• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wavefront PRK accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daedalus

Just looking to see if anyone has had the wavefront eye test with prk, I'm sure it's fine because the prk procedure is the same but I wanted to check.
Has anyone had it, and been wavered, also what was your pre op and post op vision, and would you recommend it?
Thanks
Daedalus

Daedalus

Wavefront is a custom eye exam that takes measurements much more accurately than traditional methods, allowing the laser to make a more accurate cut.

Hartman

Wavefront...hmmmm...might be a good thing. Or might just be an advertising scheme to make you spend more green at the doc's office. I'd check around on BUPERS/NOMI's websites before going under the knife to make sure. You can see that thing cut your eye you know. You can even feel the pressure of the knife scraping the epithelium layer off your delicate eyeball even after the eyedrops and valium have taken effect. Good luck, dude, hope it goes well for you!

Eteled

Getting a custom wavefront is going to be up to you and your doctor. In my case, it wouldn’t have offered any advantage due to my correction (very high at +6.00). If you have a lot of astigmatism or some other funkiness it’ll probably help, but your doctor is going to know what is best in your situation. This is why you should find a doctor with lots of surgeries under his belt and the latest equipment. Don’t go to a bargain basement place!

I’d assume that it is wavered just like regular PRK. If anything, it should make the process easier. I’m pretty sure there’s going to be added fees for a wavefront. Hospitals have to pay patent royalties every time they use most of these devices. I don’t think they measure the eye more for a custom wavefront. They measure the cornea’s variances for all procedures. I think the same information is used if you’re getting a custom wavefront. At least my doctor said this regarding his equipment.

One last bit of advice is to make sure the laser you’re going to be zapped with has some type of eye tracking. Most botched surgeries seem to have occurred in cases where the laser didn’t track eye movement. I was zapped for 1.5 minutes and I couldn’t help but slightly move my eye during the last 10 seconds.

Daedalus

Guys, Thanks.
I think I have settled on Wavefront PRK using the VISIX S3 laser. It does have a 3 d eye tracker, although I'm not sure about the readings per second, I hear that the saccadic sp? (involuntary subtle movements) of the eye can occur at a rate of something like 1000 times per second and video trackers can only sample at 400 times per second whereas radar can do like 4000 times per second.

BTW is there any phone number to NAMI I can call to get final definitive answers to these questions so I don’t screw myself and end up not getting a waver?
Also is there anything I have to do before I get the procedure, such as contact a recruiter, and have Navy forms filled out beforehand?
Thanks

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Originally posted by Daedalus
Guys, Thanks.
I think I have settled on Wavefront PRK using the VISIX S3 laser. It does have a 3 d eye tracker, although I'm not sure about the readings per second, I hear that the saccadic sp? (involuntary subtle movements) of the eye can occur at a rate of something like 1000 times per second and video trackers can only sample at 400 times per second whereas radar can do like 4000 times per second.

BTW is there any phone number to NAMI I can call to get final definitive answers to these questions so I don’t screw myself and end up not getting a waver?
Also is there anything I have to do before I get the procedure, such as contact a recruiter, and have Navy forms filled out beforehand?
Thanks

WildFlyin69 called NOMI up and talked to someone. I'm sure he can help you out with the phone call, and probably the paper work part. Good Luck.

NeoCortex

Castle Law for all States!!!
pilot
I had the WaveFront PRK done to me. It's still PRK so it's waivered just like normal. From what I was told it is the best thing that you can get. It gives you the best chance for the best vision possible. I had the surgery done 2 weeks ago, and I'm seeing almost 20/10 today. The doc says that I'm about 30 days ahead of the normal healing curve. The wavefront costs more, but I think it was worth it.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.