• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Warfare Qualified Intel Os?

Cornellianintel

I read somewhere that a number of intel officers were warfare qualified (the CO of NMITC, for instance). I would assume that the vast majority of these were either SWOs or Aviators who transferred into the Intel community after earning their pin. Does anyone know, however, if it's fairly common for intel officers to have the opportunity to earn a surface warfare qualification? If one were to earn a pin, would he then be designated as an URL officer?

Thanks in advance.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
SWO has been changed so that only those in the SWO community can earn the SWO pin/qulification.

To change to URL, you would have to go to transfer to a URL community with the respective change in designators.

Cornellianintel

Thanks for the info, HAL Pilot. I read a story about one Intel guy who's CO granted him a special favor, but I think that was a while ago.

Best,
cac

Cornellianintel

Got another good one from a friend at the other site. Good times.

"Hey Cornell,

I used to be a FC, so my experience with officers on a carrier is mostly with Combat Systems and Ops. I know that Intel Officers are in Ops, but I didn't come across them often because they hole themselves away in spaces that are really cold and dark. So, the only thing I can tell you about Intel officers is that they always had a jacket on, even in the summer, in the Gulf. :D

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful. "

r,
CEW

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think the only way an Intel officer can have a warfare pin is if he earned it before he went 1630.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
HH-60H said:
I think the only way an Intel officer can have a warfare pin is if he earned it before he went 1630.

The Naval Aviation Observer wings are about it as far as potentially earnable warfare pins go - and they are a tough stretch in anything but the Maritime communities. (The requirement is 200 hrs.)

If you're out on a boat somewhere, there's still the opportunity to get your OOD/TAO/etc quals, but they'll be just that - paper quals. Worth doing if you have the time and intererst, but you'll only have personal self-satisfaction to show at the end of it.

As was said, the only intel guys with warfare pins I've ever seen have been change of designators.

STA-21-INTEL

I have known a few intel O's that had gotten their SWO pin while onboard an AMPHIB. Those that I talked to said that as far as they knew, only AMPHIB intel guys ever got the chance, and that was still up to their CO and chain of command whether or not to allow them.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
STA-21-INTEL said:
I have known a few intel O's that had gotten their SWO pin while onboard an AMPHIB. Those that I talked to said that as far as they knew, only AMPHIB intel guys ever got the chance, and that was still up to their CO and chain of command whether or not to allow them.
No, no, no. Let me repeat this again. No. It is NOT up to their CO.

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
FlyinSpy said:
If you're out on a boat somewhere, there's still the opportunity to get your OOD/TAO/etc quals, but they'll be just that - paper quals. Worth doing if you have the time and intererst, but you'll only have personal self-satisfaction to show at the end of it.
...and a place on the watchbill.