• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'War hero' admits he never went to battle

Dhc2tacksby

There was a good article in the Marine Times a few weeks back. It listed a number of people who were caught impersonating Marines, most of the ones they wrote about never served in the Marine Corps. One was a plumber in the USAF, and most others never served.

It does piss me off that people do this, however you don't read about people pretending to be Airmen or Sailors do you?

Cheers

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
I don't know this for a fact, but I assume it is illegal to wear a police uniform, carry a badge, etc. Too bad the same wouldn't apply for the military.

Yeah they can wear the uniform and still be legal...but if there's any awards or decorations on there that they didn't earn they're breaking the law.

Personally I think it should be illegal to wear an EGA on a uniform if you didn't earn it.

pdx

HSM Pilot
Personally I think it should be illegal to wear an EGA on a uniform if you didn't earn it.

It is. The only exceptioin is films/plays where the intent is to portray a military service member, not impersonate one. After all, it would suck to see John Wayne arrested:icon_wink

"Life's tough, but it's tougher if yer stupid." (Sands of Iwo Jima)

plc67

pilot
Well, by looking at the picture you can tell by the way he's saluting that he never was a MARINE and you can tell by the fact that he is saluting that he never was a squid.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
Well, by looking at the picture you can tell by the way he's saluting that he never was a MARINE and you can tell by the fact that he is saluting that he never was a squid.

Actually if you had read the story, you would have realized he was a Marine.

plc67

pilot
Hmm, I was taught that there was more to being a Marine than wearing the uniform. Check with your Platoon Sergeant and/or Sergeant Instructor when you get to Senior PLCs to see if things have changed since 1967.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
"Mr. Ortiz, who was born Gerrald Jerome Brown, now says his career in the Marines was actually 3½ years and ended in 1962"

He actually was a Marine for 3 and half years. This does not mean that I think he should not be prosecuted for impersonating a Marine. I think he should be prosecuted because he did not receive the medals/awards/rank/time in service that he claimed he did, but he actually was a Marine at one time. Just wanted to point that fact out.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I actually just feel sorry for him. It must be sad to be such a loser that you have to parade around in stuff you didn't earn so people will admire you. It's pathetic, really.

As far as being prosecuted, I'm no lawyer, but I believe it's a crime to impersonate an officer (this guy wasn't, but plenty have) or to wear certain medals (MOH, I think). Aside from that, depending on what type of dischange he recieved in '62 (3 and a half years makes me wonder) I don't think he committed a crime, per se. He's just a pathetic idiot.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
plc67 I did not read your profile prior to typing my first reponse, so I apologize for my tone in it. Damn internet and its impersonality.

FLYMARINES

Doing Flips and Shit.
pilot
I actually just feel sorry for him. It must be sad to be such a loser that you have to parade around in stuff you didn't earn so people will admire you. It's pathetic, really.

As far as being prosecuted, I'm no lawyer, but I believe it's a crime to impersonate an officer (this guy wasn't, but plenty have) or to wear certain medals (MOH, I think). Aside from that, depending on what type of dischange he recieved in '62 (3 and a half years makes me wonder) I don't think he committed a crime, per se. He's just a pathetic idiot.

Completely agree. From his phone interview and his remarks, I doubt that he was an exemplary Marine, and he seems a bit unbalanced.

plc67

pilot
I believe you have to have served honorably to wear the uniform after discharge. I realize that's not a capital crime, and this guy obviously has many other issues, but I've run into enough posers, military and aeronautical, that it casts a shadow over my otherwise sunny personality.

jmiller82

This guy, in addition to what others have said needs to happen, should spend some time, just as "bad Marines" do, in the brig. They should restore him to active duty and restrict him to the brig, without pay or benefits. Spending some time with "fellow Marines" would straighten him out very quick. :)

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
They should restore him to active duty and restrict him to the brig, without pay or benefits.

I am not sure he can be recalled to AD. However, if they did they could not completely withold his pay or benefits except what is narrowly allowed by the UCMJ.