• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to fly USMC, but need waiver (loonnnggg story with OSO and MEPS)

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Whoa!

I don't think they will take his commission but I'd go far enough where Field Grade is out of the question for him.

Wow, a high school kid with a recommendation that a Marine Captain have his commission revoked, or be passed over for promotion!!! I'm stunned...
Ho Hum, shoveling poopies a'gin the tide.:sleep_125
My $.02 BzB

BINGO

Hey Guys,

Thanks to everyone for the encouraging words. Your advice has been helpful and informative.

I'm moving through my major pretty quickly and am still planning on applying through another OSO and need some ideas on how to do that.

I have some ideal OSO's in mind, but have some questions:

1. What would be the best way to approach the head of another office without bringing up the situation with my local OSO?

2. MEPS supposedly requires a new physical after 2 years of each applicant. I'm still within that time frame and figure that any other OSO will have obvious access to my records. What should I say about this?

3. BUMED has my records. How long are they there for? Do they also get thrown out every 2 years like MEPS, or do they stay concrete? The gentlemen I spoke with said he'd type up a notice for a waiver when my NEXT recruiter sends him my LOR's from Doctors.

4. If I apply through a OSO out of state will I need to travel to that office for paper work? PFT? etc

5. Any other tips?

The very last time I spoke with the first Captain of my local OSO he told me to go through another OSO, say nothing about my experience with PHX, do my MEPS again, keep my mouth shut and hope I slip through the cracks. As you can tell, that's not a good idea and I won't be doing that. I currently have two strong letters that should help once delivered from a recruiter to BUMED. I just wanna have a plan and stick to it. If it doesn't work out, I gave it my last best shot.

Thank you all for the productive help.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Haven't you heard dude? No more SNA slots for FY2010...

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think you should keep going with your application process. Don't stop because, you obviously have the drive to make it. Also, don't let this incident go, this Marine Captain, is a Commissioned Officer and represents the leeadership of the Marine Corps, he should've acted in a more tactful manner when dealing with you. I would ride this thing home if I was you. I don't think they will take his commission but I'd go far enough where Field Grade is out of the question for him.

Last edited by SGIRGISS1214; 09-17-2009 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Punctuation and spelling

Well, you're still not there yet with your punctuation and spelling (Leadership doesn't have double "e" and you've used commas when you ought to be using periods), but moreover, a MCJROTC Cadet is hardly in a position to make determinations as to what should occur to a commissioned officer, period (especially when you've only heard one side of the story and it's your first post). Your focus should be getting through High School and into College and then into a commissioning program rather than making assertions way over your head.

b0pric01

pilot
Wow, I just got done reading this doozie of a thread, sucks to be you, guy. I had to go through some waivers for past drug use, but I was honest from the start with everything. My OSO told me to be honest, but that was after I already told him I had used drugs when I was younger, and seems to be a pretty stand up guy. Did you even get a chance to take the ASTB?