• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

waitin on meps

donttreadonme

And I just heard back from meps. Disqualified. My recruiter says this is permanent and applies for all branches. Needless to say, I'm not happy.

donttreadonme

My recruiter said on the phone it was something like "disqualified for depression, anxiety, and social phobia". Social phobia???? I was like what the fuck. I was never diagnosed with anything like that. My only diagnosis was 309.28 - Adjustment Disorder with mixed Anxiety and Depressed Mood. AND I've been over it for nearly four years. What a load of bullshit. I'm going to talk to the recruiter in person tomorrow and take a look at exactly whatever meps sent him. You'd think they'd at least want me to have an up-to-date psych eval before making a decision.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
cgoetz,
As you know adjustment disorder is temporarily CD. Until resolved. It is possible, maybe, that you can wait around get this issue taken care of and apply at a later date.

One of my guys was hit with the adjustment disorder diagnosis after a messy divorce. (hence the reference in my pm to you) He was not allowed to fly/do hazardous duty for a year. Good guy, winged, but that is how long it took for his treatment. Your treatment may not last as long.

revan1986

Pro Rec SWO
Did you guys go to MEPS before hearing this? I went today and my papers had something circled "physically qualified" somewhere but I failed the depth perception test. Is this something that will require a waiver? Do they tell you about failure at the station, or do you get called later?

p.s. Meps was a lot of fun. There was a minor issue with my paperwork, which meant I got to sit around for 6 hours before finally taking the medical exam.

cgoetz

Well let me just clarify something I do not currently have any issues with adjustment disorder. What the doctor I saw did was re-evaluate my passed episodes with depression and aftwards made the determination that I had issues with adjustment disorder. He made note of this in a letter which was sent to meps by a recruiter and now I have been dissaproved. I need to find out if you can re-apply again for a waiver after you have been dissapproved.

donttreadonme

Well, it is my understanding that whether or not you can reapply depends on where in the waiver process you got stopped. The meps doctor can give you one of three answers: PQ - this is a green light meaning you can go ahead and do the physical. DQ with waiver recommended - this means you are disqualified but you can physical if you get a waiver. DQ with no waiver recommended - this means permanent disqualification. If you got the third option, then you're screwed. If you got the second option, then it wasn't actually meps that denied your waiver request. It was some officer in the navy. And you should be able to reapply at a later date (or you could try with another branch right away). Ask your recruiter exactly who disapproved your request.

cgoetz

Well my recruiter did say that I could reapply, I made sure to pin him down on this. He said that there was nothing specifically saying that I could not reapply. He said I could try the other branches. Bottom line is I can go again for a waiver. He said I can always can get some follow up like a new eval or even take that Minesota personality test. He said that the thing that was holding me up was my history. The last write ups by the doctors were fine. My only option right now is to wait.

g3shooter1

I too have a question regarding psychological waivers.

I found this thread by chance and want to become a groundpounder in the USMC.

Only problem is that I have had OCD since I was 9. I am now 21 and 2 months shy of being completely off meds. My doctors think that I have been cured of my OCD and will issue letters stating such. The symptoms of my OCD started to go away towards the end of my teens, so it is very possible that I merely had a case of adolescent OCD (and may get re evaluated to see if that is the case).

Here is the interesting part, all of the recruiters I have talked to have told me that right now it would be hopeless for me to join. No waivers will be approved due to the rough economy and all the enlistees that do not require waivers. They advised me to wait a few years, and I have decided that waiting 5 years off meds would be a good plan, as it would show that I can function normally without them.

My hope is that I will be temporary disqualified with waiver recommended. Then when I get all the paperwork sent up to BUMED, the doctors who see it will think "Well he WAS on meds for 12 years, but has been off for over 5 and has two doctors stating that the majority of problems affected him during adolescence."

I saw that it can be waivered for pilots who got it when they were in the military, but what about new enlistees? Do I have any shot at all?

ETA: I realize that this is an aviation forum and I want to be a groundpounder, but I bet that there are some people that are overly qualified to answer.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
Answered in another thread. Hey, g3, maybe next time only pose this question once. Sorta one of the unwritten rules around here.

I too have a question regarding psychological waivers.

I found this thread by chance and want to become a groundpounder in the USMC.

Only problem is that I have had OCD since I was 9. I am now 21 and 2 months shy of being completely off meds. My doctors think that I have been cured of my OCD and will issue letters stating such. The symptoms of my OCD started to go away towards the end of my teens, so it is very possible that I merely had a case of adolescent OCD (and may get re evaluated to see if that is the case).

Here is the interesting part, all of the recruiters I have talked to have told me that right now it would be hopeless for me to join. No waivers will be approved due to the rough economy and all the enlistees that do not require waivers. They advised me to wait a few years, and I have decided that waiting 5 years off meds would be a good plan, as it would show that I can function normally without them.

My hope is that I will be temporary disqualified with waiver recommended. Then when I get all the paperwork sent up to BUMED, the doctors who see it will think "Well he WAS on meds for 12 years, but has been off for over 5 and has two doctors stating that the majority of problems affected him during adolescence."

I saw that it can be waivered for pilots who got it when they were in the military, but what about new enlistees? Do I have any shot at all?

ETA: I realize that this is an aviation forum and I want to be a groundpounder, but I bet that there are some people that are overly qualified to answer.

Skywalker

Student Naval Aviator
Figured this was the only place to put this question, based off of the name of the thread.

Does MEPS hold off on seeing people in the weeks prior to new fiscal years? That was the hypothesis of a veteran coworker of mine who has recruiter experience. I had all of my "reply paperwork" into MEPS by August, and my recruiter still hasn't heard anything in the vein of "be at _____ place at _____ time."

exNavyOffRec

Figured this was the only place to put this question, based off of the name of the thread.

Does MEPS hold off on seeing people in the weeks prior to new fiscal years? That was the hypothesis of a veteran coworker of mine who has recruiter experience. I had all of my "reply paperwork" into MEPS by August, and my recruiter still hasn't heard anything in the vein of "be at _____ place at _____ time."

no