• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wait Time For IFS

panzerfinder15

A long time, if you want it and are NFO

I checked in July 2007, and I started IFS February 2008, seven glorious months of getting paid to work out and play Halo 3. I'm NFO, navy, and I was med down for 5 weeks because a darn redneck decided to rear end me, so I should have started in December. Trust me, drive defensively in Florida. NFO's can have a very long wait, but, if you talk to the ENS in charge of the IFS list in FLTMGT then he or she will usually put you on the next available list. Start time primarily depends on your designator, how fast you check all of your boxes (medical, anthro, helmet, etc.), and if you want to go fast or not. My pal who wanted to get through fast started IFS 3weeks after he checked in (Dec 2007 grad, reported Jan 11, 2008). My friends who were May 2007 ROTC grads like myself, but SNA, had about a 4-8 week wait, and the typical NFO wait for the past summer grads was about 4-5 months (which means you are required to get a stash job). Most Academy grads are IFS complete, so they get priority for API, and shouldn't affect IFS too much.
You won't get in trouble if you drag your feet like I did. I never asked to get front of line privileges, I let those eager go ahead of myself on the lists, but I never missed a deadline, just cut it as close to the deadline as possible (for those of you who frown on this, I purchased my house, so as to ensure that I live here for at least two years to avoid paying capitol gains tax, and to give my wife time to establish her career early). Plus I was stashed in a critical job, which may I add that if a chill stash opens up to you, like Gedunk (once a week), Museum (twice a week), pool (only heard good things), or TW-6 (get a free flight suit) volunteer, because it will guarantee that you don't get a crap job like legal, which is 40 hours per week, and will likely prolong your stay here. Then again, like I said earlier, if you want to get though fast, just talk with Flight Management Ensigns. They are very understanding and, at least when I was in A pool, will put you on the list ahead of others if you ask.
Bottom line, wait time depends on how fast you check the boxes, if you ask to be placed on a list (ask weekly to get through fast, especially if you have a family and just want to move on from P-cola), SNA vs. NFO, branch of service (navy appears to be slowest, then marines, with air force being fastest), and how many people you check in with (more people=possible longer wait). As a final note, the weather has been crappy the last month (february) and will be crappy the next month, which means that the IFS schools won't be able to get people through very fast (I've had 14 weather days in the last month, putting me 6 days behind schedule) and that the wait time will be longer. When the weather clears up, then the schools can fly more people more often and they will be able to take more people, making the wait time shorter. Bottom line, there is no perfect estimate to figure when you will start IFS due to all the variables I've listed, but you can count on longer times in the summer, and shorter times in the winter, and hopefully can get a good idea from all that I said.
Sorry if I digressed, but I just did 11 landings today and passed my FAA exam with flying colors and have had a couple glasses of wine with my wife to celebrate. Hope this info helps someone.
Congratulations on your graduation yesterday!

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
You can always expect a longer wait time during the summers (May-Jul) than in the winters (Jan-Mar). Hopefully this makes sense to everyone....May-Jul is when we commission most of our NROTC/USNA Ensigns.

I echo what MB says above: Muster, PT, then screw off....

-ea6bflyr ;)

SnipeDude

Cleveland Brown Fan
BOLTC (1 week leadership class) is now required in order to start IFS so you can add that to the checklist.

MasterBates

My honest take:

BOLTC should be a post-RAG deal. The info presented there is not exactly useful in flight school, but having it fresh when you check into a fleet squadron and BAM! become a Divo would be great.

Morgan81

It's not my lawn. It's OUR lawn.
pilot
Contributor
BOLTC (1 week leadership class) is now required in order to start IFS so you can add that to the checklist.
But, if you're IFS complete, it is not required to start API (unless things have changed in the past 8 weeks.)