• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Watches and G Forces?

purdueaviator

I recently purchased a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Titanium watch because...
  • I can't afford a Breitling
  • I have the first generation watch and it's worked well for me thus far
HOWEVER, I'm about to start Primary in the T-6 and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how this particular watch or watches like it rate under G forces? I can't find any information online as to whether this particular watch has been tested for G forces, stress, etc. I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth my money to buy a simple G-shock watch strictly as a "flying watch" (since it's rated for G-forces) or if I should just stop worrying and fly with my Citizen anyway. Would hate to ruin an expensive watch so thanks for any insight.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Immediately go and buy a G-shock. That's all any of us ever wear because our Omegas, Breitlings, and Rolexes keep imploding on our wrists due to excessive G's.

While you're at it, make sure you have a solid boot knife. You'll need that ALL the time, too.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Don't know much 'bout stink'n Boot Knifes.
But I do know about those cheap-ass issued, 'combat watches' - I know they still kept on a-ticken after sudden impact, although their wearer's heart did not. [How I know, you don't wanna know.]

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
Immediately go and buy a G-shock. That's all any of us ever wear because our Omegas, Breitlings, and Rolexes keep imploding on our wrists due to excessive G's.

While you're at it, make sure you have a solid boot knife. You'll need that ALL the time, too.

Good luck. We're all counting on you.
G-Shock is good but it won't last a 20 G crash. The last time we went down it looked as bad the the airplane I was in, it was my trusty boot knife that kept us all from being killed in the impact.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
I recently purchased a Citizen Eco-Drive Skyhawk A-T Titanium watch because...
  • I can't afford a Breitling
  • I have the first generation watch and it's worked well for me thus far
HOWEVER, I'm about to start Primary in the T-6 and I was wondering if anyone has any idea how this particular watch or watches like it rate under G forces? I can't find any information online as to whether this particular watch has been tested for G forces, stress, etc. I'm trying to figure out whether it's worth my money to buy a simple G-shock watch strictly as a "flying watch" (since it's rated for G-forces) or if I should just stop worrying and fly with my Citizen anyway. Would hate to ruin an expensive watch so thanks for any insight.

To address your concern, somewhat seriously, I think your flesh will rip itself apart long before anything made of steel, or even plastic.

Your EcoDrive might even charge itself with the Gs in the PA phase!

Of course, a better watch might better survive a crash, thus becoming a macabre heirloom to pass on to your family in the event of your death.

A truly great watch may be able to survive five years in your ass, hidden from Vietnamese prison guards.
watch.jpg

BTW, a G-Shock is generally too large to fit in one's ass without extensive practice, so I don't recommend that one.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
^ The steel might not rip apart but the movement inside might get damaged. Some watches are more rugged than others. I doubt a Brietling Navitimer would take abrupt and frequent high g manuevers well. A Breitling Colt, Omega Seamaster or Rolex GMT Master would probably do better but I still wouldn't want to chance it. Most of the guys I know take them off when doing any kind of sporting activity.

srqwho

pilot
A buddy of mine had to get out of a 45 shortly after t/o. When he landed (in the chute) he realized his Citizen was no longer on his wrist. It was later found during a FOD walk-down in the woods near the base (the G of ejection broke it off his wrist). The IP he was flying with was wearing an Omega X-33... it was still on his wrist. FWIW, the Citizen was repaired and it still working.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
It was later found during a FOD walk-down in the woods...

Why a FOD walkdown 'in the woods'? Or was it a walkdown to collect bits of wreckage/clues for the mishap investigation.
BzB

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My basic ironman from Timex does just fine.

Why are you worried about G forces when you are going to select Helos? :D

(and before you get ass hurt, I am just kidding)

-ea6bflyr ;)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
A buddy of mine had to get out of a 45 shortly after t/o. When he landed (in the chute) he realized his Citizen was no longer on his wrist. It was later found during a FOD walk-down in the woods near the base (the G of ejection broke it off his wrist). The IP he was flying with was wearing an Omega X-33... it was still on his wrist. FWIW, the Citizen was repaired and it still working.

Buddy (Vince V) was command ejected out of a VAQ-139 Prowler circa 91 over the Olympics and was wearing a G-Shock on his left wrist. He was in ECMO 1 and his band caught on the centerline canopy bow and he ended up with a hand avulsion losing the four fingers on that hand.

Don't know if the watch is still working or not ;) but he noted a leg restraint makes a poor tourniquet.