• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Wait for Recruiter or Just Start Application?

Chobbs94

Hello all,
I’ve recently decided to pursue Navy OCS to be an SNA. I’ve tried multiple times to contact my Officer Recruiting office from the Navy website to no avail. They just don’t answer. The office is in Texas, which is all kinds of crazy at the moment, so that could be part of it.

On the OCS application website, it says to talk to a recruiter before starting an app to make sure they can track progress, but I’d like to just start as soon as possible. Would it be okay to just start the process on my own and then contact them later to schedule MEPS and ASTB stuff?

Thanks in advance!

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Hello all,
I’ve recently decided to pursue Navy OCS to be an SNA. I’ve tried multiple times to contact my Officer Recruiting office from the Navy website to no avail. They just don’t answer. The office is in Texas, which is all kinds of crazy at the moment, so that could be part of it.

On the OCS application website, it says to talk to a recruiter before starting an app to make sure they can track progress, but I’d like to just start as soon as possible. Would it be okay to just start the process on my own and then contact them later to schedule MEPS and ASTB stuff?

Thanks in advance!

Everything has to go through your recruiter. If you're having trouble getting ahold of your local recruiter, try contacting the district headquarters. They should be able to get the most up to date info for a recruiter near you. I had a recruiter up and retire on me and another one transfer without ever telling me. I had to call the district HQ to get a new one. It was a real pain in the ass.

Scruff

None
Contributor
Recruiters are notoriously hard to get in touch with. They don't want their time wasted. Find a way to first contact them, and show that you've been proactive with your research and preparation to get things going. Know what it takes to complete the application process and don't ask dumb questions. Be prepared to start and make it easy on them. One of the first questions they're going to ask is when can you take the ASTB. If you're not ready, that's on you. Start getting letters of recommendation if you haven't already. Just show that you're serious and you're not going to waste their time.

hookskip

pilot
I was in a similar situation a decade ago. I call and left numerous voice messages without receiving a reply. So I filled out the application, requested the LORs, and studied for the ASTB in the mean time. Once I had all of that together and I was ready to take the test, I went to the NRD (about 30 mins away) and asked to see the officer recruiter. The rest is history.

It is hard for them to turn someone away when they are physically there in front of them, showing motivation by having some/all of the required items in hand. Had I waited for them to call back they may never have, as they are not exactly hurting for officer candidates. Good luck in the process!

surf3001x

Fully Qualified
Hello all,

Thanks in advance!

To echo some of the other replies - you definitely might have to track them down. I personally had to have a friend reach out to a Master Chief in my region to get me the phone number, that got me eventually connected to my OR.

If you don't have those sort of connections, I'd pop on a mask and go to the closest store-front and request to speak to someone or get a POC.

I'd bring your transcripts from school, any relevant certifications (guessing ground school is done?) and be within appearance regs. A recruiter is going to take someone who looks purposely squared away more seriously then someone who isn't. If they aren't there I'd call daily and stop by often all while putting in multiple requests on the website. Stay tenacious!

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
I'd pop on a mask and go to the closest store-front and request to speak to someone or get a POC.
Just be careful because most storefronts are enlisted recruiters trying to fill their quota. They tend to try and tell you things like “the best officers are enlisted first.”, “You have to enlisted and then apply for OCS after you finish boot camp.” and other such lies.

If you go to a storefront insist you want to speak to an officer recruiter. Walk out if they try and bullshit you.

exNavyOffRec

To echo some of the other replies - you definitely might have to track them down. I personally had to have a friend reach out to a Master Chief in my region to get me the phone number, that got me eventually connected to my OR.

If you don't have those sort of connections, I'd pop on a mask and go to the closest store-front and request to speak to someone or get a POC.

I'd bring your transcripts from school, any relevant certifications (guessing ground school is done?) and be within appearance regs. A recruiter is going to take someone who looks purposely squared away more seriously then someone who isn't. If they aren't there I'd call daily and stop by often all while putting in multiple requests on the website. Stay tenacious!

popping into a store front is the last resort, you are better off looking up the list of NRD's then contacting the officer processor at the closest NRD who will give you an OR contact.