• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Washington State to TBS - Route suggestions?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Driving from Washington State to TBS, just looking for some suggestions. Looking to make decent time but also maybe see some stuff. Any suggestions by anybody? Dont think Ill be making the drive again, so I want to make it economical and also enjoy it. Thanks all.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
devil_dog said:
Driving from Washington State to TBS, just looking for some suggestions. Looking to make decent time but also maybe see some stuff. Any suggestions by anybody? Dont think Ill be making the drive again, so I want to make it economical and also enjoy it. Thanks all.

If you can find 80 E, take it into N. Jersey, and then the Turnpike south across the Delaware Memorial Bridge, then 95 S to DC.. and I can't remember from there...

You'll pay some tolls between NJ and DC...

Hope this helps. My sister has driven parts of I-80, and says its a pretty good drive.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
devil_dog said:
If you're into staying north for a while, I did I-90 through Montana and spent some time in Glacier NP - breathtaking! I-80 hits the west coast in San Fran (about 15 hours south of Seattle), so I don't know if that's the best route to take.

Brett

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
If you're into staying north for a while, I did I-90 through Montana and spent some time in Glacier NP - breathtaking!
Exactly what I was gonna recommend...but Brett beat me to it.

Clux4

Banned
You can always do it the old way. Pull out a map and figure out the interesting places you like to pass through and go from there. Offcourse this depends on how much time and gas money you have to play around. I definitely would not mind such a trip.

Gas prices are up there right now !!

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Clux4 said:
You can always do it the old way. Pull out a map and figure out the interesting places you like to pass through and go from there. Offcourse this depends on how much time and gas money you have to play around. I definitely would not mind such a trip.

Gas prices are up there right now !!

Yeah, Im planning out my trip, but I was just seein if anyone else might have some deep knowledge of the trip and know something that a map might not tell me.

Good thing you told me about the old way (i.e. map), i was just gonna buy a compass and drive east till I hit the atlantic and hope its close to Quantico ....
:icon_wink

Texan

Why enemy pilots dont sleep well
I did the reverse about a 2 years ago... started in WV, went west on the northern route, east on a southern route.

If you're into camping / hiking, go through the SD badlands, and the Black hills. check out Mt. Rushmore and the indian thing (Crazy horse?) both are worth a few days if you can spend it there (camping's cheap - GREAT parks in the black hills). Yellowstone is a must at least once in your life but spend at least 3 - 4 days to see the fun stuff.

Chi-town is always a blast - go see a Cubs game and have some good steaks or pizza. Indiana and Ohio suck though. If you go through Dayton, you HAVE to stop at the flight museum at Wright / Patterson AFB. Be sure to take the bus out to the other building to see the X-70 Valkarie and the other planes they keep hidden back there.

PA is pretty boring too, but if you drive through, take pictures of yourself standing in front of all of the towns with goofy names (Intercourse, Beaver College, Blue Balls, etc.). Jersey rocks. Stop by the Rutgers - New Brunswick Campus and eat a Fat B*tch at the Grease Tucks on College Ave. It'll be the best sandwich you'll ever eat (although now the PC police have changed the name to a 'fat beach'

There's always NYC if you're going that far north. Stop to see the Twin Towers site. Southern Jersey has Six-Flags Great adventure. Philly has LOTS to do including 'Midnight Floyd' at the planetarium.

DC is a must. I particularly like the Smithsonian and the Library of Congress. Stop by your Senator's office if he / she's in and ask if one of the aids can give you a brief tour - you might get to sit in the peanut gallery above the senate for a while. Make sure to call ahead though and explain what you're doing - suggest what you want to do otherwise, you'll be blown off quicker than a freshman at rush.

If you're going further south, there's always Vegas and the surrounding stuff down there. Not much from there East though unless you drop down to Dallas or even further south. Pretty much from Vegas to Tennessee is a long boring drive, lots of flatness and in AR, the roads are a b*tch.

Oh, and in case you werent watching the news, stay away from I 10 unless you wanna go swimming.

I guess that about covers it. stop by a AAA office - they can plan everything out for you - then they give you free books and maps to boot.

Good luck,
Texan

bennett4362

deployment sucks
Texan said:
Pretty much from Vegas to Tennessee is a long boring drive, lots of flatness and in AR, the roads are a b*tch.

I-24 and other parts of tennessee are really gorgeous through the rocky mts, but you're right about the roads in ar (originally from there).

we just made the drive (from va beach through atlanta to arkansas to whidbey island); my favorite part was through wyoming--absolutely beautiful, i thought.

esday1

He'll dazzle you with terms like "Code Red."
I've driven cross-country round-trip with my girlfriend twice, and we usually found that there were parts of the country (mainly west of the great plains) where we wanted to take secondary roads and scenic detours and take a little bit more time, and other places (pretty much everything east of the Mississippi, unless you're going through Tennessee or hitting the Blue Ridge parkway) where we just wanted to get on the interstate and do 700 miles a day. I'd second Glacier NP (although I'd make sure you take Going-to-the-Sun road rather than route 2), Yellowstone, and the black hills (I-90 through SD has a lot of strange but worthwhile tourist traps). Also, depending on where you're starting in WA, taking state route 20 over the Cascades can be a pretty spectacular alternative to I-90, probably up there with Glacier in terms of scenery. You should be able to do the whole thing in a week or less and still take a few detours to see stuff. Having another driver to alternate with helps a LOT.

Ann Merke

I just drove from WA state to TBS, checked in at TBS on the 1st, if you have any specific questions. It wasn't a terribly great drive, but I saw some good things and made good time. But then again, it was my second cross country drive. Where in WA are you coming from?

Herc_Dude

pilot
Contributor
Just finished up. Had a great drive. Made a detour through yellowstone, came back up to I90 and saw Rushmore, Wall Drug and the other tourist traps. Nothing much to see on the east side besides large cities. Now Im in DC, checking into IFS tommorow. A drive acorss the country is something everyone should try once. There is a lot to see. Pretty fun to see how different part of the country are. There are some real differences between how everyone else lives. Everyone over here is in such a damn hurry! But I guarentee I can smoke any of you goin down a dirt road! :icon_wink

s/f