• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to retake the OAR, OR very nervous

KNSnowy

Hi everybody,

Just talked to my OR (who is great) about retaking the OAR after 31 days. He strongly advised me not to because he's scared I'll make a much worse score the 2nd go-around.

I asked if there were any other concerns with my retaking it and my application being submitted on time, and he didn't give any.

So I just wanted to double-check with you guys:

1. My OR says his deadline for submitting my pack is Dec 23 (or really Dec 19 because of people going on leave). If I take the OAR Dec. 16, we could theoretically submit my whole application on the 16th or 17th, is that correct? Are there any parts of the application that I have to wait until after my test results to do?

2. I'm applying for the INTEL board in February and my OR says there's another board in April. Is it strategically better to be part of that Feb. board since it's earlier in the year? Is it "bad" to submit so close to that board's December due date?

I made a 53 on the OAR today - felt very good about the Reading and Mechanical sections but I botched up the Math by not paying attention to time, left 5-10 questions completely blank...I'm confident I can score better, but the last-minute deadline does make me a little nervous.

Thanks for your opinions, guys.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I made a 53 on the OAR today - felt very good about the Reading and Mechanical sections but I botched up the Math by not paying attention to time, left 5-10 questions completely blank...I'm confident I can score better, but the last-minute deadline does make me a little nervous..
A 53 OAR is a respectable score for most apps, but for INTEL which is extremely competitive, a 60+ could let you breathe easier. You have indicated awareness of your problem area in the first test. You also indicated confidence that you could improve in that area. With proper study in the weak area, you should increase your score significantly. :)

It your choice, not your ORs. If you are confident, I'd say go for it!:)
BzB

exNavyOffRec

I have had a person picked up IW with an OAR in the low 40's, I have seen an Intel person at my NRD that had a 48 or 49? so I wouldn't be concerned about the OAR as much as you are going for Intel with a degree that is not listed as "preferred"

Renegade One

None
Don't be nervous…you are who you are. If you think you can do better…knowing, I hope, that you'll probably get a very different version of the test…go for it. If you're uncomfortable, play the cards you have.

You are sweating WAAY too many things…gaming submission dates, personnel leave periods, etc.

KNSnowy

Thanks for weighing in, gentlemen! :)

I'm definitely retaking it. I just wanted to make sure there weren't logistical hiccups I didn't know about with it so close to the deadline. I could be amazingly happy as a SWO in 2 years, but I'd still look back and wonder what would have happened.

My OR is very supportive both ways and even said it's "not much work for him," so I've lucked out there.

NavyOffRec, you're completely right, but I can't do anything about the degrees so why worry! :D