• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waivers Denied, Now What?

donnyglaze

So I submitted a waiver for PRK and for a shoulder dislocation that happened over 6 years ago. Both were denied today :icon_rage. I was told by my OSO that I need more documents to send to the doctor to get them approved; what else do I need to send? I send the pre-op and post-op for the PRK, and I also sent copies of my original MRI, an X Ray from 2 months ago and a consult from the MEPS Ortho. I really have no idea why I was denied, I am 20/12 now a year after the PRK, and I haven't had any shoulder problems in 6 years.

Who can I call to see what else they want/need? I'd rather cut out all the middle men of myself and my OSO and just have the information go doctor to doctor directly. Any ideas?

UMichfly

pilot
None
The NAMI waiver guide is going to be your moneymaker. I can't speak to the shoulder surgery waiver but as far as your PRK waiver, there is a specific form that you do and a specific procedure you follow to get waived. You'll probably have to be examined by a military opthamologist but that's probably a no-brainer if you're putting together a package. Bottom line...follow this link http://www.nomi.med.navy.mil/NAMI/WaiverGuideTopics/index.htm.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
PRK: NFC, it sounds like you should be fine... don't take no for an anwer, stay on 'em!

SHOULDER: OK, you need to prove to a Navy doc that your shoulder is asymptomatic (i.e. "stable") Get ALL medical records you can concerning your injury and show 'em to NAMI, and make them take a look at you. Since you had the surgery, you should be fully waiverable. I know a LOT about this, having been there once myself- PM me with questions and I'll give you the skinny.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
I was temporarily NPQ for final select because a blood test I submitted to prove I was asymptomatic of disease I had when I was 5 was too old.

Easy solution: I went and got a CBC (blood test) that same day, resubmitted and a week or two later got final select.

It isn't the end-all, be-all. Just get more docs and KILL them with paperwork! Eventually they will say yes.

2ndGen

Third times a charm
I had reconstructive surgery on my shoulder and got cleared by the board of Naval Medicine.

I gave them my surgery report, EVERY piece of paper that my doc had on EVERY single visit I had regarding my shoulder. Then I went back and got a check out with the very same docter that did the surgery.

Good luck

2ndgen

FLY_USMC

pilot
I'll tell you what to do, apply to the Marines.

The Navy told me I was too tall to fly.....2 days later I got accepted by the Marines....and I had my first flight in the Hornet today.

Not a hater, but the Navy can be frucking retarded at times.

donnyglaze

Thanks for all the help guys. I saw the MEPS ortho and he said everything was perfect, I didn't even need surgery on the shoulder.

And I am applying to be a Marine! I guess I'll go up to my PRK surgeon and have him do a little write up. Thanks again guys.

buzni

Getting PRK and then not getting the waiver is a fear of mine.

What NOMI forms specifically are we talking about? I saw the PRK AMS template but that looks like it is for guys who are already in the Navy.

I don't understand what you can do to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
buzni,

At some point on the waiver guid llink will be a phone number to NAMI; it is in the lower right hand corner of the wavier guide page. Call them and ask if that template is ok for you to use.