• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

was just professionally recommended... help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DooDooBrown

I was just professionally recommended for an NFO slot at OCS. I know this is not the equivalent of being flat out accepted… but does anyone know the probability of being accepted after being professionally recommended? ive heard that receiving a prof. rec. is the hardest part and you are about 90% of the way there. true or false? Intel was my first choice and my recruiters tell me I have a 30 day window to accept the NFO professional recommendation or I might lose the invitation. is this true - or are they just putting pressure on me so that they can make quota? I would like to continue waiting to hear back from Intel b/c I think I have pretty fair shot at it, but I don’t want screw up my chances of becoming an NFO either. mainly I want serve the country.

dolfinsafe

Well, after the prof. recom, they will evaluate your "entire" package. I don't know the exact probability of getting selected. It depends again, on your "whole" package and ofcourse slots.
I am in the same boat, having gotten prof. recom, for supply and Intel and now just waiting and waiting (3 weeks now)
some say the wait is less than 2 weeks, others are still waiting at 5 weeks....I read on one of the forums how this guy got his answer and then a week later had to report at OCS....but mostly folks have to wait.
And at this point its really competitive to get in, so you should be really proud of your NFO recom,'d!!! Good Luck!

"the elusive half-step between middle-management and true leadership is grace under pressure." JFK

gnorman911

I am still waiting and it has been 6 weeks now, after being pro-rec for SNA. I am not sure what is going on, I would like to think that If I was going to get rejected that they would of told me by now. But, I am going to have to get my recruiter to find out some info for me on monday, because I am getting broke waiting. If anyone has any advice on how a civilian in my situation, who has already graduated college can get some straight answers, please let me know.

paullatina

My advise to everyone is just to hang on and dont loose sight. It only took me 3 weeks to get the final word once I was pro. recommended, but I know exactly what your thinking. The deal is, is that the hard part is over. Yes you have 30 days to accept the invitation and be sworn in. However I dont know how it would work if you were holding out for a different designation. Basically all their looking for once you've been pro. recommended is a passing PRT and an acceptable MEPS physicial. In my case I also had to get the PRK waiver. Good luck to you all, and be patient cause your day in the sun will be here soon!

Dave Shutter

It's kind of like being asked back for that third job interview. Yes, it's great because you passed your initial screenings, but now you have to talk to the man and he might think otherwise. What happens now is that you go to a board for your first community choice made of senior officers from that community. They're looking beyond good grades, fitness and the fact that you never got busted for anything, but instead at finer points that (they know in their experience) will contribute to success in training. What these are exactly is anyones guess, save the people who've actually done it. I've heard they use a pt. system for individual merits and see who wins and I've heard they sit down with their morning coffee and just start picking people. I guess it depends on how slow or competetive it is that month. Is this the point where a guy with a ton of private time will get picked over someone who has none, providing their app's are otherwise similiar? If I had to bet I'd say yes, but who knows. Again, this is beyond your control so try to be stoic about it. I know that's not what you want to hear but that's the way it is. Good luck!

Integer

Banned
Congrats! By the way, what exactly is the process of a pro. rec.? Does it mean that the applicant submitted his package and his recruiter was able to tell him, unofficially, that someone down the line signed away a pro. rec. on him--before the Board sees the package but after it was already submitted? Thanks!

Meridiani

After being pro recc'ed for SNFO myself, my recruiter told me that about 95% of all recommended applicants who have no medical or security issues go on to be selected. Couldn't verify that info for you, but I did indeed get selected.

Hoose

congrats man I'm in the same boat. I just recieved mine last week for NFO(long fought 2 year battle to get in). Like you I'm looking for some answers on what this final step is, and how much it improves my chances.

Hoose

Well its long story, just to give you some back round that will come into play later I was born and raised America but I’m half Iranian half white.

When I first I applied two years ago, it was when started to turn my life around. I began college at the University of Iowa; starting out real strong in the college of engineering. Then my sophomore year I started to work, party while going to school. As a result my grades slipped a little but not much. I went from a 3.5 to about a 3.1, which I thought isn’t to bad considering I was working 30hrs a week, taking 14 hrs of engineering classes and partying 4 nights a week. Well I decided to do an internship at Maytag Appliances for a year to take a break from school. The internship just gave me more money than I knew what to do with. I was 20 making around $16 per hour ($2,800 per month) and on top of that working over time, which made it more like $3,500 per month. 3 months into my internship I ended getting a OWI for moving my car to the other side to avoid a parking ticket in morning (I had already racked up over $40 the next one they would have toed my car). The cop pulled me over for doing a U turn, plus Iowa City, Iowa being the highest OWI rate per capita in the U.S. ; I should of known better than to role dice in this town.

This was my wake up call to turn my life around, I started looking for career that I would really want to do, because I knew after my internship I didn’t want to sit in a cubicle all day writing code as an Electrical Engineer. So, that’s when I turned to the Navy and just knew instantly that being in jet was for me, couldn’t get enough of the discovery channel, plus I’m an adrenaline junky and love speed. I didn’t have 20/20 vision, which made me go NFO. I applied only 4 months after I got the OWI, and was turned down but they told me it was due to my downward trend in my grade point and the OWI on my record (This was in early 2001 before 9/11). That rejection didn’t turn me away but instead made me more determined to get in.

After 9/11 I finished my internship, I went back to school set on changing my GPA around and proving my self. Only a 1 ½ into the semester my father ended up dieing a civilian plane crash when he was on a business trip in Iran (my parents have been separated since I was kid, my father was living over sees). My father’s death hit me like tone of bricks since it was so unexpected. Plus now I had a difficult decision, I could choose to not to pass my EPSQ and go to my father’s funeral in Iran or stay so I could still be an eligible candidate. After a week of thinking about it I decided to stay and keep pursuing a career in the Navy.

The following semesters I did very well getting 3.4 to 3.3 with 18hr course loads. I went ahead and reapplied and managed to start a business in the meantime. But issues still came up, ever since my fathers death I had to go through long ugly process of collecting his estate from hear in America. The Iranian government required me to apply for an Iranian passport, to have ability to pass the power of attorney to someone to collect the estate in my name. Due to the current tensions between the U.S. and Iran the Navy didn’t like the idea of me having that passport. They told me they wouldn’t make a decision unless I get rid of it. I already skipped my own father’s funeral just so I could still have a shot, and they wanted me to give up his estate not knowing I was even accepted. I told them; that was unacceptable. If they rejected me again I would be basically left with no career or anything to fall back on. But I still was determined to get in so I reached compromise with them; I would relinquish my passport before I graduated from college if they accepted me, give me sometime to collect some of his estate but not everything. Next thing I know, one week later I was told that I was just professionally recommended and probably a 95% chance that I’d get in.

Just hoping that nothing else comes up, and I’m officially accepted in the next couple weeks, like I said it’s been long road. But if something else comes up I wouldn’t be surprised.

DairyCreamer

Was curious... did you participate in any sort of interviews then prior to your denials and/or eventual selection?

My recruiter is telling me that the only thing really standing in my way of SNA selection is my GPA, and god knows, I'd love a chance to interview with that to at least explain.

Also, does anyone think that me applying here in July of 2003 for an OCS slot sometime in FY 2005 (Between Janurary and End of September anyway) improves my chances? I wonder if more slots open = slightly less picky selection.

Thanks guys!

~Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.