• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wanted AW, let them convince me to go Nuke, now what can I do about it?

H60Gunner

Contributor
Reading my original response. I should iterate that it is much more desirable for you, if you can, to go to college BEFORE joining the Navy. It will open up many more opportunities for you.

Flugelman

Contributor
You can still change your rate. In fact, as a prior AW I highly reccomend it. The recruiter is pushing you to nuke because you probably did well on the ASVAB and it is a hard to fill enlisted spot (at least when I was enlisting) I had the same thing, was offered the $60K...As you can see I'm rather enjoying not being stuck in a closed off room without windows...Do what you want to do, not what your recruiter or your dad wants to do. If you want to be a CS, be one, just remember it is MUCH easier to change rates now than when you report to Great Lakes...
Pickle

Hmmm, I didn't think the toob rats had winders back there.... :confused: :D
Well, wayyyy back there.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
Consider that while many people have gone from enlisted nukes to Pilot, sometimes if you are picked up for STA-21 the navy will make you go back into the nuke pipeline.

SOOO not true.. your not even ALLOWED to apply for nuke STA-21 unlesss your are either a student or a staff instructor at one of the schools in the training pipeline.

I applied to STA-21 while the Nuke recruiter for NRD Jax with a Nuke CO. I wasn't even allowed to put Nuke anywhere on my application.

look here for more info: " Enlisted Source: Due to the high priority of nuclear officer recruiting, a specific number of STA-21 seats are reserved for enlisted personnel who have successfully completed or are enrolled in the nuclear power training pipeline. The only applicants eligible to apply for this option are those who are currently:

1. enrolled in Naval Nuclear Power School (NAVNUPWRSCOL) or Naval Nuclear Power Training Unit (NAVNUPWRTRAU); or
2. assigned to NAVNUPWRTRAU as staff pickup instructors or sea returnee instructors.

https://www.sta-21.navy.mil/options.html#nuclear

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
I think I see what you are saying. My ROTC unit had several nukes, many of them with sea time, and many of them wanted Core. Most of the Nukes at UNM were in the training pipeline or were staff pickups who wanted Core but the Navy made them stick with Nuke.

You are saying that if the individual is at a boat they can not apply for Nuke?

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
You are saying that if the individual is at a boat they can not apply for Nuke?

Yup. If you're planning on going the STA-21 route that is. Of course you can always go finish your bachelor's and apply for NUKE via OCS.