• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver Timeline

So I had labrum surgery on each of my shoulders about 4.5 years ago during my junior year of high school football. Both were repaired with minimal scaring, and since then I have played 1 more year of high school, and two more years of college football with no problems whatsoever. There is no metal in my shoulders and I have provided my recruiter with all available paperwork of the surgeries directly from my orthopedic surgeon, including a June 2015 evaluation letter from the surgeon saying my shoulders are based on his prognosis, 100% physically okay to be in the military. This info was sent to MEPS and they said I needed waivers for my shoulders, so now my medicals are in Tennessee being reviewed for these waivers to be signed.

So I guess my questions are:

Has anyone had a similar injury to this that can has any advice or info?

Can I be DQ'd for my shoulders even with no post-op problems and full range of motion and strength?

How long does the waiver process usually take to be accepted or denied?

If denied, is there an appeal process?

Sorry for the excessive curiousity, I'm just nervous about being DQ'd and want to gather as much info as I can.

Willy W

Kyle,

Had a similar injury playing football in high school and college. Mine was a dislocation with no tear the first time then a dislocation with a labrum tear the second time. I was lucky (depending on how you look at it) not to require surgery but just did PT to regain full strength and range of motion. I was originally NPQ'd as well but submitted a wavier from my orthopedic doc and it was approved about a month later. Got to OCS a few months later as a pilot designator and was NPQ'd from NAMI 3 days before commissioning. I was given recommendation from the flight surgeon in Newport and he thought my wavier would be approved by NAMI but it wasn't. I was also told by multiple sources since I had documentation, full strength, and full ROM I would be fine but that was not the case. I warn be cautious about it, it's not impossible I've seen people with worse injuries get through NAMI and that you had the surgery that might help. Timing plays a factor too you might have that one doc on the medical review board that says yes one week but the next then they change out with another doc who would give you a thumbs down looking at the same medical records. It unfortunately sucks but happens case in point.

Hope this helps.

Will

Kyle,

Had a similar injury playing football in high school and college. Mine was a dislocation with no tear the first time then a dislocation with a labrum tear the second time. I was lucky (depending on how you look at it) not to require surgery but just did PT to regain full strength and range of motion. I was originally NPQ'd as well but submitted a wavier from my orthopedic doc and it was approved about a month later. Got to OCS a few months later as a pilot designator and was NPQ'd from NAMI 3 days before commissioning. I was given recommendation from the flight surgeon in Newport and he thought my wavier would be approved by NAMI but it wasn't. I was also told by multiple sources since I had documentation, full strength, and full ROM I would be fine but that was not the case. I warn be cautious about it, it's not impossible I've seen people with worse injuries get through NAMI and that you had the surgery that might help. Timing plays a factor too you might have that one doc on the medical review board that says yes one week but the next then they change out with another doc who would give you a thumbs down looking at the same medical records. It unfortunately sucks but happens case in point.

Hope this helps.

Will

For some reason I just now saw this.. Thank you! So since you didn't get cleared for your shoulder, what designator did you end up with?