• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waivers, white lies, or a different career path?

Jestersdead

Banned
I've always wanted to fly, and the military always has had the nicest airplanes. I lost sight of that in high school, due to drugs I've changed my life, and now i fear that irreparable damage was done. I talked to the nice air force recruiter and decided to give him a nice low number with a modest substance when he asked me about chemical abuse. I went with marijuana, 50 times. he was kind, offered me the number for the reserves and showed me the door. I then turned to the national guard because they said they needed Apache pilots. I was filling out their horrifically long questionnaire, and it asked multiple times if i had ever been dependent on drugs or alcohol, or if i had ever been in a rehabilitation center for either. I got scared and did not finish. I have been clean now for two and a half years. i guess my question is how much should i tell them? should i flat lie? will the be able to check and see i was in rehab or pull an arrest record that never lead to any charges? do they check medical records? I acquired hep c before i got clean, should i tell them it's from rough sex, a bad blood transfusion in another country, or just not mention it at all? I don't think they write waivers for what i was getting into. any advise is greatly appreciated.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Jesus, man. Look, I don't want to burst your bubble here, but there's not a lot of hope for you to get accepted. People with sterling records are getting rejected. Your best, and perhaps only, hope is to enlist(which will still take a waiver), maybe with a contract to be an aircrewman, and maybe after some solid years performing in the military you might be able to overcome this.

Congrats on getting clean. I hope you stay with that. However, I'm sure you've accepted that such actions have consequences.

Whatever you do, DO NOT LIE ABOUT THIS. It will catch up with you.

Jestersdead

Banned
thanks phrog, not what i wanted to hear, but i know it's the truth. thanks for the feedback. are you calling me a troll?

NUFO06

None
The most important thing is that you are clean. That to me is no small accomplishment, so Congratulations. With the military getting smaller every year they are accepting less and less waivers. If you have your heart set on it, then you will never know unless you try. To echo Phrogdriver dont lie on the application, many things can be forgivin and mitigated with time but lying will make them think you have a unacceptable character flaw. If you want to fly the military is not the only option, lots of helicopter schools in FLA.

Jestersdead

Banned
Thanks NU, I'm in A&P school now to hopefully pay for flying, and i wouldn't quit that for the military, but someday it would be pretty nice to fly some of those jets or helicopters, civilians just can't get their hands on that

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
There's not going to be a fourth.
banhammer_forecast1.gif