• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

'War hero' admits he never went to battle

jmiller82

Haha! I wasn't being literal! I thought the UCMJ allowed for total pay/benefits reduction or loss for a set amount of time. I know they can demote you. Any JAG's on here that could set it straight? I'm sure he's too old to go back on AD, but it would still be sweet to mix him in with REAL Marines to see what happened..

pdx

HSM Pilot
Haha! I wasn't being literal! I thought the UCMJ allowed for total pay/benefits reduction or loss for a set amount of time. I know they can demote you. Any JAG's on here that could set it straight? I'm sure he's too old to go back on AD, but it would still be sweet to mix him in with REAL Marines to see what happened..

Yeah, forget the official active duty stuff. Just put him in a room with a bunch of retired Marines who DID earn their awards.

I bet that if they politely and patiently explained things, it would straighten him out.;)

jmiller82

I doubt he even knows the Marine hymn.. That's sad that somebody would deceive people over being a soldier/serviceman of any sort, and worse at that, he did it for $$ (speaking engagements).

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I thought the UCMJ allowed for total pay/benefits reduction or loss for a set amount of time.

Well, that's what I meant, you can only take away/reduce pay for just a couple months. Also, when on AD there some benefits you cannot take away e.g. medical/dental. We would have to give that dirt bag that stuff.

I bet he still remembers the Hymn. I am not even a Marine, and I only had to learn it/sing it for 7 or 8 weeks, but I still remember the first verse. If it was inspiring and motivating enough for this squid, I am sure it is burned into the memory of anyone who has earned the EGA.

pdx

HSM Pilot
He probably knows every verse of the hymn. I bet he sung it to himself as part of his little fantasy life.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Well, that's what I meant, you can only take away/reduce pay for just a couple months.

At a General Court Martial you can lose all pay and allowances for your entire sentence. For instance, a typical sentence for a murderer would be "Reduction to E-1, loss of all pay and allowances, and confinement for 25 years".

It's a moo point since this guy will never get a GCM.

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
I remember something about Congress trying to pass a law a little while ago making it a crime to falsely claim to have won the MOH ... something about how it was the only medal you couldn't falsely possess or wear, but nothing about claiming to have had it...

Blah, I'd look it up if I weren't lazy. I don't think it's a crime to wear a Silver Star or a Purple Heart though.

I just don't understand how everyone bought into this for so long though. This isn't a local yokel dude claiming to have done a tour in Vietnam and taken a bullet. It's a guy making extravagant and outrageous claims... and nobody checked on it for a decade?

If I didn't already think the media was utterly irresponsible to begin with... I do now.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I just don't understand how everyone bought into this for so long though. This isn't a local yokel dude claiming to have done a tour in Vietnam and taken a bullet. It's a guy making extravagant and outrageous claims... and nobody checked on it for a decade?

If I didn't already think the media was utterly irresponsible to begin with... I do now.

If anything, it goes to show how uninformed the general public is regarding the military. We make up a small enough portion of the population that statistically most people do not know anyone in uniform and have not been directly exposed to the military, our culture, or how we do what we do. All they have to go by is the crazy crap Hollywood dishes out. It's hard to make an educated judgment on a subject you have no experience in.

jmiller82

I second that, nittany03. What ever happened to Hollywood using technical or professional advisors (i.e. Top Gun, they used several advisors and it showed, The Rock, same thing, etc..) from the military? I guess in the end, the public only wants to see sexy explosions and dramatic fighting, not the day to day of the military..

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I second that, nittany03. What ever happened to Hollywood using technical or professional advisors (i.e. Top Gun, they used several advisors and it showed, The Rock, same thing, etc..) from the military? I guess in the end, the public only wants to see sexy explosions and dramatic fighting, not the day to day of the military..

Because Top Gun and The Rock are the epitomy of realism... and really showed the day to day of the military, not sexy explosions and dramatic fighting...

I know what you're getting at, but if you're gonna make a statement like that... make sure your supporting evidence is actually supportive...

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
If anything, it goes to show how uninformed the general public is regarding the military. We make up a small enough portion of the population that statistically most people do not know anyone in uniform and have not been directly exposed to the military, our culture, or how we do what we do. All they have to go by is the crazy crap Hollywood dishes out. It's hard to make an educated judgment on a subject you have no experience in.

Yeah, but uninformed through lack of effort.

Seriously, what more does the military need to do to make themselves understood to the general public? Embedded reporters? Backseat rides in Tomcats? Tours of nuclear submarines? Open up the base to the general public for airshows? The DoD bends over backwards to make a ton of info available, and yet certain factions choose to remain uninformed.

I'm sorry, but there's a wealth of information out there, from museums to books to this board.

If the media is too stupid to try to make a simple effort to confirm a (supposedly) high-profile hero-NCOs identity with an organization which would be perfectly willing to do so...

What does that say about articles written on NSA? CIA? Or closed societies like Iran? North Korea?

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
Some of these guys make a pretty good living off of thier stories. Case in point: http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3901/is_199809/ai_n8811403
http://cgi.ebay.com/P-38-Fighter-Pi...goryZ585QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/phonies1050.htm (scroll down to the name Arnold, Fredric)

Here's a recent story of an imposter who was prosecuted.

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Law targets those with unearned military medals

By Jason Cato
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Sunday, July 2, 2006

Marine majors have accomplished plenty in the Corps' 230-year history, but tales from "The Terminator" just didn't add up.

He'd been a SEAL, a sniper and a pilot. His stories were larger than life, and no one at the Soldiers & Sailors National Military Museum and Memorial in Oakland believed him. But it was the Navy Cross pinned to his dress blues that proved too much to stomach.

