• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waste to pay for private pilot's license?

Z4nd3R

I was fortunate enough to get a USMC pilot contract and I report to TBS this August. I was wondering if anyone could give some thoughts on whether it would be worth it to get a private pilot's license on my own this summer as I'll have a good deal of free time. Thanks.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
While there are merits to it, I wouldn't waste the money. We've been teaching folks with no experience to fly for over a hundred years now. Focus on preparing for the closest thing you've got to worry about.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Your money is better spent at the bar, or on a boat, or doing something other than what you'll be paid to do in a few months.

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I was fortunate enough to get a USMC pilot contract and I report to TBS this August. I was wondering if anyone could give some thoughts on whether it would be worth it to get a private pilot's license on my own this summer as I'll have a good deal of free time. Thanks.

As someone who graduated flight school by the skin of my teeth, getting prior flight time would be the first thing I would do. In addition, if you wait until you get to PCola, you can get a good view of the course rules which can take some stress away as well.

jtmedli

pilot
I'd say getting through your solo would be helpful. Getting some time in a decent simulator doing IFR stuff would also be helpful. Knowing how to read the needles was EXTREMELY helpful to me in primary and advanced. I saw numerous people struggling with BIs (basic instrument maneuvers) and RIs (IFR stuff) and it all seemed easy to me. Most sims are free/cheap to use also. Just gotta cover the instructor's time. Mine used to just give me assignments to do in the sim (fly X route, hold, shoot an approach) and then come back to check my work on the computer haha. It was a good way to get some free/cheap instruction.

So, to directly answer your question, a PPL? IMHO, NO. Some time wiggling the sticks/yoke? YES. Knowing how to tune up a navaid and navigate/shoot an approach (and actually be confident/comfortable while doing it)? DEFINITELY.

Hopeful Hoya

pilot
Contributor
What do the speeds in a 172 look like vs a T-6 especially in the pattern? If I get selected I thought about getting 3-4 hours of time before I do IFS, but would it really make that much of a difference especially when you're only in the 172 for a couple of weeks and if the T-6 is a completely different animal?

jtmedli

pilot
What do the speeds in a 172 look like vs a T-6 especially in the pattern? If I get selected I thought about getting 3-4 hours of time before I do IFS, but would it really make that much of a difference especially when you're only in the 172 for a couple of weeks and if the T-6 is a completely different animal?

120HP cessna at 80kts (give or take) compared to a 1200HP at 120kts. It's pretty different but the principles are still the same.

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
120HP cessna at 80kts (give or take) compared to a 1200HP at 120kts. It's pretty different but the principles are still the same.
120kts? T-6 course rules are 250kts.

To the OP...I wouldn't sweat it. Even an entire PPL and 40 hours in a Cessna aren't going to prepare you for great success in flight school. Apples and oranges.

I'm a pilot..I can fly...and I never touched a plane before IFS.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Not at all. Typically the only appreciable difference we saw with prior flight time students was those with instrument experience. The prior flight time guys tended to do better in BIs/RIs but early on in contacts there wasn't as much of a performance increase from dudes who bombed around in Cessnas VFR (outside if being able to fly the plane w/in CTS on course rules etc).

ryan1234

If you actually enjoy aviation and flying, get involved with it. I'm not sure if it's still around, but there was a glider club near Pensacola that had a great group of people. Small airports are a pretty unique thing. You'll find a lot of people both civilian and prior military that have a passion for aviation and enjoy sharing that passion with others. Will it benefit you in flight school? Who knows... for some it may, and for others it may not.

Having said that, the beach in summer time Pensacola is pretty cool place. The plus side to wasting your money on a Private Pilot's Certificate is that you may not have any money to do something like.... use your commissioning loan to buy a Sammy's employee a car.