• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiver for beard

BigRed389

None
Why do Shoes roam around the boat in polyester coveralls when "everyone is a firefighter?" Logic is not their forte.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the regular coveralls are "fire resistant." If you're talking about the engineering coveralls, I'm pretty sure those are even more fire resistant, other than the glaring flaw of having a pocket flap that goes all the way through.

And if you're fighting a no shit fire, that's what an FFE is for.

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
If they aren't worried about firefighting/mask seal problems during the beard growing period underway, doesn't that make that reasoning seem weak? Why couldn't you just have a beard all the time, as long as it was maintained within regs?

Because you and I know, as does most everyone else... Sailors will be Sailors, and will always push the boundaries of established limits (especially related to hair length/beard limitations) until it finally gets out of hand. I witnessed this personally as a DO, Det. OinC & DH in the '70s, during CNO Zumwalt's tenure. I love my Sailors dearly but, that's just the way it rolls.;)
BzB

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
As a guy who used to get razor bumps bad enough to where it hurt to shave:

I went to the doc and asked for something. I some stuff to put on my face every morning after I shaved. It helped. I also talked to a few people and changed up my shaving routine.I had a 48 hr "no shave chit", which was more like a prescription for the stuff doc gave me. (The directions specifically said don't shae for 48 hrs prior to the first use)

@RaginCajun - Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how I fixed my issues sans no-shave chit.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yeah, I'm pretty sure the regular coveralls are "fire resistant." If you're talking about the engineering coveralls, I'm pretty sure those are even more fire resistant, other than the glaring flaw of having a pocket flap that goes all the way through.

And if you're fighting a no shit fire, that's what an FFE is for.

Look at the back of your regular coveralls. They're something like 70% polyester. Even if the other 30 is Aramid (which I don't believe it is), that's a lot of plastic on your skin in a fire. The engineering coveralls for all DC stations is relatively new, at least on the small boys. Prior to that, they were only for the Snipes (due to cost). But yes, those are all heavy duty fire-resistant material.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Look at the back of your regular coveralls. They're something like 70% polyester. Even if the other 30 is Aramid (which I don't believe it is), that's a lot of plastic on your skin in a fire. The engineering coveralls for all DC stations is relatively new, at least on the small boys. Prior to that, they were only for the Snipes (due to cost). But yes, those are all heavy duty fire-resistant material.

According to the FAQ for the NWU, "Navy uniforms are required to meet specific fire retardant standards." It makes one wonder what those standards actually are and what the required resistance must actually be.

I wonder why there wouldn't be a fire resistant version of the NWU similar to the FRACU.

Because you and I know, as does most everyone else... Sailors will be Sailors, and will always push the boundaries of established limits (especially related to hair length/beard limitations) until it finally gets out of hand. I witnessed this personally as a DO, Det. OinC & DH in the '70s, during CNO Zumwalt's tenure. I love my Sailors dearly but, that's just the way it rolls.;)
BzB
I get the impression that today's Navy puts a lot more emphasis on following uniform regulations (perhaps too much). I knew a few enlisted sailors that would actually put military creases in the backs of their coveralls. Of course, they were all supply types with access to the big uniform press. I think they looked ridiculous though.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This still goes on. It still looks ridiculous.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I wash my flight suit sometimes, 3, even 4 times a year. With 4 flight suits, that's more than once a month. I even shine my boots once a quarter, whether they need it or not.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
According to the FAQ for the NWU, "Navy uniforms are required to meet specific fire retardant standards." It makes one wonder what those standards actually are and what the required resistance must actually be.

Maybe that requirement surfaced after they started the NWU program. The coveralls have been around for a long time, so that might be why they don't meet that standard.

I wash my flight suit sometimes, 3, even 4 times a year...

One of my favorite talking points I've heard for Primary studs when they check in with STUCON: "Wash your damn flight suit! Instructors don't want to smell you when you're jammed in the briefing spaces."

phrogpilot73

As a guy who used to get razor bumps bad enough to where it hurt to shave:

I went to the doc and asked for something. I some stuff to put on my face every morning after I shaved. It helped. I also talked to a few people and changed up my shaving routine.I had a 48 hr "no shave chit", which was more like a prescription for the stuff doc gave me. (The directions specifically said don't shae for 48 hrs prior to the first use)

@RaginCajun - Shoot me a PM and I'll tell you how I fixed my issues sans no-shave chit.
I used to get massive irritation as well. I found a blog about shaving, and ended up using King of Shaves products. They have a mantra of "Prime, Shave, Protect." Prime = wash your face with a good cleanser, Shave = I use King of Shaves shave oil, followed by their gel - once I get both on my face, I shave (with a blade that I keep VERY sharp with the Blade Buddy), then I Protect with a skin conditioner. No more irritation.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I used to get massive irritation as well. I found a blog about shaving, and ended up using King of Shaves products. They have a mantra of "Prime, Shave, Protect." Prime = wash your face with a good cleanser, Shave = I use King of Shaves shave oil, followed by their gel - once I get both on my face, I shave (with a blade that I keep VERY sharp with the Blade Buddy), then I Protect with a skin conditioner. No more irritation.

What kind of blade do you use? I use the art of shaving stuff: pre shave oil after I shower, bristle brush to lather up and their aftershave, but I'm still biting the bullet and paying 40 bucks at costco for my fusion razor blades.