"He had more battle activity than eight guys together," Ron Gancas, museum president, said about John Eastman, who faces federal charges of impersonating a military officer. "Why he picked this place to B.S. I don't know. Everybody was in the military here."

Eastman, 58, of New Galilee, Beaver County, is accused of falsely wearing a major's insignia at a Veteran's Day function in 2004. He was indicted this year and, if convicted, would face a maximum penalty of six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

If his outcome is anything like that of another imposter prosecuted this year in Pittsburgh, jail time is unlikely. Albert McKelvey, 68, of Richland, faked being a Marine colonel, presenting neatly folded flags to widows at funerals and delivering inspirational speeches to veterans groups. He paid for his transgressions with a $2,500 fine and probation.

A bill -- the Stolen Valor Act -- making its way through Congress would increase the penalties for imposters and help prosecutors go after phonies.

The bill, introduced last year by Democratic Rep. John Salazar, of Colorado, picked up 127 co-sponsors. A Senate version of the bill got support on June 14 from Philadelphia Republican Arlen Specter, whose support insiders say virtually guarantees the bill will make it out of the Senate judiciary committee he chairs. Salazar has said he expects the bill to move through Congress before the session ends in October.

"I feel people should be punished," Gancas said. "There are people out there who paid a price to wear those medals on their chest."

Falsely claiming to be in the military or to have earned a medal is a misdemeanor under current law. Imposters can be charged only if they've worn medals or insignia they didn't earn. The penalty is a jail term of up to six months, a fine or both.

The new legislation would make the crime a felony and enable prosecutors to charge imposters for simply claiming -- verbally or in writing -- a rank or medals they didn't earn.

That would not bode well for people like Eastman, whose business card read "The Terminator" and boldly stated he was the recipient of the Navy Cross -- the second highest medal awarded in the Navy, Marine Corps or Coast Guard.

Under the Stolen Valor Act, falsely claiming to have received the Navy Cross, Air Force Cross, Distinguished Service Medal, Silver Star or Purple Heart would double the maximum penalty to up to a year in prison, bringing those medals in line with the Medal of Honor.

"There's more phony recipients out there than real ones," said Joe Marm, the only one of 111 living Medal of Honor recipients who hails from Western Pennsylvania.

Marm, a native of Washington, Washington County, received the Medal of Honor as an Army first lieutenant for demonstrating "indomitable courage" during combat in 1965 near Ia Drang Valley, Vietnam.

While attending his son's graduation from Ranger school at Fort Benning, Ga., in the mid-1990s, Marm said, he was introduced along with two other Medal of Honor recipients. One was real. The other -- in full dress blues with the medal around his neck -- was a phony. Marm turned him in to the FBI that afternoon.

"Anything they can do to tighten up the laws -- not just for Medal of Honor recipients, but all medals -- is a good thing," said Marm, who now lives in North Carolina.

The FBI has investigated more than 100 cases of phonies during the past decade and has about 20 open cases against people impersonating military officers.

Should the Stolen Valor Act become law, investigators would be able to go after many more, said Doug Sterner of Pueblo, Colo. Sterner operates homeofheroes.com, a Web site dedicated to honoring veterans. His work has made him a de facto hunter of phonies.

"The problem is, there are scores of people who go unpunished because they slip through the loopholes of the laws as they're written," said Sterner, whose wife, Pamla, helped draft the Stolen Valor Act. "For every one who gets punished, there are hundreds who aren't."

Sterner said thousands of people nationwide falsely claim to be military officers or to have earned ranks and honors. Many of them are smart enough not to don the fake medals or ribbons, he said.

An Arizona newspaper ran a two-page story about a local Army "hero" who captured Saddam Hussein in Iraq, routed the Taliban in Afghanistan and liberated Haiti. A color photo showed his framed medal collection, including two Silver Stars, the Distinguished Service Cross, two Bronze Stars and a Purple Heart. The stories -- and medals -- were lies.

For years, an Illinois district judge displayed two Medals of Honor in a framed case in his chambers. There have been only 18 dual recipients in U.S. history, and Judge Michael O'Brien wasn't one of them. Nor is he one of the 111 living Medal of Honor recipients.

L. Ron Hubbard, the late founder of Scientology, claimed to have earned 27 military medals, including two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star. In reality, the Navy says he earned just four -- the same basic medals awarded all sailors who served in the Pacific during World War II.

Falsely claiming to have earned ranks and medals isn't a victimless crime, officials say.

A North Carolina college student was prosecuted after claiming military status that exempted her from more than $42,000 in tuition and fees. Meredith College officials believed their honor student was an accomplished Air Force pilot, who flew only on weekends.

She wasn't.

A Florida widow lost more than $45,000 to a con who claimed to have led a SEAL unit in Vietnam. He didn't.

Although most imposters don't gain financially, they do get benefits such as access to people and events they wouldn't be privy to otherwise, said Tom Cottone, an FBI agent in New Jersey who has specialized in busting frauds for more than a decade.

"They're doing it to garner unearned respect and dignity based on their 'heroic' military exploits," Cottone said. "These people are literally stealing the valor of people who really did it, and they're taking advantage of the trust of the American people."

Cottone hopes the Stolen Valor Act becomes law.

"It will close some loopholes and send a message," Cottone said. "You will get charged. Don't do it."

Jason Cato can be reached at jcato@tribweb.com or 412-320-7840.

plc67

pilot
The aeronautical version of claiming something you didn't do that really irks me is pilots who pencil whip their logbooks to get to the head of the line in the hiring process. When I was involved in the hiring process, more than a few years ago, I kept alert for these types and managed to flag a few.
It's not as disgusting, I know, as claiming to be a MOH winner when you're not, but it's not a victimless scam either. If successful the BSer is in a cockpit that someone else, who is really qualified, should be sitting in.