• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver Possibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
Hello, I ask my following question know that in the Corps. most anything is "waiverble." Or so am told by Career Planners, etc., etc.

Currently a Corporal with the MOS Machinegunner on Active Duty. A year ago in the beginning months of OIF 2 my Battalion was participating in a week long Martial Arts Package. On the final dad during Pugil Sticks I got cocky and in turn snapped and "compacted" my right shoulder.

I was sent back to CONUS for treatment and the Docs refused to operate on the bone(s). With my clavicle sticking in inch and a hald out of my shoulder I am unable to shoot the M240 on ranges. Anything else I can do... especially when under fire. Something the Docs at the Naval Hospital do not understand.

I had intended on pursuing MECEP (Air) at the recommendation of my first Platoon Commander from back in the day but it appears that the combination of my Docs and the Regimental MO covering their backsides is possibly going to result in a Medical Discharge.

Now, refering to my opening sentence. Many of you have experience with OSOs or possibly have been OSOs. Provided I am succeeding in school and am able to post and inpressive PFT (get back to a 1st Class) does this sound as like "Waiverable" situation in your opinion? I know the opinion could and would differ from OSO to OSO but I am looking for a base of knowledge to try and base my education goals on. Should it be a possible I would like to try for PLC-Air should the worst come to worse. The chance of PLC will decide my college plans.

I thank those in advance who are able to offer any assistance.

Cpl. G
5th Marines

Taxman2A

War were declared.
I've never been an OSO, but I wrote the book on getting waivers... At one time I held the record by the 4th Marine Corps Recruiting District for most rejected physical waivers without giving up (or so a Major told me). I was told I wouldn't get in, and I've been a lieutenant for year and 8 months now.

If you do officially get discharged from the Marine Corps for medical reasons, it will be an uphill battle to get back in as an Officer, but it won't be impossible. All you have to do is think in logical terms, and get very good and strong letters from doctors saying that you are good to go. Doctors tend to like to cover their asses by not writing absolute statements like "This patient will never be bothered from this injury again", but they need to write like that to get you a waiver. You need to read letters of recommendation that doctors write on your behalf, and you need to have the moxy to go back to the doctor and say that the letter isn't strongly worded enough. Of course you should be tactful, I wouldn't imagine a grunt corporal would have a problem with this, but you never know.

Doctors like to write stuff like "To the best of my knowledge this patient will have very good mobility and should be able accomplish most physical tasks".. A medical board will rip that apart. Don't waste your time submitting weak letters. Just explain the situation and most doctors will understand... If I would have understood this part of the game I would have gotten in to PLC earlier.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
We had a Gunny who had been discharged medically as a PFC then did physical therapy as a civilian and came right back in one of the strongest(by any measure) SNCOs I have had the privilige to sere with so anyhting is possible

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
Great, while you have reiterated what I knew would be an uphill battle... you have at least given me valid examples of Marines who have received MEDICAL Discharges and have been allowed to return. I was worried that the "reenlistment code" that would come with such a discharge.

Taxman I know what you are talking about. When I enlisted I made the mistake of disclosing an asthma attack that had happened a decade earlier. I was rejected three times before I was allowed to join. Even with my strong background in athletics and letters from the police department I had done work for I was still rejected. Finally I called a head Doc at BeuMed and verbally convinced him to approve my waiver request personally. Thus, I was in. Took seven months but worth it.

I can only imagine this situation would be twice as difficult, but I think having been in long enough to pick up NCO I would think that I would be better off than before now that I know how the system works and how to work it. Figure I can see Docs (MULTIPLE DOCS), letters of recommendation from prior Platoon Commanders and MAYBE call and meet a Senator or two. One of which I believe just so happens to be on the Armed Services Committee.

At least now I have some hope. Instead of having to stick out the remaining year of my contract in a Pogue situation when I could be in school accomplishing something.

One question, seeing as how this process will take time, and understatement for the fight I will have. At what point is the cut off for aviation? I know it is 27 and a half. But does that mean Commissioned by that age, in flight school, or Winging by that age?

Cpl. G

Taxman2A

War were declared.
ZGXtreme said:
At least now I have some hope. Instead of having to stick out the remaining year of my contract in a Pogue situation when I could be in school accomplishing something.

One question, seeing as how this process will take time, and understatement for the fight I will have. At what point is the cut off for aviation? I know it is 27 and a half. But does that mean Commissioned by that age, in flight school, or Winging by that age?

Cpl. G

I didn't understand that you had the option of sitting out your enlistment in a pogue situation. While you still can probably get back in with the waiver, imagine how much better it would look if you stuck it out and received an honorable discharge? If you leave with an honorable you will basically be assured medical acceptance to the PLC program, while it might take a few years with the medical. Why not stick with the 01 billet and knock some college credits out at night? Right now you have the ability to make the decision as to whether or not this injury is going to be something that becomes a beaureucratic battle that involves high level politicians, or a matter of telling the doc at MEPS "No, it hasn't hurt in years".

I realize you didn't join the Marines to be an admin guy, and I realize it's frustrating to see time tick by while you would like to pursue bigger and better things than morning reports, but don't F*** yourself here.

Good luck, Cpl

PRIMBESY

Corporal
Cpl G,
After serving four years as a 0151 I totally agree with Taxman2A. In just three years with HQBN of 2dMarDiv I managed to get a two-year college degree completed, while attending at least one 7-day field OP every other month. From what I have heard from base admin dogs, they never go out in the field so you might want to think about that as an option. Once I got discharged, I got my BBA in about two years. Although, I think it'll take you the same amount of time to get your four-year while staying active. Bases like Camp Lejuene, Quantico and Pendleton have colleges that offer courses in 8-week sessions and will help you in any way possible to get your degree quickly.

In conclusion, finishing your time while attending night classes would be the most logical solution in your case, if you'll have that option. What do you have to loose??? DOD will pay for your school and your GiBill will stay untouched for future education needs; you'll continue to get paid on active duty; and you'll continue to accumulate retirement years.

Good Luck Semper Fi

AirRyan

While we're on the subject, what's the max age for a prior enlisted 6322 with 3.5 on active duty who was medically discharged RE-3P? It was an honorable discharge and all so I was told that if I could ever get my medical condition corrected that I would be eligble to come back in, but I may be too old before that happens. (long story) I never realized how much I would miss the Corps until I was out and back in College!

ZGXtreme

Corporal of Grunts
Thank you for the replies. Go to the NavHosp tomorrow and find out what will happen. Kinda hope I get the boot. Not that I want out but should I stay in any longer it will push me past the 27.5 yo limit.

Started contacting schools... got lucky and the university in my home town just so happens to have a retired Recon/Force Officer as the Transitions Rep. So after he found out my history he expressed his desire to help. That and he works often with the OSO that I talked to so it may work out.

BUT... all hinges on tomorrow...

Cpl. G

Status
Not open for further replies.