• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waste Management and Trash On Navy Aircraft Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

phrogpilot73

That's strange -- as we normally brought 100+ cases of beer (and everything else) ABOARD during a port call ...

My, my ... how times change.
:)
Yup. It was enroute to Rota for the washdown (last port call before home). It never made sense to me, as they could have sold it/given it away in Rota. And if they really wanted to get rid of it before Norfolk, they've got this small body of water called the Atlantic Ocean that they could have dumped it in after the port call. But NOOO, enroute to Rota it went overboard.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
When I first joined the Navy, we would throw everything over the side. Nowadays, the Navy is very eco-friendly and it's a pain in the butt for most of the crew. And you wonder why sharks follow the carrier around...

-ea6bflyr ;)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Uhhhh .... it's been know to happen. Seriously ...

Ya, I was sort of being serious. I'd heard it before, and I wasn't sure with all the crap I've heard what's true and what isn't. (Homosexuals meet up by the fantail or whatever, gangs meet wherever, you make enemies, you get thrown overboard):eek:

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Yup. It was enroute to Rota for the washdown (last port call before home). It never made sense to me....
That makes NO sense -- did the ship have to clear U.S. Customs in Rota?? I doubt it, and that's about the only reason I can think of to "clean ship" by deep 6-ing your stash ....

Ahhhh ... memories. The night before pulling into Pearl after returning from WestPac the catwalks were continuously illuminated by the quick flashes of many hatches being opened & shut ... always followed by the out-of-place tinkling of many, many "dead soldiers" being tossed over the side. :D

phrogpilot73

The night before pulling into Pearl after returning from WestPac the catwalks were continuously illuminated by the quick flashes of many hatches being opened & shut ... always followed by the out-of-place tinkling of many, many "dead soldiers" being tossed over the side. :D
The beauty of being a rotary wing guy... We just gave our dead soldiers to the crew chief... Out the back they went somewhere in a random sector...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Yup. It was enroute to Rota for the washdown (last port call before home). It never made sense to me, as they could have sold it/given it away in Rota. And if they really wanted to get rid of it before Norfolk, they've got this small body of water called the Atlantic Ocean that they could have dumped it in after the port call. But NOOO, enroute to Rota it went overboard.

Why didn't they just use it for "beer at the pier?"

phrogpilot73

C'mon, that would have made too much sense... It really was mind boggling, especially because as soon as the brow was down every S-5/MCCS/MWR guy on the ship went scurrying off to get beer on the pier set up (a.k.a. buy more of what they threw overboard). Maybe because they needed to get rid of previous FY funds?!? I'll never know.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Mmmmmmm...tasty...

web_020714-N-5652V-001.jpg

020714-N-5652V-001 At sea aboard USS Wasp (LHD 1) Jul. 14, 2002 -- Fire Controlman 3rd Class Eric Moore from Macon, GA, currently assigned to the ship’s environmental department, places a disc inside of a plastic bag for disposal. The melting unit compresses plastic trash, to reduce the size of the garbage for easier storage during deployments. The discs are stored on board until they can be removed from the ship and properly recycled or disposed. Wasp's environmental department processes 160 plastic discs daily. The Wasp’s Amphibious Ready Group (ARG) and embarked 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) are conducting missions in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. U.S. Navy photo by Fireman Vernishia R. Vaughn. (RELEASED)

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
phrogdriver said:
C'mon, that would have made too much sense...

I love the Navy -- always have; always will ...

But it's called stupidity. A lack of leadership. A mind-bending genuflection to the bureaucratic mindset.

It's called "why" so many guys get out of the Navy.

/trash talk threadjack :)

Flugelman

Contributor
I love the Navy -- always have; always will ...

But it's called stupidity. A lack of leadership. A mind-bending genuflection to the bureaucratic mindset.

It's called "why" so many guys get out of the Navy.

/trash talk threadjack :)

To continue the threadjack...
This "Beer" thing kind of reminds me of the "End of fiscal quarter" follies when we would scramble to defuel one aircraft that had just gone down in order to have credit enough to fuel another mission capable aircraft in order to launch the Ready One Crew on a real live Russkie. :icon_rage

Keystone Kops routine from the Head Shed.... ARRRRRGH

/end rant/threadjack

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Back in the day...everything went over the side when 50 miles out to sea...AIGs would follow us and pick at anything that floated.
Overall a smellly rank job working trash detail...should be on Dirtiest Jobs show.
Trash detail on the 'dumper' still had to have been better than on the 'dumpee' - the Soviet trawler or AGI:

"Hull down amidst the garbage, the Soviet trawler was fishing for intelligence. All day it had wallowed along in the wake of the U.S. aircraft carrier Franklin D. Roosevelt, scooping up gobs of creamed beef and soggy lettuce in hopes of finding a classified document inadvertently mixed in the mess." :yuck_125:​
http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,840690,00.html?iid=chix-sphere

Ingrid007

The real answer...

There is no simple answer for your question. The reason for this being that there is not a specific law that embodies all of the pollution issues that occur when a carrier is underway.

There are many laws, acts and regulations that the carriers must abide by.

The MARPOL is supposed to minimize water pollution. It specifically includes, oil, noxious substances carried in bulk, harmful substances carried in package form, sewage, garbage, and air pollution. The big problem with the MARCOlL is that when an incident occurs outside of a countries' jurisdiction when it becomes international waters, which is just a few miles away from land, then sometimes the jurisdiction can not be claimed, therefore making it easy for ships to abuse these rules.

There is the Clean Water Act, and it is trying to eliminate large amounts of toxic substances being dumped into the water.

This is an easy one to remember, it is called, The act to prevent Pollution from ships. With a name like that It sounds like it does more than it does, but it just regulates air pollution such as nitrogen, carbon and sulfuric dioxides.

With one carrier alone, it is estimated that hundreds and hundreds of thousands of gallons of sewage, gray water, which is caused by cleaning dishes, clothes, or bodies, hazardous waste, solid waste, such as the scraps you mentioned including the wood, and bilge water, which can be petroleum, oil leaks from the engine or machinery, do get into our oceans. This waste pollutes our ports, can spread harmful algae and other invasive species that can cause diseases such as caner and tumors, birth defects, can even be toxic animals, native marine life and contaminate our seafood.

The main problem with all of this is that it is very difficult to regulate and impose. We have to have some what of an honor system on these rules, and unfortunately, some people do not honor them.

So, I do think that the environmental activists do have a right to be concerned. It is a certainly has been an ongoing concern to myself.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.