• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wanted AW, let them convince me to go Nuke, now what can I do about it?

MCraider09

ok well i hope i put this in the right section but here goes.... i'm in dep i originally signed as an AW but my recruiters talked me into going nuke. so i did . and my dad is a retired am cpo. so he's been callin me chuck, and shoe, and snipe all the time. so what i'd like to know it would it be possibel to gwet out of the nuke thing or am i stuck in it now??lol
any input would be appreciated
thanks
-chris

but na its not the name callin thing. he just says airdales have it much better and all

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Are you basing your career choices on the potential for being called bad nicknames?

Call him a wing-wiper or something and flip him off while you drive away in your Porsche you bought with your ridiculously overpaid nuke bonus.

Or, consider the merits of each career choice based simply on what the job entails and make your decision based on what you would rather do...either way...

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
As a prior nuke, I'd say the job "has its challenges, but also it's rewards"

as a prior Nuke recruiter, I'd say, "NO YOU CAN'T CHANGE YOUR JOB!!!" ;) but, in all honesty, you can. weigh your options.. Bonus, E-3, then E-4, then add on 2 more years and get E-5 and another fat bonus ($45k), special duty pay, advanced training in something only people dream about. (This is the recruiter talking)

On the other hand, long hours. Sometimes, well a lot of the time, arduous duty. First on the ship, last one off. The term "f***ing Nuke."

One last thing to consider, I wouldn't be where I am now if it weren't for being a nuke.

Good luck in your decision.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
You can still change your rate. In fact, as a prior AW I highly reccomend it. The recruiter is pushing you to nuke because you probably did well on the ASVAB and it is a hard to fill enlisted spot (at least when I was enlisting) I had the same thing, was offered the $60K...As you can see I'm rather enjoying not being stuck in a closed off room without windows...Do what you want to do, not what your recruiter or your dad wants to do. If you want to be a CS, be one, just remember it is MUCH easier to change rates now than when you report to Great Lakes...
Pickle

H60Gunner

Contributor
I'm a retarded, er I mean, a retired AW.

No you're not stuck, you can change rates at this point. What nuc rate did your recruiter tell you you can have? EM/ET or MM? The sign on bonus for nuc ET as of a year ago is 18k and the re-enlistment bonus is 90k for 6yrs. Provided you end up as a RO (Reactor Operator) ET. You obviously scored very high on your ASVAB.

Do what you want, I have no experience operating a reactor but I work with some fellers who have. MM's say it sucks, ET's say it's cool

AW rate is a blast. Respected, professional, ball-bustin' blast!

Think about going to college first then joining the Navy. Recruiter will tell you some BS about all the college credits you will earn as a nuc, or even as an AW. And he/she will be right to a point. Allot of enlisted folks these days have college degrees, but it takes more than 4yrs to obtain, even with all the credits earned in nuc or AW schools.

PM me if you want more info.

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
ok well i hope i put this in the right section but here goes.... i'm in dep i originally signed as an AW but my recruiters talked me into going nuke. so i did . and my dad is a retired am cpo. so he's been callin me chuck, and shoe, and snipe all the time. so what i'd like to know it would it be possibel to gwet out of the nuke thing or am i stuck in it now??lol
any input would be appreciated
thanks
-chris

but na its not the name callin thing. he just says airdales have it much better and all

Have you been drinking the local lemonade? I just thought it was amazing that I could be drunk and type better. :eek:

Either way, relax a little, sip some of that yummyness and realize that the Navy exists for the magnificent (wo)men and their flying machines...ew...I may get neg. rep for that from Wilkins...:icon_smil

Bevo16

pilot
I flunked out of nuke school in 1997. 10 years later, I was a LT in a helo squadron and the aircrew division officer. I know a little bit about the jobs.

Be an AW. The life is better. The job is better. You will have a LOT more fun. It's not even close.

H60Gunner

Contributor
I flunked out of nuke school in 1997. 10 years later, I was a LT in a helo squadron and the aircrew division officer. I know a little bit about the jobs.

Be an AW. The life is better. The Chicks are better. You will have a LOT more fun. It's not even close.

Fixed it for you.

Bevo16

pilot
There is that too.

The girls in P-Cola, Corpus, and So-Cal were much better than the pasty whales up in Groton.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The girls in P-Cola, Corpus, and So-Cal were much better than the pasty whales up in Groton.

...and if you've ever seen the ladies of P'cola and CC, you know that's saying a LOT (and none of it good) about Connecticut wimmins. :icon_tong

Seriously, though. The recruiter is going to try everything to get you into that Nuke rate. It's hard to find guys who are qualified. Do what you want to do and what you find interesting.

Nukes make some very ample kwan, and if you make it as an OR Nuke, you will have no trouble finding very well-paid work in Civvieland once you get out, too. You'll be working with very smart people. It's also very long hours in the bowels of the Boat (or on a Sub), and that's assuming you get through Nuke school. There's a reason Nukes get paid so well.

MCraider09

yeah ive had to much of the local product.lol but yeah aviation is what i wanna do they just keep pushin that down the road crap about how much better off youll be. but yeah and i aint much of the math and science kind. im ok at it just dont like it. but yall are alot of help. thanks. and i didnt mean that in a sarcastic way.lol

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
Do you intend to apply for officer programs later down the road?

If you do, do you know which ones you intend to apply for (USNA, STA-21)?

Consider that while many people have gone from enlisted nukes to Pilot, sometimes if you are picked up for STA-21 the navy will make you go back into the nuke pipeline. If you go into another rate (AW) for instance it might be easier to get into Core or Aviation. IF you intend to try and be a pilot down the road you might want to consider your path to getting there. If not well then you have little to worry about.