• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

VTU Gouge

rotorhead1871

UH-1N.....NAS Agana, Guam....circa 1975
pilot
Like VXC said, URL's, Intel and a few staff folks from 0-3 to 0-5. And they are actually extending folks, at least three in my unit, O-3 to O-5. Why? From my small view of the reserves the bulk of the pre-9/11 reservists (folks who were in before then) who stuck around through all the IA's are finally having to retire, we have had about 10 O-5/6's retire out of my unit alone in the past 3 years, and they don't have enough folks to fill the billets they are leaving behind. With a MOB pretty certain nowadays that doesn't provide a big incentive for folks tired of the deployment schedule for the last decade and a half to join.
that is going to be a challenge, extending guys is such a bandaid fix, as the unit needs new bods to keep it going. since deployments are coming.....that even makes the situation more dreadful.

good luck.

AFUAW

pilot
Sorry if this has been answered before. I have "heard" but not read that in the VTU I can't be MOB'd (aside from a WWIII scenario). I was wondering if anyone had something more official on this.

I'm fairly new to SELRES, but with my 24 month deferment expiring soon, the wife in school again, and a baby on the horizon, I'm exploring my options to avoid a MOB for the next few years, and then maybe rejoin SELRES at later date, but I'd like to keep earning good years.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sorry if this has been answered before. I have "heard" but not read that in the VTU I can't be MOB'd (aside from a WWIII scenario). I was wondering if anyone had something more official on this.

I'm fairly new to SELRES, but with my 24 month deferment expiring soon, the wife in school again, and a baby on the horizon, I'm exploring my options to avoid a MOB for the next few years, and then maybe rejoin SELRES at later date, but I'd like to keep earning good years.

I'll ask but I don't think there is anything 'official' on this because I know of a handful of folks who actually have been MOB'd from the IRR and I don't think the Navy wants to limit itself to who it can MOB anyways. That said you are pretty certain not to get MOB'd in the IRR, the very few folks who I know of being MOB'd from the IRR in the Navy had specialized skills, were MOB'd for specific billets and weren't URL's.

I would also ask your NOSC, if they were halfway competent they would be able to find the reference but since many NOSC's aren't halfway competent....

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
I'll ask but I don't think there is anything 'official' on this because I know of a handful of folks who actually have been MOB'd from the IRR...
Well, if someone had some obscure language specialty or other rare skill in their record, that would certainly increase their chances.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I'll ask but I don't think there is anything 'official' on this because I know of a handful of folks who actually have been MOB'd from the IRR and I don't think the Navy wants to limit itself to who it can MOB anyways. That said you are pretty certain not to get MOB'd in the IRR, the very few folks who I know of being MOB'd from the IRR in the Navy had specialized skills, were MOB'd for specific billets and weren't URL's.

I would also ask your NOSC, if they were halfway competent they would be able to find the reference but since many NOSC's aren't halfway competent....
Being involuntarily mobilized out of the IRR (there are two IRR flavors: the VTU and the ASP) is next to impossible unless we have another emergency and there are not enough people in SELRES to support. Someone correct me please if this is inaccurate. The last time I heard of people being involuntarily mobilized out of the IRR was back in 2009. Out of curiosity, I will do some research on this.

When I asked a ADMINO from one of the NOSCs about the VTU, his immediate response was, "you know you can still get mobilized from the VTU?" I think there is negative sentiment about the VTU because the NOSC CO is the reporting senior for the VTU unless otherwise delegated. The VTU is there for a reason and if the NOSC naysayers do not like it then they need to sack up and ask CNRFC actual to remove it. Otherwise they need to stuff it and do their jobs as NOSC CO's and support the VTU like any other Reserve unit.

People in the VTU IRR, however, can volunteer to mobilization or go on other orders types (ADT, ADSW, etc.). You will hear certain turds at the NOSCs telling you otherwise, which is referenced in RESPERS M-1001.5, so always ask for them to cite the applicable reference when they tell you anything.

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Being involuntarily mobilized out of the IRR (there are two IRR flavors: the VTU and the ASP) is next to impossible unless we have another emergency and there are not enough people in SELRES to support. Someone correct me please if this is inaccurate. The last time I heard of people being involuntarily mobilized out of the IRR was back in 2009. Out of curiosity, I will do some research on this.

I went through mobilization prep with an IRR LT who had been involuntarily MOB'd in 2010, she had a pretty unique background and was MOB'd for a specific billet that fit her skill set though. I knew of 2-3 others around that time too. So it is very rare but still possible, not as rare as a SEAL/MD/Astronaut but it has happened which is why I doubt there is a reg or instruction explicitly stating that IRR's are exempt from MOB's (AFUAW's question).

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
I went through mobilization prep with an IRR LT who had been involuntarily MOB'd in 2010, she had a pretty unique background and was MOB'd for a specific billet that fit her skill set though. I knew of 2-3 others around that time too. So it is very rare but still possible, not as rare as a SEAL/MD/Astronaut but it has happened which is why I doubt there is a reg or instruction explicitly stating that IRR's are exempt from MOB's (AFUAW's question).
Yeah, that was "back in the day." I've never heard of it since then. That is, the 2009/2010 time frame and prior.

IRR's are not exempt from mobilization, however your odds are slim to none these days given current OPTEMPO, number of volunteers, and current manning. By manning I am only referring to NIFR designators (Intel, CW, IP, etc.). Currently, these designators are manned:

1835/INTEL: 100% at O4 and 108% at O3

1825/IP: 83% at O4 and 105% at O3

1815/CW: 99% at O4 and 82% at O3

These O4 manning numbers do not take into account remaining promotions for this FY17 and Reserve promotion phasing requires 60% of promotions to occur the last 4 months of the FY.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
Yikes. What is the % at ENS and JG?
I would have to ask. I only ask for O3 and O4 numbers. O1's and O2's don't really matter because the first ~18 - 24 months is spent on qualifying. People are supposed to get it done in 18 months but you can request an extension.

snake020

Contributor
Yeah, that was "back in the day." I've never heard of it since then. That is, the 2009/2010 time frame and prior.

IRR's are not exempt from mobilization, however your odds are slim to none these days given current OPTEMPO, number of volunteers, and current manning. By manning I am only referring to NIFR designators (Intel, CW, IP, etc.). Currently, these designators are manned:

1835/INTEL: 100% at O4 and 108% at O3

1825/IP: 83% at O4 and 105% at O3

1815/CW: 99% at O4 and 82% at O3

These O4 manning numbers do not take into account remaining promotions for this FY17 and Reserve promotion phasing requires 60% of promotions to occur the last 4 months of the FY.

I thought manning was by year group?

snake020

Contributor
Given recent changes to the IRR, this is a good time to bump this thread and ask - if I go VTU as an O-4, what can I expect? Is it like being an O-1 on AD or an O-6 at the Pentagon?

I was in the VTU as an O4..."XO" on my fitrep. I only know my NOSC, but almost every officer was farmed out to a unit, where you did a normal reservist job...with no pay. If you're like me and stick to the VTU proper, it's sort of a nightmare as you get hit lists for 1,000 sailors a month who you've never seen and have little to no contact info on.

I think if you went VTU and chopped over to a good unit/CO, he/she would appreciate the free labor and accommodate any needs you might have.