• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Was Web-san having a bad day?

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I fly the bus. I saw that and wonder if it wasn’t dubbed over. Who knows. I’ve heard my fair share of welcome aboard PAs that have had me go “huh?”

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I fly the bus. I saw that and wonder if it wasn’t dubbed over. Who knows. I’ve heard my fair share of welcome aboard PAs that have had me go “huh?”
Yeah, but it was your airline, so the joke was close enough for government work. :p

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Curious whether there is any company guidance/guidelines on the content of your announcements?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
50/50 that guy is dating a Flight Attendant.

@Brett327 Airline dependent but most give the CA leeway on PAs as long as they cover the needed points. Style/flair is optional. At Skywest we flew AA/DL/UA flights so most CAs just read the script and kept it vanilla. Now I do boxes so thankfully no PAs.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Curious whether there is any company guidance/guidelines on the content of your announcements?
Brett, just like the military there are canned brief formats in our equivalent of our operations manual. “Communication with passengers”. Some PA announcements are mandatory. The rest is just technique, don’t be the pilot making the level off PA at 6am waking everyone up etc. I’m a fan of less is more (I know, shocking from a P3 bubba!). I’ve heard some crazy PA “spiels” over the years. And I was like, this guy is a goof, and then watched as 90% of the pax leaving the plane remarked they “loved” the PAs (go figure). Some of it is knowing the audience, destination and are we on time versus pax have been sitting in the terminal for 24 hours. Some of my favorite PAs are Delta pilots making the PA over the radio by mistake!

Ultimately I think all of us try a communicate truthfully with the pax on delays and maintenance issues without going to in-depth. Balancing act of keeping the pax informed of changing circumstances while not freaking them out.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Nothing beats that SWA pilot saying nasty things about a particular flight attendant he didn't like... on hot mic over center. And everyone else checking in for the next few minutes saying "That wasn't us..."

I wonder what that guy is doing for work now?

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

Sometimes. For example, during Covid last airline had a script of things that had to be said. Also for a period of time going to DC after the protest.

If no script generally people say what they want. Current airline is script free. There was a company pilot development class last year that focused on importance of PAs from pilots and positive their effect on customer satisfaction surveys (which increase management performance bonuses). I prefer to say less. In the back I hate when my movie is interrupted by someone making a useless PA. That class made me want to talk to pax even less.

Some pilots really like to talk and feel they have important things to say. Often times they’ve been making announcements since before smart phones, air pods, and passengers buying tickets based on the cheapest price.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Nothing beats that SWA pilot saying nasty things about a particular flight attendant he didn't like... on hot mic over center. And everyone else checking in for the next few minutes saying "That wasn't us..."

I wonder what that guy is doing for work now?

Pretty sure he’s still a SWA pilot… or at least was until he retired. That was well before SWA was dragged kicking and screaming into the DEI age.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also for a period of time going to DC after the protest.
Not sure what an airline PA announcement would have done after that. “Please don’t throw a riot and invade the Capitol while you’re here?”

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Not sure what an airline PA announcement would have done after that. “Please don’t throw a riot and invade the Capitol while you’re here?”

It was after a flight to DC diverted due to pax chanting. There were some specific things we had to say after that. The details aren’t super important but, kinda like being a skipper… you say a buncha bullshit the folks writing your checks want you to say, whether you believe in the words or not. You know it probably won’t change anything but at least when stuff goes sideways you can say that you said it like you were supposed to.