• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Watches...the Skinny?

SticknRudder

How many will y'all sit, on average, in an operational squadron (Jets, Props, Helos) both on shore and at sea? Seems that would be the worst part of the gig.

Thanks,
SnR

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
It all depends: on how big the watchbill is, how many qualified watchstanders there are, etc. When I was an FRS instructor in VP-30 years ago, we had more than 100 O-3s in the wardroom, and the only watch we had to stand was SDO. So in that situation, we only stood one 24 hr. watch a few times a year.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Seems that would be the worst part of the gig.

Meh, it's just part of the gig. If watch is the worst thing you ever have to do, you're living a pretty sweet life. For the most part, it means you sit at a desk and answer phones and sometimes run the flight schedule. It can make for some long days, but such is life. On a whole, JOs in a squadron stand a whole lot less watch than JOs on a ship.

Pags

N/A
pilot
So between flying, watch, and collateral duties...is there any time for sleep LoL

You generally won't have watch and fly on the same day. And you don't fly every day. Those no fly, no watch days are for earning your paycheck. And if you're worried about sleep, you're doing something really wrong or are the most ineffective paper pusher ever.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
For the record, watch is an excellent time to take care of paperwork. I would say that you could do almost a week's worth of work in one day if you're the SDO.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
For the record, watch is an excellent time to take care of paperwork. I would say that you could do almost a week's worth of work in one day if you're the SDO.

Your experiences as SDO (at least as a JO) are drastically different than mine, at least on a fly day.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
I never stood it, but saw the guys who did read and play with their iPhones a lot.

SticknRudder

Your experiences as SDO (at least as a JO) are drastically different than mine, at least on a fly day.

How so?

And yes, I am likely the world's worst pusher of paper...I hate with the utmost passion the look, feel, and smell of the stuff which is why I fly for a living. The only paper I want to see are my Jepps, and only when in the cockpit.

So how much paperwork is going to gnaw and chew at the very being of my existence, how many days per week are you flying/watching/land-lubber duties?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I never stood it, but saw the guys who did read and play with their iPhones a lot.

Are you talking about the ASDO or the SDO? As SDO, in many squadrons, it involves running the flight schedule on fly days, which if it's a busy sked and the birds aren't cooperating, can take up a lot of time. I always liked weekend duty. Our squadron had very little issue w/ arrests so it was worth the gamble.

How so?

And yes, I am likely the world's worst pusher of paper...I hate with the utmost passion the look, feel, and smell of the stuff which is why I fly for a living. The only paper I want to see are my Jepps, and only when in the cockpit.

So how much paperwork is going to gnaw and chew at the very being of my existence, how many days per week are you flying/watching/land-lubber duties?

I've seen JO's who don't have much responsibility, but it's fair to say that you'll have more hours pushing paper than flight hours for a given week.