• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Way to go Air Force

Status
Not open for further replies.

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Got this one from a buddy here at boost. Don't know when it happend but funny.

NORFOLK Naval Air Station Virginia -- One of the military's largest transports got stuck at the end of a runway atop the I-564 overpass for more than 16 hours. It was unable to turn around at the West end of Chambers Field at the Norfolk Naval Station.

The incident forced the closing of the field to all but helicopter traffic and made for a dramatic sight for hundreds of motorists passing beneath it during morning rush hour. "That thing's like a big building sitting there.'' said motorists. The nose of the aircraft actually stuck out and OVER the Interstate!

The aircraft's nose was so far over the end of the ramp, the crew was unable to see the runway where it was supposed to turn around so the pilot simply had to leave it at the end of the runway. The Air Force C-5 Galaxy, largest airplane in the free world, is almost as long as a football field and as high as a six-story building.

Weighing 420 tons with a full load, it uses a system of 28 wheels to distribute its weight. The aircraft had to wait for a specially made tow bar trucked in from Dover, Del. When the tow bar arrived, it was used to hook the C-5 to a tractor that then turned the aircraft around. The plane was not damaged.

Attachments

• airforcecomp.jpg
    airforcecomp.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 347

KBayDog

It was a C-5; it happened on March 6th, 2003. It couldn't be turned around under its own power, and had to be towed. Unfortunatlely, there were no tow bars big enough for a C-5 in the Hampton Roads area. It stayed like that for 16 hours until a tow bar could be trucked in from Dover, Delaware.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
That's a C-5, this is a C-17:

c17.jpg

Future Herc Driver

About to start Tac phase in the Herc.
There was definitely a CRM issue going on with that C-5 crew. It called an "airfield diagram" and its located in your approach plates. Im sure the copilot was to blame.

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
Way to Go Airforce

Future Herc Driver said:
There was definitely a CRM issue going on with that C-5 crew. It called an "airfield diagram" and its located in your approach plates. Im sure the copilot was to blame.

What about a plane with only one crewmember? Incomplete reasearch is still poor aeronautics...
What I'm referring to is along those same lines:

How about checking the density altitude [edit: actually field elevation] before you take off next time?
eject.jpg

(..."Knock it off, knock it off!" ... "Bird one, knock it off." "Bird two, knock it off." "Bird three...")

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mayday said:
What about a plane with only one crewmember? Still poor aeronautics...
What I'm referring to is along those same lines.
How about checking the density altitude before you take off next time?

That's funny, although density altitude really didn't have anything to do with that mishap. More like field elevation (about 1000 ft delta between Mountain Home and Nellis) Made for some great video!

Brett

Mayday

I thought that was the recline!
The video...

Well, I tried uploading it for everyone's enjoyment, but the database keeps glitching.
Anyone who wants to see it and has ideas around the glitch let me know...

zab1001

pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Future Herc Driver said:
There was definitely a CRM issue going on with that C-5 crew. It called an "airfield diagram" and its located in your approach plates.

Unless you have the inside gouge on what really happened, let's not make public assumptions on what happened. Highly unprofessional.

Future Herc Driver said:
Im sure the copilot was to blame.

Try to use that as an excuse when you're the Aircraft Commander and you're standing in front of the man. AC is ultimately responsible, for better or worse.

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
zab1001 said:
Try to use that as an excuse when you're the Aircraft Commander and you're standing in front of the man. AC is ultimately responsible, for better or worse.

You F-up, you pay. Your copilot F-up, you pay. Your nav F-up, you pay. Kinda like being married except that in a marrige you'll never be in charge - but you'll pay.

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
PropStop said:
You F-up, you pay. Your copilot F-up, you pay. Your nav F-up, you pay. Kinda like being married except that in a marrige you'll never be in charge - but you'll pay.

One reason I have no desire to get married anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.