• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wanting to become a Naval Aviator, I have some questions

AndrewG

Hello all, I have a few questions about becoming a Naval Aviator. I want to fly the F/A-18 Hornet and I am wondering if there are any reasons why I would not be able to. I am 20 years old, I graduated high school in 2008 and have not started any college yet. My plan is to start college (hopefully by next semester) and make my way to OCS (not totally sure if that's even the best course of action for this). I would like to know what majors would be best to pursue for what I want to do. I understand a BA is required and my GPA should be at least a 3.5 if not better. Physically I am a little underweight (I'm 5'11@~135lb) but I am working hard to gain weight ASAP. I used to wear glasses, however I've just had my vision corrected to 20/15 2 weeks ago via IntraLASIK. My grades in high school were a little below average (GPA 2.6 if I remember correctly :/) as I didn't apply myself nor did I pay attention very well in my classes (I'm sure none of you have heard that one before). From the information I've provided, is there any reason that anyone could give me as to why I wouldn't be able to become a fighter pilot? I would like to know if my dream is even possible before I start school. If there is any other info you all would need, please ask and I will be happy to answer. :)

Thank you all for your time.

twobecrazy

RTB...
Contributor
First, I hope you realize you that it depends on how well you do in the military during primaries that dictates whether you will be able to fly jets. I have heard of some classes getting only helos or something else because its the needs of the Navy. You have to be done with school before and commissioned before your 27th birthday so depending how school goes you have to keep that in the back of your mind. I know you can get a waiver for Lasik but I don't know if you can be a pilot with it so someone else is going to have to answer that one or look it up on this site because I'm sure its been answered before. Your high school grades should have nothing to do with your application but you should do good in college. That being said you don't need a 3.5 because it is about a whole person concept not just a single factor. Try to get into volunteer work, sports, or anything that shows team/leadership abilities. If you need more information this website along with the usnavyocs.com website is a great source of information. Use the search engine on this site and others to find the more individual questions you have. Look into military college programs that would help by paying for school such as BDCP. There are quick link tabs on the forum home page and look at the paths to commissioning, ASTB, and any other tabs because many of the questions you have could be answered from previous posts. Good Luck!

Boomhower

Shoot, man, it's that dang ol' internet
None
Andrew, best of luck on reaching your goal. Don't get too wrapped around the axle about what major to choose. While technical majors (Engineering, certain sciences, etc) do look pretty good on an application they are not the end-all be-all. They would rather have a guy that does well majoring in Basket Weaving than a guy that has a "D" average in Electrical Engineering. Bottom line, pick a major that you will do well in and that you enjoy. The Navy is getting really picky about who they take these days, so you'll want a backup plan.

I went to Texas Tech and majored in Petroleum Land Management and still got into aviation, if that tells you anything. However, it was a different time when I went through the recruiting process. The services were begging for people then. Not so much, these days.

I see that you are fom my neck of the woods. Where are you planning on going to school?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think maybe you're not looking at priorities the right way. You're not even in college, and you're asking about becoming a Hornet pilot?

There's a lot of steps between you and VFA-land, all of which matter a hell of a lot more than what you've done so far. You're on Step 1.
1. Get into college
2. Graduate college
3. Apply for OCS
4. Get accepted for OCS
5. Finish OCS
6. Get through API and Primary with jet grades
7. Finish Advanced with a decent NSS and don't DQ at the Boat.
In that order. Then you can worry about becoming a Hornet guy.

P3 F0

None
Even if the Waiver Guide gives you bad news (which is the gist I was getting when I read it), I wouldn't let that get me down. Things may change in the next four years. I'd also recommend looking into NROTC if that's available to you, but you'd have to decide at some point along the way if you want to join to serve, or join to fly, bounce that off the current LASIK policy, and make a decision. If you're serious about joining to serve (which is not the gist I got), there are lots of things you can do in the Navy that won't care (AFAIK) about the LASIK.

Phoenix1

Why OCS and all the craziness of getting rec, then accepted, then getting through actual OCS, and all that other stuff? Skip all that stuff and go ROTC. Put in a little time here and there during college and graduate a commissioned officer. Not only no OCS then, but no crazy boards to be accepted by and multiple screening points. Pick up scholarship and the Navy will pay for everything except room and board (but you will get stipend, couple hundred $$ a month) or go college program if you dont get the scholarship. In which case you are reviewed after sophomore year and as long as you pass that review, you are going to commission upon graduation. Best deal out there. Sure there are some pretty lucrative deals with BDCP and getting E5 pay and some other weird stuff out there to get you a commission, but if you want minimum number of eyes on your file and least number of boards to review your package, ROTC is the way to go. And shop around the schools for ROTC, some schools you have 1 hour per week commitment to the program, some schools you have 6-7 hrs per week of commitment. All depends on how often the unit PT's, holds Drill, etc. See what different units at different schools do and pick a school based on major and based on NROTC unit. Plus at an ROTC unit, you develop such good relationships with your LT's and Unit staff that when it comes time for designator selection, you have 5-6 ranked officers all writing letters and genuinely pulling for you as opposed to your recruiter or whoever else in the OCS/BDCP pipeline who just look at you as another number. Your ROTC officers will fight to the death for you to get you what you want in the fleet. It really is a good deal.

OnTopTime

ROBO TACCO
None
Why OCS and all the craziness of getting rec, then accepted, then getting through actual OCS, and all that other stuff? Skip all that stuff and go ROTC. Put in a little time here and there during college and graduate a commissioned officer. Not only no OCS then, but no crazy boards to be accepted by and multiple screening points. Pick up scholarship and the Navy will pay for everything except room and board (but you will get stipend, couple hundred $$ a month) or go college program if you dont get the scholarship. In which case you are reviewed after sophomore year and as long as you pass that review, you are going to commission upon graduation. Best deal out there. Sure there are some pretty lucrative deals with BDCP and getting E5 pay and some other weird stuff out there to get you a commission, but if you want minimum number of eyes on your file and least number of boards to review your package, ROTC is the way to go. And shop around the schools for ROTC, some schools you have 1 hour per week commitment to the program, some schools you have 6-7 hrs per week of commitment. All depends on how often the unit PT's, holds Drill, etc. See what different units at different schools do and pick a school based on major and based on NROTC unit. Plus at an ROTC unit, you develop such good relationships with your LT's and Unit staff that when it comes time for designator selection, you have 5-6 ranked officers all writing letters and genuinely pulling for you as opposed to your recruiter or whoever else in the OCS/BDCP pipeline who just look at you as another number. Your ROTC officers will fight to the death for you to get you what you want in the fleet. It really is a good deal.

Can you go into ROTC knowing that upon successful completion you will go to flight school? No

Can you go into OCS knowing that upon successful completion you will go to flight school? Yes

Plus, last I heard, you have to apply for an ROTC spot just like you have to apply for an OCS spot (not saying the application process is the same).

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Here's some advice, don't suck and gain some weight...5'11" and 135lbs!!! That is weak dick!!! Maybe I'm just jealous as I'm 6' and 220lbs!!