside of area of parent command, but never seen that enforced, ie routine wear of NWU when traveling away from area.

Worst case scenario is you piss off a chief or a SWO, and who wouldn't want to do that?