• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Weapon Qualification

JBM

Gainfully Employeed
None
Is there any chance to re-qualify while waiting in the A-pool? I'd like to upgrade my pistol sharpshooter while waiting.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
That's a good question that I too would like to find out. It would be nice to have the chance to earn pistol/rifle quals, since we don't get the chance at NROTC.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
You'll have to get a decent size group together and talk to the armory on base.

Best bet is to call them and see what you'll have to do. I know when I was in A-Pool, we that's what we had to do. Unfortunately, the interest wasn't there.

Hope it helps.
-Bubba

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Depending on when you report, it's possible you may be able to re-qual while on Basket Leave at USNA. Talk to the Chief in charge of the weps range at NSA and see if there are any qual dates between now and graduation...or shortly thereafter.

since we're on the topic, ive got a few questions. I couldnt find these answers in regs. the only one that is a medal is the expert marksmen right? and isnt it true that you dont have to requal to maintain the expert ribbon/medal but do have to requal for the sharpshooter and marskmen ribbon every year?

othromas

AEDO livin’ the dream
pilot
We tried to get something going on this in API, and what I was told then was that no one outside of OCS was being admitted to the qualifications because watchstanders needed it more than us. I thought that sounded fishy, but I got classed up pretty quick afterwards so I stopped working on it. Also, this may or may not be a big deal, but realize that they don't set aside money for you to punch holes in paper while you're twiddling your thumbs and practicing your 12 oz curls; if they let you do it at all, you might have to pay for rounds, and that could get into some red tape.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
Per NSTC, all officer accession sources under NSTC are no longer qualifying (i.e. OCS, LDO/CWO, DCO, etc), so ensigns at API can no longer "stop by" OCS and request to join a class at the range as the OCS classes are no longer qualifying.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Seriously guys. I know everyone wants to be all moto and shoot, but you'll all have ample opportunity to do so once you get to the fleet, so be patient and stop bothering the folks at the range who all have much more important things to do than coordinate activities whose only purpose is to bolster some random Ensigns' self-esteem. Nobody else cares about a shooting ribbon and neither will you 5 minutes after it's on your chest.

Brett

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
I don't know about all the regs, but about eight years ago when I was in A school, our Master Chief set it up so that we could go out to a civilian range on a Saturday and get our quals. Ended up about $50 to cover rental, rounds and a fee to the off-duty rangemaster.

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
Admittedly, I was excited about it at the time. But in retrospect I would agree with Brett and just be patient. Honestly, you're not going to look any cooler having three ribbons over one. If you really like to shoot just go to a range and shoot and save yourself the red tape of getting your qualifications...you'll score that much better when the time rolls around.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
since we're on the topic, ive got a few questions. I couldnt find these answers in regs. the only one that is a medal is the expert marksmen right? and isnt it true that you dont have to requal to maintain the expert ribbon/medal but do have to requal for the sharpshooter and marskmen ribbon every year?

Correct. You only get medals for expert in either rifle or pistol. Any lower qualification will come with ribbons only.

And they really don't matter that much.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
And to just throw it out there for after API, you won't be able to qualify if you go to Whiting either. There is a decent pistol range but it's only used for security to keep current with their weapons.