• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Washington Post article on drones

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wow. That is some overblown and poorly researched writing, especially for a serious paper like the Post. There are several instances cited which I know for a fact are either factually wrong or vastly overstated. But what the hell. There's already so much misreporting and sensationalizing about UAS, what's one more article?

LFCFan

*Insert nerd wings here*
So if the accident rate for drones is now on par with the F-15 and F-16, doesn't that sort of make all of this a non-story? If anything, my takeaway is "we're figuring this out and getting good at it."

exNavyOffRec

So if the accident rate for drones is now on par with the F-15 and F-16, doesn't that sort of make all of this a non-story? If anything, my takeaway is "we're figuring this out and getting good at it."

But you read the entire article and understood it. I am willing to bet the average person will just skim it over and go "those things are falling out of the sky", I should send this link to some people I know that have no affiliation with the military and see what their reaction is.

Hotdogs

I don’t care if I hurt your feelings
pilot
A $3.8 million Predator carrying a Hellfire missile cratered near Kandahar in January 2010 because the pilot did not realize she had been flying the aircraft upside-down.

Hell yeah. I wonder what call sign came out of that one.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Only for the MQ-9 Reaper, not so for most others.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
I have a hard time believing they have the same accident rate as manned fighters. Those things crashed all the time when we were in Afghanistan. The small ones especially crashed pretty much every single day. The larger ones were better, but still several went down.

exNavyOffRec

If you search several papers that are carrying this article many are labeling it something like "Military drones are falling from the sky"