• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

War College (JPME 2) as an O-4?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
Does anyone know if it's possible to go to War College (JPME 2) as an O-4 prior to department head tour? I know Joint Forces Staff College in Norfolk takes O-4s but I was looking at the National War College, Naval War College etc. because they offer Master's degrees if you're qualified. All the gouge from the websites say O5/O6 but I wanted to know if there were the occasional O4s...

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
Yes, O-4's have gone through Phase II. You have to have Phase I complete to be elligible.

So why it is possible, I don't think it's probable since your expiriencs are most likely better suited to Command and Staff in-residence program rather than Phase Ii.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is the goal JPME II or the Master's degree? I went through Air Command and Staff College and just received a degree. Does the NWC intermediate program offer that?

IRfly

None
Possible as an O-4 at Naval War College--one of my former Skippers did it. However, if I remember correctly, he was post-DH and one of two O-4s in a room of O-5/6s.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Is the goal JPME II or the Master's degree? I went through Air Command and Staff College and just received a degree. Does the NWC intermediate program offer that?

If you complete the JPME Phase I syllabus through Fleet Seminar and then take (at your own expense) 3 approved electives, then you can get a MA in National Security and Strategic Studies from NWC. You need to coordinate with NWC College of Distance Education (CDE) for doing this though.

Renegade One

None
Does anyone know if it's possible to go to War College (JPME 2) as an O-4 prior to department head tour? I know Joint Forces Staff College in Norfolk takes O-4s but I was looking at the National War College, Naval War College etc. because they offer Master's degrees if you're qualified. All the gouge from the websites say O5/O6 but I wanted to know if there were the occasional O4s...
I gather something's changed since my time. Then, all of the Service War Colleges, plus National and ICAF only offered JPME I qual. Then you had to go through AFSC (now renamed JFSC) for the Phase II qual. Are the other entities now giving Phase II quals as well?

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Possible as an O-4 at Naval War College--one of my former Skippers did it. However, if I remember correctly, he was post-DH and one of two O-4s in a room of O-5/6s.

Exactly same story wrt the CO of a sister squadron. Seems uncommon yet not unheard of. He also mentioned that he sometimes got the stink-eye from a few of his classmates.

If you complete the JPME Phase I syllabus through Fleet Seminar and then take (at your own expense) 3 approved electives, then you can get a MA in National Security and Strategic Studies from NWC. You need to coordinate with NWC College of Distance Education (CDE) for doing this though.
+1
This is an open secret and something that can be a good deal to a lot of people, but there seem to be few takers. NWC doesn't exactly hide this program, but I suspect a lot of COs aren't even aware it exists.
As for me, my out of pocket expense ended up being books only for those electives with zero additional service commitment (this may be appealing early in your career when you want to keep your options open). The "academic rigor" requires a commensurate study effort on nights and weekends, but the course material was sufficiently interesting to me to keep me motivated. My perspective is that I didn't have to take a year away from flying my ass off to go up to Newport* :)
Just sayin'...
*Of course, if you swing orders to any war college, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's some good gouge there. I guess I should have clarified, does being in-residence at NWC and taking the junior level (i.e., O-4) get you a Master's?

Finally, I also think it good to clarify that the equivalent of NWC for the Air Force is actually Air University. Air War College (a component of AWC) is only the O-5 level course. Air Command and Staff College is the O-4 level course. Therefore, even though we Navy guys typically say "Air War College" to be equal to NWC, it is really only equal to the one level of NWC.

robav8r

None
Contributor

Is this Navy only? What about the ACSC distance learning program through Maxwell AFB?

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
From a cursory search of Air University's website, I'd say that only the Online Master's Program will grant you an actual degree, and that is only available to USAF members. However, you can get up to 21 hours of graduate level credit by taking the distance learning program. Therefore, it seems to jive that taking additional electives from another school will get you a degree (from that other school), as long as the ACSC credits transfer.

Have you called them and asked?
334-953-7901

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Obviously well down the road for me at this point, but can you use TA or the new GI bill for this?

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
That's some good gouge there. I guess I should have clarified, does being in-residence at NWC and taking the junior level (i.e., O-4) get you a Master's?

Finally, I also think it good to clarify that the equivalent of NWC for the Air Force is actually Air University. Air War College (a component of AWC) is only the O-5 level course. Air Command and Staff College is the O-4 level course. Therefore, even though we Navy guys typically say "Air War College" to be equal to NWC, it is really only equal to the one level of NWC.

Going through either the Junior Class (Phase 1 / College of Naval Command and Staff) or the Senior Class (Phase 2 / College of Naval Warfare) get you the exact same degree.

The Air Force has two distinct schools (ACSC and AWC) at Montgomery but they are different. The Army has Command and Staff in Leavenworth and War College in Carlisle PA.
The Navy has both schools in the same building in Newport. The syllabus are different between the two schools, but the electives are common, so while you core courses (JMO, S&P and NSA) are Junior/Senior specific, in your elective you'll have folks from the other "school" sitting in with you.

In the Navy we will call the school in Newport the Naval War College. So even those folks who are going to the College of Naval Command and Staff (Phase 1/Junior Course) will say they are going to "War College" since it's all one school. However, when you are here, there are very distinct differences between the two schools.

Sky-Pig

Retired Cryptologic Warfare / Naval Flight Officer
None
I gather something's changed since my time. Then, all of the Service War Colleges, plus National and ICAF only offered JPME I qual. Then you had to go through AFSC (now renamed JFSC) for the Phase II qual. Are the other entities now giving Phase II quals as well?

ICAF (soon to be renamed the Eisenhower School) results in a Defense Resource-focused MA and JPME Phase II...not sure about the National War College side of the house.

helolumpy

pilot
Contributor
Command and Staff Colleges are Phase 1
War Colleges are Phase 2
I think JAWS conveys both Phase 1 & 2 but that may have changed in the last year.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Helolumpy, I think you and I are saying the same thing. Navy War College is the place, not the actual curriculum. Air University is the Air Force version of NWC with its distinct curricula.

My only point was that it is incorrect to call ACSC "Air War College" even though it is correct to call the College of Naval Command and Staff "Naval War College."