• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

We have a blimp?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, Virginia, there is a blimp in Navy inventory....and it's heading to Mobile to assist in the Gulf Oilspill recovery efforts.

web_100706-N-XXXXX-001.jpg

100706-N-XXXXX-001 Navy Hand Out File Photo (Undated) of the MZ-3A manned airship, Advanced Airship Flying Laboratory, derived from the commercial A-170 series blimp. The Navy airship is a high endurance low fuel alternative to fixed wing or rotary aircraft. providing extreme utility in airborne patrol missions where endurance and communications capabilities are required. (U.S. Navy/Released)

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Wonder if those pilots are wearing these???
175px-Navyballoonbadge.jpg

Attachments

• 175px-Navyballoonbadge.jpg
    175px-Navyballoonbadge.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 15

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I want to say that VXS-1 owns the blimp.

Edit: Local rag backs up my claims.

They do not technically "own" it, they provide the ARC responsibility and were "hired" to do so. It is actually a NAWCAD asset (AIR-4.5 has always maintained a legacy interest in lighter than air and truly is the "owner"; AIR-4.6 provided expertise from IF experience to plow through the flight clearance hurdles to get her airworthy in eyes of 4.3), but you always need a ARC/ACC line of responsibility and VXS-1 was ready, willing and able.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They do not technically "own" it, they provide the ARC responsibility and were "hired" to do so. It is actually a NAWCAD asset (AIR-4.5 has always maintained a legacy interest in lighter than air and truly is the "owner"; AIR-4.6 provided expertise from IF experience to plow through the flight clearance hurdles to get her airworthy in eyes of 4.3), but you always need a ARC/ACC line of responsibility and VXS-1 was ready, willing and able.
cat-okay.gif

Beans

*1. Loins... GIRD
pilot
You can read all about it on heyjoe's website: becomeacquisitionNFO.com

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I worked at NAVAIR as a contractor for almost 2 years. I still don't know all the AIR x.x designations.

I don't think anyone does...I'm still on the lookout for π....must be in 3.1 somewhere....

MAKE VAPES

Uncle Pettibone
pilot
Does flying an airship over water make one a "Naval" aviator? (putting on my Fire Fighting Enemble)

Guess so if "Sea Service Deployment" ribbons are given to two seat Hornet squadrons flying out of Kuwait! "From the Sea"?

Pags

N/A
pilot

Sadly, The Tester didn't go into that level of detail :)

Speaking of The Tester, I saw someone's picture in the newest one...

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
I wonder if those were the same blimp folks (as if there are a shitload of 'em) who were looking for Maritime Domain Awareness (MDA) work a couple of years ago, back when DHS was handing out huge UASI grants...hmmmm.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can read all about it on heyjoe's website: becomeacquisitionNFO.com

I can't even find that site....;)

Sadly, The Tester didn't go into that level of detail :)

Speaking of The Tester, I saw someone's picture in the newest one...

How did THAT get in there? That was supposed to be a no-press-allowed conference! That's what I get for not reading the Tester!