• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

Rg9

pilot
You'll only have a clear cut answer when you pin on your wings. Sorry to say, but that's the reality. The military is a big bureaucracy. There is a mission to accomplish, and the desires of individuals don't matter except to the extent that it better accomplishes the mission when people enjoy their work and do what they want. Things change all the time, and the biggest factor is ALWAYS needs of the service.

That being said, it sounds like you've tried for awhile. All I can say is don't give up. I know this seems hard, but if you do get in there will be much harder things you'll have to work through. If you give up on trying to get in, I doubt you would have made it through OCS (if you go that route), Flight School, etc. You'll never know, however, unless you try.

Ask yourself this: what could I do that will bring regret? And then do whatever it is that brings the least. You will be much happier if you try your hardest and fail then if you don't try.

Don't second guess what has happened. Strive for what is to come. Trust that the Almighty has a plan if you seek it out.

Ok, enough of the pep talk... Stepping away from the preacher's podium...

I really hope you make it in. I'll pray you do. Keep trying until they say you're too old.;)

cgoetz

Thanks a lot sir. Its nice to have somebody words of encouragement. I know I'm gonna keep fighting for it now. I would say more but I think you pinned so well that there is nothing else left to say. No matter what happens now, now matter what people tell me I gotta keep until they say can't apply anymore. I try to keep you informed about what is going on.

Reactions: Rg9

cgoetz

Once again RG 9 thanks for the motivational speech it really helped. I just wanted to know one more thing. Do you happen to remember how long it took you to get your waiver? Only reason I ask is I'm trying to get into BDCP and I only have a year, and I here the waiver process can take over a year sometimes 2 in some cases. Just trying to get an idea

Rg9

pilot
Well, for ROTC it didn't take more than a few months. For the aviation stuff, I'm not really sure how long it took (probably not very long for that either). I'm not sure how your process goes, though. It might take longer.

Glad my speech helped!

cgoetz

probably tke fucking forever with BDCP. At least thats what I hear. Hope I can get it done within a year. Thanks
Also hope it not just a special thing for ROTC

cgoetz

Need to get this off my mind

Well, this is sort of something I have brought up before but its a little different. You see I really want to become a naval aviator but here is my problem I need to get a waiver for ADD and Depression. After doing some research and talking to some Navy doctors I have found that the ADD will probably not be an issue although I could be wrong. However the problem seems to be the depression. You see when I was in High School I was having some tough times. I was the kid who was constantly getting picked on in school by other kids and was having trouble with my schoolwork, I'm sure many of you have had similiar expiriences. Anyway my parents so it was really affecting me and took me to a psychiatrist and after explaining to her my problem and she diagnosed me as having depression on top of having issues with ADD. She ended up giving me medication for my ADD and some stuff they had me on some stuff for a little while for the depression Towards the end of High School I was weened of my meds for the ADD and the doctors didn't feel I didn't needed them any more and my parents wanted me off them for college . This is not the end of the story however later on towards the end of my sophmore year of college at Embry Riddle I dropped out of school and became depressed because of that and also because I thought I had did something that was going to get me arrested, however I found out later that what I did wasn't that bad and I had actually done the right thing. By then though the damage had already been done. During that time I had gone to see psychiatrist again and this time I was dignosed as having major depressive disorder and I said things that looking back now I realize I sad because I thought I was in a lot of trouble. One of the major things that I said was something about suicidal thoughts. Now mind you I have never had a plan to commit suicide I just said I thought about. It was listed in the record as suicidal tendacies. I was also given meds for this depression although I was only on it for about a month or so and I stopped taking them. Shortly after I returned to school. This last incident occured almost two years ago and know I'm about to graduate from Embry Riddle this Spring. I have had follow ups with a private doctor who wrote a letter stating to the affect that Ihave no longer any issues with depression in fact he didn't even mention any issues of the suicidal thoughts in his letter. I'm planning to submit this letter in with my package because I will eel it will help me with my waivers. My only concern is when the medical board at MEPS looks at my records and they see the two instances of depression being mentioned along with the suicide thoughts which were mentioned at both times that even the letter from the doctor who was very favorable won't even taken into consideration. This Damn thing happened so long ago and I think at the time I was just angry and confused and I wasn't as mature as I was know. I just feel like I won't ever be given a chance to prove that I don't have a problem and be given the same chance as people who haven't had issues. I know I'm being hard I myself and I know I should just stop whinning and keep pushing ahead because I know what I want and I shouldn't let anything discourage but this is just something that has been eating at me for a long time. I really want to be in the Navy, I wanted to be in there since I was six years old and I really wanna fly for them. My parents are totally behind and told me I just have to push ahead and see what happens, and they said if iget rejected who is to say I can't apply again. I guess I'm just looking for answers. Sorry to unload so much but I had to get it out. GO NAVY

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Apply. Worst thing they can do is say no. If they say no, go to more doctors, get more notes, and apply again. Don't let other people determine your future. YOU determine your future.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Go to the Psychiatry section of the waiver guide (link at the top of 'DOCs CORNER).

I think you will find that if you follow the directions in 14.8 that things should go your way.

cgoetz

Yeah sorry for it being so long but I figured the only for people to understand where I was coming from was to be thorough.

Brunes

pilot
Good on you for getting everything taken care or and keeping your eye on your goals. So much work already-You gotta put in your app. They may make it hard- They may say no...but keep trying.

Hope it works out for you-Good luck.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's doable. I got into NROTC and then aviation on psych waivers for depression issues and suicidal gestures. It's not an easy process, but you are far from alone in terms of getting waivers.

Birdog8585

Milk and Honey
pilot
Contributor
Keep your head up and and don't let anybody tell you that "you cant" or "you wont." I'm going to tell you right now that in this community you're going to need some rhino skin and a rubber a$$hole. You will get told early on from your instructors that you are never going to make it, your landings suck, your EPs suck, etc, etc. Just understand what all of that harsh criticism is for. They are going to stress you out to ensure that when you are on your own in the fleet with a bunch of souls in the back of your helo and you start taking ground fire, loose your hydraulic systems and your copilot gets knocked unconscious, you don't buckle under the pressure of everything else that is going on around you and deal with the situation.

Just remember, you are your own worst enemy, nobody else. You can do anything you put your mind to and don't let anybody tell you any different. Have confidence, stand tall and kick ass.

Semper Fi