• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to hear about personal experiences

aea090394

Hey guys,

I've been meeting with recruiters and haven't sworn in yet (I've been waiting for my LASIK paperwork to be approved first). I received an 82 on the ASVAB and am taking the ASTB in a couple weeks. I'm really just looking to hear about what some of your personal experiences have been like being apart of the Navy and what you wish you would have known going in (good and bad)? I don't really have any expectations going in. My main motivation in joining is trying to better learn who I am, and gaining personal experiences and training that wouldn't otherwise be available.

I'm 25F and graduating from college with my BA in Organizational Leadership here in August. I don't have anything tying me down, no relationship or kids, and I do want that one day, but I also don't want to pass this opportunity up and regret it later on down the line.

Any input or personal experience stories would be great!

Thanks,
Liz

FinkUFreaky

pilot
Are you planning on enlisting or OCS? ASVAB is only important if enlisting; ASTB is if you're considering aviation (be sure you are talking to an Officer Recruiter, not walking into one of the joints at the local mall).

aea090394

Are you planning on enlisting or OCS? ASVAB is only important if enlisting; ASTB is if you're considering aviation (be sure you are talking to an Officer Recruiter, not walking into one of the joints at the local mall).
Hey @FinkUFreaky , I'm working on dual entry right now. If I don't get a good enough score on my ASTB, then I'm hoping to get into Cryptology on the Enlisted side. What did you end up doing?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again
Hi there, there already a ton of “life of” posts and theads out there.

The “stupid questions about naval aviation” and “stupid questions about OCS” threads are solid starts.

Long story short: dig around, your question has been asked regularly here.

aea090394

Hi there, there already a ton of “life of” posts and theads out there.

The “stupid questions about naval aviation” and “stupid questions about OCS” threads are solid starts.

Long story short: dig around, your question has been asked regularly here.
Thanks! I’m new to this site, so I appreciate the feedback and suggestion!

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
Hey @FinkUFreaky , I'm working on dual entry right now. If I don't get a good enough score on my ASTB, then I'm hoping to get into Cryptology on the Enlisted side. What did you end up doing?
I don't know what dual entry is but I wish this wasn't a thing. If you have or will have a 4 year degree, and are eligible to be an officer, then I wish enlisted recruiters weren't allowed to work with you. Not at least until you've exhausted all options as an officer. Be very careful with your enlisted recruiters and what they promise you wrt enlisted - officer paths. And if you don't make it in aviation there are several other paths to take as an officer in the Navy.

AllYourBass

I'm okay with the events unfolding currently
pilot
I joined for similar reasons you expressed above and, similarly, compared the enlisted and officer routes.

My strongest recommendation: Don't talk to any enlisted recruiters from here on out. Continue working with and exploring your options through an officer recruiter.

exNavyOffRec

I don't know what dual entry is but I wish this wasn't a thing. If you have or will have a 4 year degree, and are eligible to be an officer, then I wish enlisted recruiters weren't allowed to work with you. Not at least until you've exhausted all options as an officer. Be very careful with your enlisted recruiters and what they promise you wrt enlisted - officer paths. And if you don't make it in aviation there are several other paths to take as an officer in the Navy.

As someone who was an enlisted recruiter and later on officer recruiting this is very good advice.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
also I find the title of your thread mildly misleading, when I read the title I thought I was going to talk about that one time I went to Thailand. ?
You must have been a very dedicated recruiter!

:p

cinnamon

also I find the title of your thread mildly misleading, when I read the title I thought I was going to talk about that one time I went to Thailand. ?
Same. I was ready to pour my heart out.

@aea090394 Take the above advice and run with it. I was also interested in an officer route since I was 17. Long story short, I talked to a recruiter and enlisted. Fast forward 9 years later and I am finally getting ready to go to OCS. ?

aea090394

Thank you guys for all the real talk about the officer/enlisted side. I have been working with an Enlisted recruiter for 5 months now, and never heard about OCS until a few weeks ago and realized that I qualify for it and it's much better quality pay and lifestyle.
The Enlisted Recruiter I've been working with told me that Officers aren't as respected as Enlisted because they don't get their hands dirty. It rubbed me the wrong way, because I know that officers have worked hard to get where they are too. Especially how much studying and testing has gone into getting my degree, I just don't want to go into this with an ignorant mindset. The officer recruiter recommended this web page.

aea090394

Same. I was ready to pour my heart out.

@aea090394 Take the above advice and run with it. I was also interested in an officer route since I was 17. Long story short, I talked to a recruiter and enlisted. Fast forward 9 years later and I am finally getting ready to go to OCS. ?
Hey now lol, y'all can tell me your Thailand stories! I came here for experiences and feedback, but thought that title would have been too long.