• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Want to be an officer

rober864

I am a Senior in Civil Engineering at the University of Minnesota. I will be graduating in May and for as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a Naval Officer.

I was a student athlete in college (Division 1 swimming) which pretty much made NROTC out of the question. I was on two National Championship swim teams and swam on the United State Swimming National Team and was a finalist at the Olympic Trials in 2008. I was the captain of my team in high school. I'm grateful for my athletic background because it kept me in school, kept my head screwed on right, and kept me out of trouble.

My GPA isn't the highest (2.6). My number one choice program in the Navy would the CEC, but really I would be passionate about and would love to do just about anything else (SWO, Supply, ED, etc.)

I feel that one of my strong points besides my extracurricular activities are my communication skills (something a lot of engineers don't know the first thing about) and despite what my GPA says, I am a hard worker. Sometimes, managing more than 20 hours of practice a week along with a demanding academic load at a relatively prestigious university can be a lot. I think this is part of the reason my GPA isn't quite as high, but I am certainly not making excuses, I know that I could have done a better job.

I have quite a few good references, some of them retired commanders and lieutenant commanders who have known me since I was about 12 years old. I also have a US Ambassador as one of my references.

What do you guys think? What are my chances of getting into a Navy Officer Program? I'm very passionate and want this opportunity more than anything that the private sector could provide.

How do my chances of getting into different programs vary from one to another? Civil Engineering Corps? Engineering Duty? Supply? Surface Warfare? Is NUPOC a complete stretch considering my GPA?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
We don't do "chances questions". Call the Officer Recruiter and find out from the horse's mouth what communities are looking for relative to your GPA. CEC folks are always looking for Civil Engineers so you might be positioned well, but you have to get engaged with the people who will walk you through the steps.

rober864

Thanks. I have been talking to a recruiter. I guess I wrote that question in the wrong words. I am just looking for an idea of how competitive the programs are with respect to one another. I have my commission application all filled out and ready to send in, I'm just trying to decide exactly which programs I want to list on the application.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks. I have been talking to a recruiter. I guess I wrote that question in the wrong words. I am just looking for an idea of how competitive the programs are with respect to one another. I have my commission application all filled out and ready to send in, I'm just trying to decide exactly which programs I want to list on the application.

Overall, every community is getting more competitive because of the economy, which results even more people trying to get in with better resumes and more experience on top of less people getting out. Again, the OR is more way more up to speed on how competitive the boards are....remember, Navy wants a "whole person" so lower GPA with lots of other activities demonstrating leadership and letters of recommendation backing that up mean more than a high GPA from someone who only studied and never interacted with the world outside the classroom.