• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Waiting on MEPS. Normal?

kb714

I’m trying to get an idea if my timeline waiting for MEPS is normal. I submitted my medical information and application for PAO and Intel June 5. Since then, my recruiter has said we are waiting to hear back from MEPS. I check in with her periodically. Last month, they followed up twice, both times asking for the first day of my last period for two different months (this info is easy to gain in person and is on my medical).

We are about to wrap up August. Is this timeline normal? I have been fortunate to have been very healthy my whole life and submitted every relevant medical record I could obtain with my form.

exNavyOffRec

I’m trying to get an idea if my timeline waiting for MEPS is normal. I submitted my medical information and application for PAO and Intel June 5. Since then, my recruiter has said we are waiting to hear back from MEPS. I check in with her periodically. Last month, they followed up twice, both times asking for the first day of my last period for two different months (this info is easy to gain in person and is on my medical).

We are about to wrap up August. Is this timeline normal? I have been fortunate to have been very healthy my whole life and submitted every relevant medical record I could obtain with my form.
Not normal, your recruiter should be verifying it was received and if they need some other info.

PAO and Intel are 2 very different roles and for reserves you should have a history of working in that field, did your recruiter dive into your background or just say "OK" and submit your info to MEPS?

FormerRecruitingGuru

Making Recruiting Great Again

The MEPS process can take weeks or even months depending on what was sent up. If you sent up a bible of medical documents, that could be why.

Most recruiters are given a tracker which lists applicants and their MEPS status.

kb714

Not normal, your recruiter should be verifying it was received and if they need some other info.

PAO and Intel are 2 very different roles and for reserves you should have a history of working in that field, did your recruiter dive into your background or just say "OK" and submit your info to MEPS?
Thanks for your response. I am uniquely qualified for both positions so I don't think that is the issue here.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Thanks for your response. I am uniquely qualified for both positions so I don't think that is the issue here.

Not throwing the BS flag, but I find it difficult to fathom meeting the work experience requirements for two different fields of work. Unless you are prior / current enlisted in one field (say intel) and currently working in another field for your civilian work (say PA) - it's difficult to convey to the boards and interviews that you're the jack of many trades.

When I was handling reserve recruiting, I would always be approached by applicants who would try to press their luck or feel they are competitive even though they barely meet the PA requirements. As what a senior officer who interviewed many DCO candidates have told me, you should be living, eating and breathing the work experience that is being desired.

kb714

I appreciate your feedback, but I am confident in my qualifications and will let the boards decide where I belong based on those.

kb714

The MEPS process can take weeks or even months depending on what was sent up. If you sent up a bible of medical documents, that could be why.

Most recruiters are given a tracker which lists applicants and their MEPS status.
Thanks! I guess I feel a little better knowing that it could take this long. They asked for medical docs on every exception I listed (which wasn't much) so that's all I sent with it. It's frustrating knowing that this process could weed out a lot of very qualified candidates who want to serve.

exNavyOffRec

Are you currently working in Public Affairs? Most of those selected have either worked in the public affairs office as enlisted or have worked in journalism with a civilian company, the ones I saw picked up were actual reporters or doing public affairs work with a large company.

The ones picked up for Intel either were prior enlisted in the IWC field or were working as an Intel analyst for a government agency.

These are 2 unique and different careers and they like to select people who are currently working in the field they are applying to.

There are a few other things to consider, it is not just the boards that will decide your fate, it is the panel interview prior to the board. If they see you trying for several designators not in the same group (ex: IWC) they might question your commitment. If the panel sees you have put their designator as #2 they would have a hard time giving you top scores compared to a person who is "all in" on their designator. These are all things that those who have put in for DCO have dealt with, and in almost all cases going for 2 different DCO programs doesn't go well.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Are you currently working in Public Affairs? Most of those selected have either worked in the public affairs office as enlisted or have worked in journalism with a civilian company, the ones I saw picked up were actual reporters or doing public affairs work with a large company.

The ones picked up for Intel either were prior enlisted in the IWC field or were working as an Intel analyst for a government agency.

These are 2 unique and different careers and they like to select people who are currently working in the field they are applying to.

There are a few other things to consider, it is not just the boards that will decide your fate, it is the panel interview prior to the board. If they see you trying for several designators not in the same group (ex: IWC) they might question your commitment. If the panel sees you have put their designator as #2 they would have a hard time giving you top scores compared to a person who is "all in" on their designator. These are all things that those who have put in for DCO have dealt with, and in almost all cases going for 2 different DCO programs doesn't go well.

This is what I was trying to go with this discussion. I would say PA is probably one of the toughest and even arguably "savage" programs. During my time in recruiting, the PAO community wouldn't even entertain candidates who I felt meet the program authorization requirements, even if they happen to not be competitive.

The DCO PAO selects I've seen are (1) often enlisted with PA experience and / or (2) have extensive public affairs experience in a large corporation. Linked is one example of someone with no military experience get selected:

DCO Intel has shifted over the years to be more of a "wild card" program and have selected candidates with little to no direct intel experience, as long as the member meets the experience requirements outlined in the PA.

exNavyOffRec

DCO Intel has shifted over the years to be more of a "wild card" program and have selected candidates with little to no direct intel experience, as long as the member meets the experience requirements outlined in the PA.
I saw something similar in DCO Supply, but the person knew the right people, I wonder if there is some of that when it comes to DCO Intel, it also used to be that most of the selects came from the DC area, and I know many worked in the field, but others might have been due to knowing people?

FormerRecruitingGuru

I saw something similar in DCO Supply, but the person knew the right people, I wonder if there is some of that when it comes to DCO Intel, it also used to be that most of the selects came from the DC area, and I know many worked in the field, but others might have been due to knowing people?

The reserve Intel community just wanted to expand the window of applicants beyond those working in DC and/or intel analysts. Think other fields, like cloud/AI, data science, analytics, etc.

In my civilian profession a college who works in risk / data management wanted to pursue DCO. She has an MBA. Despite the lack of direct “Intel” experience the community manager liked her resume and encouraged her to apply.

number9

Contributor
This is what I was trying to go with this discussion. I would say PA is probably one of the toughest and even arguably "savage" programs. During my time in recruiting, the PAO community wouldn't even entertain candidates who I felt meet the program authorization requirements, even if they happen to not be competitive.

The DCO PAO selects I've seen are (1) often enlisted with PA experience and / or (2) have extensive public affairs experience in a large corporation. Linked is one example of someone with no military experience get selected:

Zabala was in my class. There was another DCO PAO candidate in my class; to your point, he was a prior enlisted MC and was very good at the job.

FormerRecruitingGuru

Zabala was in my class. There was another DCO PAO candidate in my class; to your point, he was a prior enlisted MC and was very good at the job.

One of my closest friends was a DCO PAO with zero prior experience. He taught mass communications / public affairs at a local university and did various PAO-like work. Masters degree.